The Student Room Group

CIE chemistry A level paper 4 variant 2

Scroll to see replies

1. What was the interaction between NO3- and H2O?
2. What happens to the hydrated salt when heated gently, then more strongly?
3. What happens to the enthalpy change when HCl is changed to HNO3 and why?
4. Why does entropy increase in equilibrium II?
5. What concentration of the CH3NH2 was needed to drop the concentration of Cd2+ to a factor of a thousand?
6. Did anyone say CH3CH2COOH is more acidic than CH3COOH (or less acidic, I forgot) or did people just say they had the same acidity?
7. Equations for an alkaline buffer?

What did you answer for these?
Anyone got any other hard questions?
I wrote in hydrogen bond for 1, not sure about this..

6. CH3CH2COOH is less acidic than CH3COOH, cause alkyl group is electron-donating, causing extra negative charge on COO- end.

The rest i found them HARD. My answer probably would not earn me any point.

What is your answer for the Hess' Law? I got -534kJ/mol..
Here's what I answered:
1. Hydrogen bonding
2. Water vapour given off, then brown NO2 gas is given off
3. Forgot what I answered
4. No idea
5. I got 0.0115 (probably wrong)
6. CH3COOH more acidic due to less number of alkyl groups
7. CH3NH2 + HCl ---> CH3NH3Cl
CH3NH3Cl + NaOH --> Ch3NH2 + NaCl + H2O
Original post by blablablaying
I wrote in hydrogen bond for 1, not sure about this..

6. CH3CH2COOH is less acidic than CH3COOH, cause alkyl group is electron-donating, causing extra negative charge on COO- end.

The rest i found them HARD. My answer probably would not earn me any point.

What is your answer for the Hess' Law? I got -534kJ/mol..

My friend got -534 aswell, seems correct.
I'm taking AS and A2 chemistry in october, self-teaching and have just finished the AS topics. You guys are freaking the s*** out of me.
Original post by TerraformingYou
5. What concentration of the CH3NH2 was needed to drop the concentration of Cd2+ to a factor of a thousand?
6. Did anyone say CH3CH2COOH is more acidic than CH3COOH (or less acidic, I forgot) or did people just say they had the same acidity?

Here's what I did :O

1. Hydrogen bonding
2. It releases the water ligand h20 so moisture is released. Then releases NO2 gas and O2, from the Mg(No3)2 remaining. Brown gas seen. and also test with the glowing splinter.
3. What de **** was that LOL. I think it has something to do w lattice energy.
4. The number of molecules of (aq) decreases in both eqI and eqII, but it decreases less in eqII. So entropy decreases less in eq II
5. K stab= [A]/ [C]^4 Divide [A] by 1000. so, is also divided by a 1000 since their stoichiometry is 1.1. [C]^4 is left as unknown and gained by using Kstab eq with Kstab value.
6. I said it was the same...I dont know why lol..something to do with both having no Cl atoms but almost same C chain length?
7. R-NH2 + H+ --> R-NH3+
R-NH3+ OH- ---> R-NH2 + H20
(edited 7 years ago)
1. Hydrogen bonding
2. It releases the water ligand h20 so moisture is released. Then releases NO2 gas and O2, from the Mg(No3)2 remaining. Brown gas seen. and also test with the glowing splinter.
4. The number of molecules of (aq) decreases in both eqI and eqII, but it decreases less in eqII. So entropy decreases less in eq II
5. K stab= [A]/ [C]^4 Divide [A] by 1000. so, is also divided by a 1000 since their stoichiometry is 1.1. [C]^4 is left as unknown and gained by using Kstab eq with Kstab value.
6. I said it was the same...I dont know why lol..something to do with both having no Cl atoms but almost same C chain length?
7. R-NH2 + H+ --> R-NH3+
Original post by glitterlitter
hello did anyone sit CIE chemistry paper 42 today?! how'd you guys find it, with the new format and all?

fingers crossed grade boundaries are low..

Oh my god this paper was really emotional. My entire class was looking for this thread since yesterday hahahah. It was pretty challenging, though still fairly manageable. If thresholds are average I might get an A overall but if they dip a lot like everyone hopes I should get an A*. Fingers crossed. There was a lot of Kstab, damn... and the synthesis wasn't as tough as usual... or was it just me??
Original post by ayyyLmaooo
Here's what I did :O

1. Hydrogen bonding
7. R-NH2 + H+ --> R-NH3+

6. The acidity changes due to distance of Cl from the COOH group. When it is closer (as in CH3CH2CH2ClCOOH (was that it??) it can better delocalise the lone pair on O, thus stabilising the conjugate base. However compared to CH3CH2ClCH2COOH the Cl is further away thus it delocalises lone pair less and thus CH3CH2CH2ClCOOH is more acidic.
Original post by jboentoro
6. The acidity changes due to distance of Cl from the COOH group. When it is closer (as in CH3CH2CH2ClCOOH (was that it??) it can better delocalise the lone pair on O, thus stabilising the conjugate base. However compared to CH3CH2ClCH2COOH the Cl is further away thus it delocalises lone pair less and thus CH3CH2CH2ClCOOH is more acidic.

What is the unit of Kp in that question? I wrote atm^2

My answer for 3 was that the N-H bond energy (410kjmol-1) > H-Cl bond energy (380 or something?), so more energy was required to separate H from N, so the reaction with HNO3 would be more endothermic. not entirely sure though, it was what i could come up with on the spot.
Original post by mingomango
My answer for 3 was that the N-H bond energy (410kjmol-1) > H-Cl bond energy (380 or something?), so more energy was required to separate H from N, so the reaction with HNO3 would be more endothermic. not entirely sure though, it was what i could come up with on the spot.

Yep same
Original post by andysalad
Yep same

do you want to battle me mate
Original post by Wallflower73
where were the organic synthesis quesions?
or reaction kinetics?
why did they bring Kp??? I almost cried in there haha

Kp?? do you mean Kstab?
Original post by mingomango
do you want to battle me mate

ladies lets not fight

This is what i put...

1. Hydrogen bonds
2. Water vapour comes off then brown gas
3. I said more exothermic.. but not sure was a guess tbh
4. I said cos gibbs energy was more negative... but also was a guess
5. I got 2.3 x 10-2... which i am also sure is wrong
6. nope ethanoic is more acidic
7. CH3NH2 + H+ --> CH3NH3+
CH3NH3+ + OH- ---> CH3NH2 + H2O
What about the fkin isomerism in the complex ions, were they cis-trans isomers?
Original post by jboentoro

but for the 1st 2 compounds, they both did not contain Cl atoms, i think one was ethanoic acid and the other propanoic
Original post by ayyyLmaooo
but for the 1st 2 compounds, they both did not contain Cl atoms, i think one was ethanoic acid and the other propanoic

One of the three had no chlorine; the other two were 2) CH3CHCl-R-CO2H and 3) CH3-R-CHClCO2H. Exact position of chlorine was probably different to what I said but essentially the smaller distance of the chlorine from the oxygen weakened the strength of the O-H bond making the 3rd one more acidic.
nah nah the one where you had to write an expression, units and later find the partial pressure for the two compounds

Original post by jessedoell
Kp?? do you mean Kstab?

Quick Reply

Latest