The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics C2- 25th May 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosemondtan
Maybe you find it easy, good for you. I find it difficult because I'm trying to memorise the formula without having to refer to the formula sheet. I hate referring to it in the exams unless absolutely necessary. The word "difficult" has multiple synonyms in the thesaurus, it could mean inconvenience just as well.

yeah fair enough, just in comparison to some of the other stuff it's fairly simple. Also, it's usually one of the first questions on the paper, the fact that you're trying to memorize the formula is a bit silly if you're struggling because there is no point. To me it's not even a formula, its just changing powers, not difficult to remember, oh well... good luck with the exams bro!
do you think they will make the paper a little easy, knowing that the first a paper was difficult, as it was written 18 months ago, or difficult?
So, do you think it'd best to do Solomon papers over past papers?
Original post by Imjustaloner
So, do you think it'd best to do Solomon papers over past papers?

It's been said before multiple times, the best revision for any of the core modules are papers from www.madasmaths.com
Original post by Euclidean
It's been said before multiple times, the best revision for any of the core modules are papers from www.madasmaths.com

Thank you!!
Original post by Imjustaloner
I'm doing aqa? Like is there a difference, like is edexcel harder than aqa? Or the other way round, because I seem to be the only person doing the aqa as new spec 😂😂

Oh hahah 😂 I really have no idea mate.
And best of luck 👍🏻😁
Can someone please explain part b.

The mark scheme did this:
sinx=2cosx
sinx/cosx=2cosx/cosx
tanx=2
x=63.4, 243,4

I got these but I also got 90 and 270 because I did:
Sinx=2cosx
cosxtanx=2cosx
cosxtanx-2cos=0
cosx(tanx-2)=0
cosx=0 Tanx=2
So I got 90 and 270 as well
Original post by 4nonymous
Can someone please explain part b.

The mark scheme did this:
sinx=2cosx
sinx/cosx=2cosx/cosx
tanx=2
x=63.4, 243,4

I got these but I also got 90 and 270 because I did:
Sinx=2cosx
cosxtanx=2cosx
cosxtanx-2cos=0
cosx(tanx-2)=0
cosx=0 Tanx=2
So I got 90 and 270 as well

That's not correct because your solutions are solutions to cosx=0\cos x = 0 which isn't valid in the identity you've used.
Original post by Zacken
That's not correct because your solutions are solutions to cosx=0\cos x = 0 which isn't valid in the identity you've used.

Im not sure what you mean. Is it because sinx/cosx=tan and because cosx=0 then the fraction is not possible? If so I get it now. But would my method still be OK as long as I state that at the end?
ok so basically i haven't really started much revision, i pretty much know how to do binomial expansion polynomial division integration and trapezium ruled. I just need to work on trig identities, geometric sequences, radian sectors and stationary points how should i revise it books or papers and exam solution's. i have two days to revise
Original post by 4nonymous
Im not sure what you mean. Is it because sinx/cosx=tan and because cosx=0 then the fraction is not possible?

Yes. Just try to never write sin x = tan x cos x, it's s urgh. There's a much better away, as can be seen in the markscheme.

If so I get it now. But would my method still be OK as long as I state that at the end?

It'd be okay if you stated that and quite explicitly mentioned that you were rejecting 90 and 270 as solutions.
Original post by How's life???
ok so basically i haven't really started much revision, i pretty much know how to do binomial expansion polynomial division integration and trapezium ruled. I just need to work on trig identities, geometric sequences, radian sectors and stationary points how should i revise it books or papers and exam solution's. i have two days to revise

Papers. Examsolutions for anything you don't understand from the papers. And then back to papers.
Original post by Zacken
Papers. Examsolutions for anything you don't understand from the papers. And then back to papers.

alright thanks so ill do 6 past papers and 2 gold papers? get 3 done tomorrow and 3 done on monday and 2 on tuesday, will that be enough? i pretty much did papers for c1 but half the exam didnt follow the past paper patterns
Original post by How's life???
Will that be enough?

Yeah. Just make sure you understand what's going on.
Original post by Zacken
Yes. Just try to never write sin x = tan x cos x, it's s urgh. There's a much better away, as can be seen in the markscheme.

It'd be okay if you stated that and quite explicitly mentioned that you were rejecting 90 and 270 as solutions.

Thanks
Original post by Zacken
Yeah. Just make sure you understand what's going on.

i got ya thanks
How likely do you guys think it is that sigma notation will come up? I can do standard geometric sequences questions but for some reason that always throws me.
Original post by chloeabeki
How likely do you guys think it is that sigma notation will come up? I can do standard geometric sequences questions but for some reason that always throws me.

What kind of things throw you? There is time to learn them :tongue: is it when r is not equal to 1?
Original post by SeanFM
What kind of things throw you? There is time to learn them :tongue: is it when r is not equal to 1?

Particularly that, yes! I was planning on looking for some online resources (examsolutions etc) but didn't know if it'd be worth revising it a lot, seeing as from the past papers I've done it doesn't seem to come up that often... But Edexcel have seemed to quite like throwing curveballs recently...
Original post by chloeabeki

Are you referring to this?

image.gif

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending