The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JordonWilkinson
I have made notes on all chp's for BUSS3, probably too late to do that now, but then just getting pass papers and doing 2 a week, 1 open book and then one closed book. With the closed book, time yourself and stick to the timings. If you dont finish - thats fine! Change color when the time is up, and with practice you will get better and better.

Closer to the exam I will go through my notes and make quick flash cards for gentle reminders of the content.

Hmm that sounds good, thanks a lot
This revision webinar video on how to make the most of the BUSS3 appendices might be useful

BUSS3 Making the Most of the Appendices

Jim
Reply 42
Original post by Jim Riley
This revision webinar video on how to make the most of the BUSS3 appendices might be useful

BUSS3 Making the Most of the Appendices

Jim

For BUSS2 will it be ok if I structure my paragraphs like this:

Knowledge
Analysis
Application
Reply 43
Original post by imran_
For BUSS2 will it be ok if I structure my paragraphs like this:

Knowledge
Analysis
Application

Yeah that is the structure we used last year
Reply 44
(Background, I have not sat any exams for 25 years and I'm studying at home)

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but....
Are you permitted to take any thing into the exam other than pens and a calculator?
The reason that I ask is related to the research aspect of BUSS4 section B, are you really expected to both remember and regurgitate an accurate, topical and relevant example for Missions,aims, objectives, Economic Environment, Legislation, Ethics, CSR, Technology/Change, Competitive Environment, the ENVIROment, Mergers, Retrenchment, Culture, Change management, Leadership, Planning, Contingency and Globalisation? (I'm aware of the possible emphasis on Eu and retrenchment)

And then take that example and somehow ram it into your essay to 'show off' ?For me it's no problem, I just want to know before I start digging through the FT and the Economist and robbing snippets of info to drill into my memory... (I honestly think that this is just a few hours work to make links between stories and the themes above)
I can envision a situation where students (myself included) manage to remember a dozen or so 'minifacts' and then desperately try and chuck them into essays !

Thanks,
Reply 45
Original post by gkgs
Yeah that is the structure we used last year

for the analysis part does it ALWAYS have to refer back to the business or can it be in general too assuming my point is related to the case study
Reply 46
Original post by Stevejc

Are you permitted to take any thing into the exam other than pens and a calculator?
The reason that I ask is related to the research aspect of BUSS4 section B, are you really expected to both remember and regurgitate an accurate, topical and relevant example for Missions,aims, objectives, Economic Environment, Legislation, Ethics, CSR, Technology/Change, Competitive Environment, the ENVIROment, Mergers, Retrenchment, Culture, Change management, Leadership, Planning, Contingency and Globalisation? (I'm aware of the possible emphasis on Eu and retrenchment)

And then take that example and somehow ram it into your essay to 'show off' ?For me it's no problem, I just want to know before I start digging through the FT and the Economist and robbing snippets of info to drill into my memory... (I honestly think that this is just a few hours work to make links between stories and the themes above)
I can envision a situation where students (myself included) manage to remember a dozen or so 'minifacts' and then desperately try and chuck them into essays !

Thanks,

Yeah thats all you get to take in, no examples or anything on paper, you just have to try and remember them all. Thats why its better to get an example that you can apply to alot of things, for example Apple can be applied to almost all the topics.
Original post by Jim Riley
There are some useful resources for everyone preparing for BUSS4 E-Commerce here:

http://www.tutor2u.net/business/series/buss4-section-a-2016-e-commerce

Also the tutor2u Twelve for BUSS4 in 2016 is a decent list of case study firms that can be used effectively for both Section A and Section B:

http://www.tutor2u.net/business/blog/tutor2u-twelve-for-2016

If you need any extra help, just post here and I'll try to assist

Jim

Any Ideas what form an EU question might take given the fact that the EU referendum is about leaving the EU and not EU enlargement?
Thanks,
WIll
Reply 48
I highly doubt that we will get a question that is fully about the EU
Original post by gkgs
I highly doubt that we will get a question that is fully about the EU

True but given its on the syllabus and has never come up I think its a topic that could come up, but EU enlargement would be irrelevant given the upcoming referendum so I'm curious if they will turn the question on its head or not if they choose to ask it?
Reply 50
Original post by Willsingleton
True but given its on the syllabus and has never come up I think its a topic that could come up, but EU enlargement would be irrelevant given the upcoming referendum so I'm curious if they will turn the question on its head or not if they choose to ask it?

