The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine- A Levels or not?

Hi, Firstly can I just say i realise this is very late to asking but am having serious doubts...
Just to give a bit of background I completed a History BA(Hons) last year and intend to apply to Newcastle/Notts/Warwick/Swansea/SGUL/Soton (not sure of final 4) this year for GEM. I didn't do science A levels and so decided to do Chemistry AS this year vis distance learning.
However, due to various reasons, I now find myself in a position where I'm fairly sure I'm not going to achieve an A and possibly not even a B in this Chem AS. Should I a)cancel taking the exam and hence don't have to mention it on my UCAS form, or b) take the exam and say end up (worst case) with a C in AS Chemistry and have to put it on UCAS. I'm concerned this is going to look REALLY bad that I've recently taken a science exam and done badly. Where as if I don't do the chem i won't be able to apply to soton and that's fine, but also the unis will just be able to see my GCSEs which I got and A in Chem.
I know overall, the above unis don't look at your A levels (bar soton) but Im worried that they still might hold a recent bad result against me. Does anyone have any advice please??!!
Reply 1
I dont have any alevels and managed to get 4 interviews, if you dont think youll do well it may be better to stop now, if the issues were resolved I might suggest you work your butt off but as i dont know your situation its difficult to advise.

You only need to meet your entrance requirements and ace the entrance exam to get your interviews, no point making additional stress for yourself. Once you get to interview its all irrelevant.

Best of luck to you.
Southampton only ask for a C in Chemistry for their graduate entry program so as long as you meet this cut off then they shouldn't look at it any further. However, don't they ask for A Level Biology if you only have Chemistry AS? Or were you planning on sitting the A2 next year? (sorry if they've changed this requirement, I only know about 2016 entry). You have more than four choices so if you hadn't already started the course then I would probably recommend just not applying to Southampton but since you've already spent the time and money then personally I would take the test and hope for the best, that's what I'm doing this year. Doing Chemistry by distance learning is difficult, I've found it really hard this year, but you've still got time to try and get a decent grade. However, if there is something else going on that means this will be particularly difficult stressful or you think you'll struggle to get a C then it's perfectly fine to drop it, you know your situation better than we do. If you would like any specific help with AS level Chemistry or the whole distance learning mess then let me know, I will be happy to attempt haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by -inspired-
Southampton only ask for a C in Chemistry for their graduate entry program so as long as you meet this cut off then they shouldn't look at it any further. However, don't they ask for A Level Biology if you only have Chemistry AS? Or were you planning on sitting the A2 next year? (sorry if they've changed this requirement, I only know about 2016 entry). You have more than four choices so if you hadn't already started the course then I would probably recommend just not applying to Southampton but since you've already spent the time and money then personally I would take the test and hope for the best, that's what I'm doing this year. Doing Chemistry by distance learning is difficult, I've found it really hard this year, but you've still got time to try and get a decent grade. However, if there is something else going on that means this will be particularly difficult stressful or you think you'll struggle to get a C then it's perfectly fine to drop it, you know your situation better than we do. If you would like any specific help with AS level Chemistry or the whole distance learning mess then let me know, I will be happy to attempt haha.

I won't be applying to Soton unless I take the A2 next year. On this basis, I don't need the AS Chem for the other choices, but if I do take it, do you think it looks bad having a poor result recently, rather than 4 years ago when I originally did my A levels, that's what concerns me. Cos clearly I'm doing the AS for the benefit of GEM and I wont do well and that doesn't look good...
Original post by abcd13
I won't be applying to Soton unless I take the A2 next year. On this basis, I don't need the AS Chem for the other choices, but if I do take it, do you think it looks bad having a poor result recently, rather than 4 years ago when I originally did my A levels, that's what concerns me. Cos clearly I'm doing the AS for the benefit of GEM and I wont do well and that doesn't look good...

Most universities don't look at A levels at all for GEM and Southampton only want a C so won't look any further than that. As long as you apply to the universities that don't emphasise A levels then I don't think it will look bad.
Original post by HanaGEM
I dont have any alevels and managed to get 4 interviews, if you dont think youll do well it may be better to stop now, if the issues were resolved I might suggest you work your butt off but as i dont know your situation its difficult to advise.

You only need to meet your entrance requirements and ace the entrance exam to get your interviews, no point making additional stress for yourself. Once you get to interview its all irrelevant.

Best of luck to you.

Who did you apply for? I'm struggling to find a uni which isn't interested in A-levels!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending