The Student Room Group

Confused on how to do this (Integration C4)

Alright so I'm confused on how to integrate this with recognition / applying chain rule in reverse.

I know it can be solved with other methods eg: IBS, but would like to know how to do it, the other way.
Reply 1
Consider the derivative of sin(x2) \sin(x^2) .
Reply 2
Original post by SaadKaleem

Alright so I'm confused on how to integrate this with recognition / applying chain rule in reverse.

I know it can be solved with other methods eg: IBS, but would like to know how to do it, the other way.

The important thing to note here is that integration by substitution is exactly the same thing as recognition/applying the chain rule in reverse, just a slightly different way of looking at it.

So here, you can see you have an integrand of the form ddx(x2)cos(x2)dx\frac{d}{dx}(x^2) \cos (x^2) \, \mathrm{d}x. So you can immediately see that it'll integrate to something like sin(x2)\sin(x^2) (up to a constant factor blah blah).

So what you do is ddx(sin(x2))=2xcos(x2)\frac{d}{dx}(\sin (x^2)) = 2x \cos (x^2)

Your integrand is 13xcos(x2)\frac{1}{3}x\cos (x^2) so you want to turn the 2 into a 1/3.

The way to do this is: 13×2ddx(sin(x2))=13xcos(x2)\frac{1}{3 \times 2}\frac{d}{dx}(\sin(x^2)) = \frac{1}{3}x\cos (x^2)

So integrating 13xcos(x2)\frac{1}{3}x\cos (x^2) gives you 16sin(x2)\frac{1}{6}\sin(x^2) by recognition.

With enough practice, you'll be able to skip the step of writing down ddx(sin(x2))=2xcos(x2)\frac{d}{dx}(sin (x^2)) = 2x\cos (x^2) and be able to jump straight to the answer, I will stress that this comes with practice, so for now - stick with writing the derivative.

Alright so I usually have a hard time explaining integration by recognition but here goes.

First of all, take some sort of a "guess". Smart guess of course.

With this integral I would say y=sin(x2)y=sin(x^{2})
As the integral of cosx is sinx
This line is basically saying my guess is that this will integrate to sin(x2)sin(x^{2})

Now, once you've made this guess, you differentiate it to see if you get what you're trying to integrate.

y=sin(x2)y=sin(x^{2})
dydx=2xcos(x2)\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2xcos(x^{2})

You can see this is very close to the main integral, but its 6 times too big.

So from that you will know that the main question integrates to 16sin(x2)\dfrac{1}{6}sin(x^{2})

I hate explaining integration by recognition, I find it hard to explain :laugh:
Though Zacken has beat me to it anyway :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710

Original post by Zacken
-----

Original post by edothero
-----

Wow thank you all for the fast responses, yeah that was a bit dumb moment for me, Should've considered sin(x^2)... lol :frown:

Anyways, I've understood it. :smile:
Reply 5
Wow thank you all for the fast responses, yeah that was a bit dumb moment for me, Should've considered sin(x^2)... lol :frown:

Anyways, I've understood it. :smile:

Hmm... 2xcos(x2)162xcos(x2)2x\cos(x^2) \neq \frac{1}{6} \cdot 2x \cos(x^2). :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Hmm... 2xcos(x2)162xcos(x2)2x\cos(x^2) \neq \frac{1}{6} \cdot 2x \cos(x^2). :tongue:

Damn, I've been making that mistake, I guess.

But can't it be used as a check that multiplying by 1/6 would equal the dy/dx value to the original integrand? So, we'd now also need to multiply by 1/6 to the value we've considered?
Reply 7
Damn, I've been making that mistake, I guess.

But can't it be used as a check that multiplying by 1/6 would equal the dy/dx value to the original integrand? So, we'd now also need to multiply by 1/6 to the value we've considered?

I'm just saying that your notation is off.

Don't write dydx=2xcos(x2)=162xcos(x2)\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x\cos (x^2) = \frac{1}{6}\cdot 2x \cos(x^2).

Write: dydx=2xcos(x2)\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x\cos(x^2) so 16dydx=162xcos(x2)=13xcos(x2)\frac{1}{6} \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{6}\cdot 2x \cos(x^2) = \frac{1}{3}x\cos(x^2).

Remember, equal signs mean that's what's on the left is exactly what's on the right.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
I'm just saying that your notation is off.

Don't write dydx=2xcos(x2)=162xcos(x2)\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x\cos (x^2) = \frac{1}{6}\cdot 2x \cos(x^2).

Write: dydx=2xcos(x2)\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x\cos(x^2) so 16dydx=162xcos(x2)=13xcos(x2)\frac{1}{6} \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{6}\cdot 2x \cos(x^2) = \frac{1}{3}x\cos(x^2).

Remember, equal signs mean that's what's on the left is exactly what's on the right.

Ah, I see. Will definitely be careful on that.

Thank you as always Zacken! :smile:
Reply 9
Ah, I see. Will definitely be careful on that.

Thank you as always Zacken! :smile:

No problem. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
No problem. :smile:

Hi, I was wondering if you can also do this with integration by parts? I tried to do it but I got no where
Reply 11
Original post by SirRaza97
Hi, I was wondering if you can also do this with integration by parts? I tried to do it but I got no where

Nopes, not possible.
Original post by Zacken
Nopes, not possible.

Why not? Is it not 2 functions?
Reply 13
Why not? Is it not 2 functions?

So? It's not just because it's two functions that it means that it's integrable by parts.
Original post by Zacken
So? It's not just because it's two functions that it means that it's integrable by parts.

Then what am I missing? Because in a C4 exam I would've thought "Oh that's integration by parts". I am obviously not understanding something.
Reply 15
Then what am I missing? Because in a C4 exam I would've thought "Oh that's integration by parts". I am obviously not understanding something.

The fact that the Fresnel integrals aren't really available to A-Level students... In a C4 exam, you'd be given the sub of u=x2u=x^2 or meant to do it by recognition as above.
Original post by Zacken
The fact that the Fresnel integrals aren't really available to A-Level students... In a C4 exam, you'd be given the sub of u=x2u=x^2 or meant to do it by recognition as above.

Okay... your explanations are very bland. But thanks anyways.
Reply 17
Okay... your explanations are very bland. But thanks anyways.

No problem.

Quick Reply

Latest