The Student Room Group

English

Everyone says and is told to memorise quotes for the big English lit essays as it is a requirement, however, my teacher was showing us the mark scheme and it technically doesn't specify anywhere on using quotes and just says something along the lines of refer to parts of the book to show understanding. My teacher said this could be just describing like a key moment in the book and so could not using quotes be fine?
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Everyone says and is told to memorise quotes for the big English lit essays as it is a requirement, however, my teacher was showing us the mark scheme and it technically doesn't specify anywhere on using quotes and just says something along the lines of refer to parts of the book to show understanding. My teacher said this could be just describing like a key moment in the book and so could not using quotes be fine?

While it might not be in the mark scheme, using exact quotes shows a more impressive and developed understanding of the texts, rather than just a basic understanding of the plot. I'd use quotes but not worry if you can't remember one, as long as you can talk in detail about something specific like symbolism :smile: what exam board is this for?
Like any subject- you might not have to do it, but if you are able to, then do it.

It's as simple as that. The deeper your analysis is- single word analysis, quotes, contextual thoughts- the more marks you're going to get.
Original post by Gingerbread101
While it might not be in the mark scheme, using exact quotes shows a more impressive and developed understanding of the texts, rather than just a basic understanding of the plot. I'd use quotes but not worry if you can't remember one, as long as you can talk in detail about something specific like symbolism :smile: what exam board is this for?

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping for an A* so I will definitely include quotes then. I am doing WJEC :smile:
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Thanks, yeah I'm hoping for an A* so I will definitely include quotes then. I am doing WJEC :smile:

If you ask your teacher to print off the exemplar answers on the exam board website, you can see if they used quotes too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest