The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rm761
What do people think the 90 ums boundary will be??
also is there anyone whos done fp2 and fp3, how do they compare to m3 (made stupid mistakes in m3 so hoping to get 270+ with m2/fp2 and fp3)

70-71. FP2 is easier than M3 and FP3. FP3 imo is the hardest but luckily I don't have to do it this year :biggrin:
Original post by Student403
nope

v = 12/(x+3)

m = 0.5

work out F at x = 3

F = ma = mv(dv/dx)

v = 12(x+3)^-1
dv/dx = -12(x+3)^-2

so at x = 3, dx/dx = -12(6)^-2 = 1/3

v = 12(3+3) = 2

m = 1/2

mvdv/dx = 2 * 1/2 * 1/3 = 1/3N

Precisely.
Pretty happy with that, don't think I dropped any marks

First thoughts were that the grade boundaries will be disgustingly high but after talking to some friends, think they could be similar to last years paper (although personally I thought last years paper was much worse)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oShahpo
Do you remember what the second bit of the question was? Was there even a second bit?
Do you remember how many marks this bit was for? I might have not done it correctly, can't exactly remember though.

I think the second bit was to do with integrating velocity to find a value for T at a particular value of X. So it didn't have anything to do with the first part so I don't think any errors in the first part would affect it.. if I remember correctly?
Original post by nthyy
yea me too and i couldn't find a thread for M3 IAL :frown:

i remember there's a question about showing that OB<l ? sigh idk how to prove that but i think the answer for part b) is 15l/16?

oh and there's a question about SHM (the water level and ladder one)
i'm so confused about the last part of the question (i think i've calculated 11 hours? idk) i think i've ****ked up my paper :frown:

Original post by hank_the_tank
Yup its 15l/16. For part A showing OB<l, i showed that the work done against friction when it moves 1/4l is less than the EPE stored inside the string initially. (i.e. 0.1mgl<0.125mgl), so that the particle P is still moving, but idk if this is the most appropriate method.

The ladder one is so confusing(i mean part b)!! I dun even understand what the hell it is asking, i had to skip that part and do it later. my answer is 9.xx hour. (provided that the question means water level rises from "bottom of ladder" to top and falls back to "bottom of ladder", 9.xx hour would be the time for 1 cycle for this) Sigh.

What did you guys get for the last one and the rocket one? I feel like I might have messed up the energy one.
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I think velocity was 12/x+3, making the acceleration -144/(x+3)^3. So Force was -72/(x+3)^3..... when x=3, then magnitude of force was 1/3??.. I think??

I remember this calculation

124(1321) \dfrac{1}{24} (13^2 - 1)
Can somebody tell me what we were supposed to put for 7d? the second SHM??
Reply 1067
Original post by hank_the_tank
Yup its 15l/16. For part A showing OB<l, i showed that the work done against friction when it moves 1/4l is less than the EPE stored inside the string initially. (i.e. 0.1mgl<0.125mgl), so that the particle P is still moving, but idk if this is the most appropriate method.

The ladder one is so confusing(i mean part b)!! I dun even understand what the hell it is asking, i had to skip that part and do it later. my answer is 9.xx hour. (provided that the question means water level rises from "bottom of ladder" to top and falls back to "bottom of ladder", 9.xx hour would be the time for 1 cycle for this) Sigh.

yes and i spent most of the time understanding the question (sigh but i got it wrong)
i remember some of the answers but most of them are probably wrong, idk i think i really screwed up my paper

horizontal circular motion - prove
SHM - a) prove + b) period (is it 2pi√a/g?)
SHM (ladder) - a) speed(1.54mh-1?) + b) length of time (sigh idk)
vertical circular motion - a) prove + b) distance AC? (i think i got 0.6m)
gravitation - a) prove + b) U=√(2/21)gR
elastic string - a) prove OB<l, b) distance OB (15l/16)
centre of mass - a) prove CoM of cone + b) angle between OA and c) vertical (38.2°) + d) value of k (11/4?)

now that i think about it, the paper was pretty straightforward except for the SHM part b one!!! :frown:
How many marks am I likely to lose for saying T>0 rather than T>=0 for question 6b (show that AB>=l/2) given that all my other working was correct? Also am I likely to lose a mark as I put -1/3N for the 1st question and it apparently asked for the magnitude?
Reply 1069
Original post by Ayman!
What did you guys get for the last one and the rocket one? I feel like I might have messed up the energy one.

the last one as in the value of k from the centre of mass question?
i got 11/4
and for the rocket one i think i got U=√ 2gR/21
Has anybody seen model answers around yet?
Original post by gagafacea1
Can somebody tell me what we were supposed to put for 7d? the second SHM??

(0.5+0.3)x (double dot) = -15.4(x)/1.3

I believe, not 100% confident on the modulus of elasticity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nthyy
yes and i spent most of the time understanding the question (sigh but i got it wrong)
i remember some of the answers but most of them are probably wrong, idk i think i really screwed up my paper

centre of mass - a) prove CoM of cone + b) angle between OA and c) vertical (38.2°) + d) value of k (11/4?)

now that i think about it, the paper was pretty straightforward except for the SHM part b one!!! :frown:

SHM ones and elastic string ones are different for me. Everything else seems to be okay.
Original post by Euclidean

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay but didn't it seem like a weird question? Only because we did the exact same thing in (a).
Original post by nthyy

Isnt the SHM period pi√2a/g
AC i got 0.534m i guess but surely its wrong
K - i got 11 /14 but i probably messed up reading the question.
also my lenght time is wrong probably might get 1 or 2 marks
overall i think i f***ed up this quite easy paper
Original post by Euclidean

Posted from TSR Mobile

mod was 15. length was 1.2
Original post by gagafacea1
Okay but didn't it seem like a weird question? Only because we did the exact same thing in (a).

very weird. I was doubting myself
Original post by Student403
very weird. I was doubting myself

I think it was mainly so we got omega to set us up for the last bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I think it was mainly so we got omega to set us up for the last bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point. Seems free marks in retrospect
To prove the SHM, it's the same thing as in the beginning, except the mass of the particle is 0.8 kg instead of 0.3 kg (if that was right) and also it starts from origin (so it's a sin function).

For amplitude, calculate the velocity at the centre of oscillation using conservation of momentum.

0.3*(Vmax of the initial oscillation) = 0.8(Vmax of new oscillation)

Vmax of new oscillation = Amplitude*angular speed.

Angular speed comes from the SHM equation, thus allowing you to calculate the amplitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending