The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to aim for all A*s in GCSE?

I haven't started my GCSEs yet but I aspire to get all A*s/As (preferably A*s) in GCSE. Is that a realistic goal? Would it depend on what subjects I am taking?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on:
a) If you have the capacity for academic learning, or if you struggle academically
b) how interested you are in your subjects (although some people can push past the boredom of some less interesting subjects to be high achievers anyway, whereas others will never gain high grades even if they're interested in every subject)
c) how much work you put in.

A and C are probably the main factors.
so like all 7-9?
yeah that's defo doable if you pay attention in class and do the homework and revise for topic tests and stuff. (assuming your school is at least kinda ok - otherwise you might have to do a bit more work on your own initiative)
Another thing no one has mentioned yet is your revision techniques. It’s no use just like re-writing notes and hoping it somehow stays in your brain. Implement active revision such as flashcards, active recall (try re writing your notes from memory), etc etc.

the harder it is, the more you learn and build neurological pathways in your memory.

I’ve spoken to so many people who revised hard for GCSE’s, spending hours on end revising by rewriting notes, and disappointed with their results at the end.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
(Original post by hapaxlegomena)
so like all 7-9?
yeah that's defo doable if you pay attention in class and do the homework and revise for topic tests and stuff. (assuming your school is at least kinda ok - otherwise you might have to do a bit more work on your own initiative)

Preferably all 9s, that is doable right?
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Another thing no one has mentioned yet is your revision techniques. It’s no use just like re-writing notes and hoping it somehow stays in your brain. Implement active revision such as flashcards, active recall (try re writing your notes from memory), etc etc.

the harder it is, the more you learn and build neurological pathways in your memory.

does anyone actually just copy out their notes and think that's good revision?
read, cover, condense (write out notes from memory in a condensed version) really does work tho. esp when cramming for history
Original post by strawbexe

yeah man
tbh if you just do the set work in y10 and 11 you don't even have to revise much for all 9s. just a bit of cramming
Reply 7
Original post by hapaxlegomena
yeah man
tbh if you just do the set work in y10 and 11 you don't even have to revise much for all 9s. just a bit of cramming

for "cramming", would it be more efficient to start studying in advance instead and maybe even get a head start on the topics?
for "cramming", would it be more efficient to start studying in advance instead and maybe even get a head start on the topics?

if you like, but it's probs not necessary at GCSE
Yes- if you are entirely committed to your education with a strong work ethic, tend to get good grades, revise well, are ambitious & self-motivated, focused upon your gcse studies and are interested in most of your subjects.
My best friend did get all A* in all her gcses.
Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by vhbbgvujnbgv
how many gcses will you take

Most likely 10
Most likely 10

it's realistic if you understand all the content in every lesson. After that, please do A LOT of exam-style question. Then you'll be fine and get a grade A/A* easily :smile:
I haven't started my GCSEs yet but I aspire to get all A*s/As (preferably A*s) in GCSE. Is that a realistic goal? Would it depend on what subjects I am taking?

Hey,
I just did my GCSEs so hope this helps 💜. I got all 9s at GCSE and that sounds like what you're aiming for too. First of all, great job for thinking ahead and setting goals, you'd be surprised how many people don't! I don't think the subjects you take matter, but ideally they would interest you and/or be relevant to what you want to study or do in the future. It's just work, it really is, but also try to be efficient and productive. What I'm learning is that productivity isn't how much you got done, but it's about how much of what mattered you managed to do. Sometimes that's sleep. Sometimes that's work. As others have mentioned, try to use active learning techniques like flashcards, blurting, the Feynman technique, past papers, self testing etc. Best of luck with your GCSE years, you'll have a lot of fun too Xx. Let me know if you have any questions 💜

Yes!!! :smile:
“Aim for the moon. Even if you fail, you’ll land amongst the stars”

Heya!
It really depends on the person but it's not impossible :h: I had a friend who was an extremely smart and hard-working individual and she got all A*s on her GCSEs because she really worked for them every day! However, remember not to overburn yourself with work - my friend would do around 3hrs of studying after school and a bit more over the weekends (as a reference). Don't worry if you don't get all 9s though as unis typically just want 5s and above on maths and english GCSE (there are some exceptions like Oxford who do want the highest GCSE grades!).

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by 14ahussain
“Aim for the moon. Even if you fail, you’ll land amongst the stars”

Are the stars like 6s and 7s?
Reply 17

Yes.

But if you want high grades, you have to be prepared to work for them.
Reply 18
Original post by bluebirdbubble
Hey,
I just did my GCSEs so hope this helps 💜. I got all 9s at GCSE and that sounds like what you're aiming for too. First of all, great job for thinking ahead and setting goals, you'd be surprised how many people don't! I don't think the subjects you take matter, but ideally they would interest you and/or be relevant to what you want to study or do in the future. It's just work, it really is, but also try to be efficient and productive. What I'm learning is that productivity isn't how much you got done, but it's about how much of what mattered you managed to do. Sometimes that's sleep. Sometimes that's work. As others have mentioned, try to use active learning techniques like flashcards, blurting, the Feynman technique, past papers, self testing etc. Best of luck with your GCSE years, you'll have a lot of fun too Xx. Let me know if you have any questions 💜

Thanks for the advice!
Original post by toxicgamage56
Are the stars like 6s and 7s?

+1 - I enjoyed the brutality of this, as in pricking that bubble of mindless positivity and American self-care nonsense. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest