The Student Room Group

How much do GCSE results affect uni choices

i just recieved my results today and was wondering how much they affect uni courses and options after alevels.
GCSE’s affect which A levels your school will let you take (and how likely you are to do at them)

A levels affect which uni and which course

So, GCSEs are part of the gateway to the course you want to study at ether place you want to attend (I.e. they are an important stepping stone)

Outside of that, the English gcse result is important for uni and many set a minimum grade in English to attend other courses.

Unis will also consider your gcse results to some level when deciding whether to make you a offer (expected grades for a level are someone’s guess, existing gcse results are a factual representation of past academic importance)

I don’t say any of this to worry you, more as an answer to your question. If your results were not as good as you had hoped, uni and the course you want are still very much open to you…. You may just have to course adjust on your plan of how to get there (take resits for example, take a year out after a levels to apply with actual results, go to a uni that offers a foundation course etc)

Hope that helps
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 23gaskel
i just recieved my results today and was wondering how much they affect uni courses and options after alevels.

Honestly in my opinion, depending on your course it might matter quite a bit as I hopefully want to do medicine but got a grade 5 in bio and maths an must unis require at least a 6 in both minimum 🙁.

read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390265
Reply 4
Original post by Johnny Valentine
GCSE’s affect which A levels your school will let you take (and how likely you are to do at them)

So, GCSEs are part of the gateway to the course you want to study at ether place you want to attend (I.e. they are an important stepping stone)

Outside of that, the English gcse result is important for uni and many set a minimum grade in English to attend other courses.

Unis will also consider your gcse results to some level when deciding whether to make you a offer (expected grades for a level are someone’s guess, existing gcse results are a factual representation of past academic importance)

I don’t say any of this to worry you, more as an answer to your question. If your results were not as good as you had hoped, uni and the course you want are still very much open to you…. You may just have to course adjust on your plan of how to get there (take resits for example, take a year out after a levels to apply with actual results, go to a uni that offers a foundation course etc)

Hope that helps

this was really helpful thank you 👍
Reply 5

kinda depends. if u got a low gcse grade in a course u want to do (like u got a 5 in english and want to do english at uni) then it matters. my friend applied for psychology at a uni and didn't get in cause she only got a 5 in maths so in that way it matters (bc u do maths in psychology). if u got a bad grade in a subject that doesn't really matter (like a 5 in drama for example, and u have no plans to carry on with drama at a higher level) then it doesn't matter at all. most of the top unis want a 6 in maths and english tho, but u can probably get away w a 5. if ur shooting for oxbridge u should probably have above 7s in ur gcses, tho the personal statement and interview matter more. hope that helped! :smile:
Reply 6
that was very helpful thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by Johnny Valentine

Hope that helps

My GCSE's were pretty average mainly because I had 30-40% throughout Y10/11 for certain reasons. I want to go to a good University and I know I'm going to do well during my A levels but I feel like its pointless because of my GCSE's.

If I were to retake my GCSE's after my A Levels would it look bad? Surely it would effect the Uni's decision.

Quick Reply

Latest