The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redcoats
Sorry to interrupt, but you are all incredibly lucky to be allowed to do M3. I would have loved to do it but my school, rather haphazardly, does not offer it!

Not to make it seem like we're ganging up on you or something, but I had to self-teach everything from C1-4, FP1-3, M1-3 and S1-3 other than C1, C2, M1 and S2 because my school can't teach further maths - they do teach C3 and C4 but I skipped all those classes. :rofl:

I think you'd be surprised with the number of candidates who self-teach M3!
Original post by ombtom
That was the most :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: M3 COM question ever.

Was genuinely contemplating whether to just sacrifice the marks and ensure all other answers were correct :biggrin:
Thoughts on 14R? Did it as a proper mock today printed and wrote on it and everthing. Thought it was good but my god was the questions tedious. Both circular motions were a pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those who have done all the IAL's which is hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Thoughts on 14R? Did it as a proper mock today printed and wrote on it and everthing. Thought it was good but my god was the questions tedious. Both circular motions were a pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was probably one of my favourite M3 papers - I did it as a proper mock and got 74 (full was at 72 UMS iirc). It was tedious, yeah, but it had some really nice questions.

Those who have done all the IAL's which is hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 14 was probably the hardest but I liked it tbh. Jan 15 and Jan 16 have some good moments questions. June 15 was relatively easy while June 14 was alright.
Original post by Ayman!
It was probably one of my favourite M3 papers - I did it as a proper mock and got 74 (full was at 72 UMS iirc). It was tedious, yeah, but it had some really nice questions.

Jan 14 was probably the hardest but I liked it tbh. Jan 15 and Jan 16 have some good moments questions. June 15 was relatively easy while June 14 was alright.

Yeh I will do Jan 14 as a mock today then! Then do the other IALs over the next few days before he examination.
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have Jan 16 Ial as I can't find it online
Did Jan 14 IAL missed out a factor of 1/2 costing me a mark in Q4b and lost 3 marks in Q3 for missing another factor of 1/2 in a KE term. Other then that got everything else seemingly correct, although in Q5 b i did moments about the axis through O including Reaction, Mass of cylinder and P and Fr and got the same answer. I get all the marks right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should you always resolve forces in the vertical and horizontal directions?
Can someone explain to me Question 3b in M3 Solomon A?
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Should you always resolve forces in the vertical and horizontal directions?

Well yeh, always do it perpendicular to direction of movement in a conical shell circular motion types. You can resolve in any plane aslong as you have the correct planar acceleration of the body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeh, always do it perpendicular to direction of movement in a conical shell circular motion types. You can resolve in any plane aslong as you have the correct planar acceleration of the body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, how do you prove the COM of a conical/semipherical/any solid really shell?
Original post by JustDynamite
Can someone explain to me Question 3b in M3 Solomon A?

Are you familiar with the equations of SHM?
Are you familiar with the equations of SHM?

Yep. I'm not sure why I'm getting this wrong tho
Original post by JustDynamite
Yep. I'm not sure why I'm getting this wrong tho

When calculating the time in SHM between two points, remember to use x=Acos(wt) if the particle starts at the amplitude position and vice versa, use x = Asin(wt) if it starts at the equilibrium position. And always make sure x is the displacement from the origin (I sometimes make the mistake in thinking that it's the displacement from where the particle starts the SHM (which is usually the amplitude) but it's always from the origin!!).
Ah okay, how do you prove the COM of a conical/semipherical/any solid really shell?

Shells yeh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh
June 12 4b what a horrible q such retarded angles
yeh

I can't think of one using normal principles. It uses FP3 the ideas I am thinking of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending