The Student Room Group

How much are you getting for your GCSEs?

Are you getting money per grade that you get?
Reply 1
Jeez, lucky ass kids, I didn't get anything.
Reply 2
WHAT?This actually exists?
the hell? i mean if i dont get GCSEs the only thing im getting is a good ol' smacking aha
£0

Spoiler

Reply 5
You shouldn't need a monetary reward to do well in your exams haha
Last year I got a cake for getting A* in maths but who actually gets money for grades lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mates are getting ridiculous amounts of money. One friend gets £2000 if he gets 5 Bs!!! Another mate gets £100 per A*!
My friend mentioned to me how she's getting money for getting an A, but I never thought it actually existed. It's so wrong imo. The only thing I'm getting for finishing my GCSEs is a few days out with friends who live a distance away and a day out to Alton Towers or something, but that's because these are things I don't get to do often and to be fair, I don't mind if I go Alton Towers or not. Getting good grades should be down to your own motivation to be able to get onto your apprenticeship/BTEC/A Level which will help you progress in life, because these are the things that will get you money when you're older, not your parents. Of course we all love having some money, but if it is your sole motivation to great good grades, I don't really know what to say to that.
Nada. I only receive money on birthdays. The highest I've ever received is £570 and sadly spent it all during online shopping for stationary and other unnecessary stuff. I swear I need to work on my spending habits. Could have saved up for something more important like a car.
I don't understand how this is even a thing. Getting a reward of a day out or meal out etc for results day seems nice as a celebration of getting your results back but money for them just seems wrong. They're for your own future, you shouldn't have to be bribed to set yourself up well lol.

Also.. God help parents when they get to a-level / uni exams if they're putting high prices on a damn GCSE haha.
(edited 8 years ago)
God this is SO middle class TSR.

I got a "well done" and a big mac. Was very happy too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mam is buying me festival tickets & a trip to France. I wouldn't accept money from her, but she offered to treat me for working hard & the trip to France is also because I'm taking A-Level French. Last year on results day (I took one exam early) she surprised me with a present & took me for a meal and to the cinema. I am very grateful though :h:
Reply 13
My parents have tried to bribe me lol

£15.00 for every A* I get, £10.00 for every A I get, and £5.00 for every B.

But the catch is that any C means -£5.00
Original post by KanL
My parents have tried to bribe me lol

£15.00 for every A* I get, £10.00 for every A I get, and £5.00 for every B.

But the catch is that any C means -£5.00

I can understand this to be fair. My parents did similar. I am very intelligent but I was very lazy and so I can appreciate my parents trying to incentivise me so that I didn't reduce my opportunities in later life because I was a naive, immature and lazy 16 year old. And in all fairness, creating an association between qualifications and financial gain can be fairly lifelike and possibly even wise.

I understand the notion of enrichment and personal pride and achievement and I have that same non-monetary value of education now, but I didn't at 16.
Reply 15
Original post by Anon07079191
I can understand this to be fair. My parents did similar. I am very intelligent but I was very lazy and so I can appreciate my parents trying to incentivise me so that I didn't reduce my opportunities in later life because I was a naive, immature and lazy 16 year old. And in all fairness, creating an association between qualifications and financial gain can be fairly lifelike and possibly even wise.

I understand the notion of enrichment and personal pride and achievement and I have that same non-monetary value of education now, but I didn't at 16.

I think it's quite good as well - my predicted gradse are really good - sometimes I think they're way out of proportion because they are all A* and I don't think I will struggle with the exams too much apart from maths and sciences so this encourages me to try and do well at the subjects I am not very good at. However, I do think that something like £2000 is extremely shocking LOL
Reply 16
Haha wow, its not like GCSEs mean anything anyway ;P cant actually believe this, but I remember my friend getting bought a new new phone and some PS3 games for his grades
Reply 17
A* - £200
a - £100
b - £50
c - £25

Quick Reply

Latest