The Student Room Group

Ramadan and GCSE support thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-farhan
If you don't mind me asking how old are you?!
16? 15?

The reason I ask is because an act of worship does not become compulsory or wajib till one is reached the age of accountability which most scholars say is around 16 or 15 with some even saying 18.
When someone is under that age fasting is not compulsory but it is encouraged that they fast.
Add to that if the person has health issues while fasting then again they do not have to continue their fast as their health is more important.
Now when it comes to exams and fasting if the heat of the summer combined with the stress of exams and worries and adversely affect you then that could be a legitimate reason to break fast.
Again fasting does not really affect your performance in exams, if you have revised and fully prepared your fast would not put you at a disadvantage, compared with someone who is not fasting.
Good luck inshaAllah.
Yeah now anything with Islam causes debate, I am now accustomed to expect it.
You should see how it goes, if you do begin to feel as though you are faint or close to vomiting then I would suggest you break your fast as it is permissible then.
Do remember to eat your suhoor and eat healthy at iftaar.

Not concerning fasts, but your health as a whole considering you believe yourself to become weak easily, have you consulted your GP? Also are you aware of any triggers for your migraines?
Inshallah, may you recover and become stronger in all matters of deen and dunya, for the exams to come in this work and the test that is our life. May you, your family and the Ummah succeed :smile:
Reply 62
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Tinka99
I completely understand the importance of this festival to you but education and grades are more important in my opinion. With exams such as GCSE's you only get one shot at it and that's it so giving you best is very important. Fasting at the risk of potentially not performing as well in GCSE's (spent 2 years studying for), thus not being able to get into college/sixth form/apprenticeship/traineeship you want to.

I believe in God and myself I am a religious person although not a Muslim but would not risk my entire future just for a fast. You have got to know your priorities in life and think practically not emotionally. In the real world, you need money to survive and getting good grades is the key to that.

I think eating right during the exam season is the key to success and by starving yourself, eating once a day and surviving on water will just make it harder to concentrate on revision. I literally cannot concentrate on revision on a hungry stomach.

That is your opinion, but the reality is in Islam fasting is more important.

You can still get decent GCSEs at the same time. Nowadays GCSEs aren't even of major importance. I'm not saying you shouldn't do well in them, but even if you don't do amazing it's not the end of the world. Opportunities will come and go.

Again you're not risking your entire future.
Will you convince OP to miss fasting if she A levels exams too? And uni exams? What about if one day she has a job interview? Where will it stop, see what I mean?
You say you are religious so you should know your priority in life is to your God.

You are not starving yourself if you fill yourself with food in the morning and by sunset you are having another big meal.

If you're on medications and it's compulsory for you to take during the day, then you don't need to fast.

Tbh there isn't much to debate here. I would understand if there were different scholarly opinions on this matter, but the fact of the matter is there's an agreement that you are not allowed to miss your fasts during exam period. It's as simple as that.

Ok I think it's great you will try it.
Just make sure you eat and drink properly and Allah will help you get through it Insha Allah :smile:

You're welcome x

If it seriously affects your health, and serious as in you need medication for your condition, then you don't need to fast.

May Allah give you shifa :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
The reason I ask is because an act of worship does not become compulsory or wajib till one is reached the age of accountability which most scholars say is around 16 or 15 with some even saying 18.
When someone is under that age fasting is not compulsory but it is encouraged that they fast.
Add to that if the person has health issues while fasting then again they do not have to continue their fast as their health is more important.
Now when it comes to exams and fasting if the heat of the summer combined with the stress of exams and worries and adversely affect you then that could be a legitimate reason to break fast.
Again fasting does not really affect your performance in exams, if you have revised and fully prepared your fast would not put you at a disadvantage, compared with someone who is not fasting.
Good luck inshaAllah.

The age of being responsible for ones feed a are when they enter puberty, for girls the most clear sign is their period.
Signs of puberty should happen between the ages of 9-15 (islamically) If a female has not reached puberty by 15, they are accountable from when they become 15.
This is the same for males.
I'm not sure as to where you found 18 from though, as I have never heard that before
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ai-Kurrikku
The age of being responsible for ones feed a are when they enter puberty, for girls the most clear sign is their period.
Signs of puberty should happen between the ages of 9-15 (islamically) If a female has not reached puberty by 15, they are accountable from when they become 15.
This is the same for males.
I'm not sure as to where you found 18 from though, as I have never heard that before (and I study at an Islamic school under alimahs)

It is the madhab of Abu hanifah if no other signs happen before that age.
Reply 66
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 67
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
(edited 7 years ago)
It is the madhab of Abu hanifah if no other signs happen before that age.

I follow the Hanafi Madhab and I have been taught the rulings of it so I'm afraid that is wrong, as the age I have learnt common for all madhabs have been 15?
However I will ask my teachers to see if there was any mention of 18, though I have learnt the ruling is most commonly if not definitely at the age of 15.
I fast every year so I'm fully aware of fasting 😂

Oh okay then that is your personal decision. It's between you and Allah. I personally don't know how bad your headaches are so yeah okay, your situation/business.

Quick Reply

Latest