Either way you can use the same points
Reply 51
Does anyone want to exchange research notes? I've done all the bullet points up to 6 but need a bit more help on BP1.
Original post by Stevejc

Thanks,

Seems a lot i know, but yes your only allowed pens and a calculator. Have to learn the rest!
Does anyone have any examples for business strategic responses in relation to interest rates, exchanges rates, inflation and employment? Thanks!
Reply 54
Original post by De Re Publica
Does anyone have any examples for business strategic responses in relation to interest rates, exchanges rates, inflation and employment? Thanks!

If you go on the tutor2u website, and search for BUSS4 resources, there are revision presentations with all the topics and they have responses
I have used the tutor2u presentations to find examples for the other topics, such as business ethics, but in the presentations on economic factors, there doesn't appear to be that many, if any, examples
I got 100% in both last year. BUSS3 follows a pattern. Last years paper was very similar to one of the 2010 exams. As for BUSS4 wont go crazy on the research have 2-3 exams per topic for mixed situations for example 1 against brand consolidation and 1-2 for the argument. Its literally just seasoning don't try cram all these references into your answers you just need to follow a structure and you will be fine. I purchased some model answers for BUSS4 from tutor2u. I then summarised them into mind maps and memorised them (Its how I learn) I did this so I knew my structure for any question that came up but if i was short on points I could use one of their points. You don't need lots of points a introduction either 2 for 1 against or 2 for and 2 against. Do not forget about your evaluation you need to evaluate the weight of each factor for and against then come to a final conclusion something Like "Although I believe point 1 and paint 2 are important in topic I believe point 3 is the most important factor because...

Good luck
Original post by Aidan.reed
I got 100% in both last year. BUSS3 follows a pattern. Last years paper was very similar to one of the 2010 exams. As for BUSS4 wont go crazy on the research have 2-3 exams per topic for mixed situations for example 1 against brand consolidation and 1-2 for the argument. Its literally just seasoning don't try cram all these references into your answers you just need to follow a structure and you will be fine. I purchased some model answers for BUSS4 from tutor2u. I then summarised them into mind maps and memorised them (Its how I learn) I did this so I knew my structure for any question that came up but if i was short on points I could use one of their points. You don't need lots of points a introduction either 2 for 1 against or 2 for and 2 against. Do not forget about your evaluation you need to evaluate the weight of each factor for and against then come to a final conclusion something Like "Although I believe point 1 and paint 2 are important in topic I believe point 3 is the most important factor because...

Good luck

How did you split up your timing for BUSS3?
Original post by De Re Publica
How did you split up your timing for BUSS3?

Hi so I used my watch in my exam

I'd look at the first question then spend 5-6 mins going through the text highlighting any key areas. And creating a bullet point list of what i will include. Then I would spend 10 Minutes answering question 1.

I would move onto question 2 spending again around 5 minutes picking out key components from the text for my question. You really need to use the text it really is your friend here! Once I have my structure I would spend 15 minutes writing my answer. You may think what! But yes it is all about quality and planning not quantity.

Question 3 last year was Critical path analysis so It literally took me 5 minutes to do!

Finally you want around 40 minutes on the final question never do the last question first. Because the last question builds on everything else you've already done you don't need to make up new points. You reuse and expand the final question is like an evaluation give 2 for 2 against and use the knowledge and application to get your marks rather than lots and lots of next. What I tend to do to give my points some volume is.. This will lead to effect because of... as a result this will impact the business negatively/positively and link it back to the business objectives.

I finished around 20mins early on mine because the 3rd question was CPA and I can do them very very quickly although I got 100% finishing early doesn't always mean good. Plan your answers and take your time.
Reply 59
Original post by Aidan.reed
Hi so I used my watch in my exam

I'd look at the first question then spend 5-6 mins going through the text highlighting any key areas. And creating a bullet point list of what i will include. Then I would spend 10 Minutes answering question 1.

I would move onto question 2 spending again around 5 minutes picking out key components from the text for my question. You really need to use the text it really is your friend here! Once I have my structure I would spend 15 minutes writing my answer. You may think what! But yes it is all about quality and planning not quantity.

Question 3 last year was Critical path analysis so It literally took me 5 minutes to do!

Finally you want around 40 minutes on the final question never do the last question first. Because the last question builds on everything else you've already done you don't need to make up new points. You reuse and expand the final question is like an evaluation give 2 for 2 against and use the knowledge and application to get your marks rather than lots and lots of next. What I tend to do to give my points some volume is.. This will lead to effect because of... as a result this will impact the business negatively/positively and link it back to the business objectives.

I finished around 20mins early on mine because the 3rd question was CPA and I can do them very very quickly although I got 100% finishing early doesn't always mean good. Plan your answers and take your time.

did we have to have examples on all parts of buss4?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending