The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Andrews or Durham?

I have a conditional offer for both (same conditions) and am having a hard time choosing which one to choose. Has anyone had to pick between them and why did they choose the school they did?
Reply 1
Well whats the subject?

Arts - go St Andrews
Sciences - go Durham
Social science (economics, politics) go Durham
Medicine - either
Computer Science - St Andrews
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I can't really answer your question, but what grades at A level do you need
Original post by kasiacheng
I have a conditional offer for both (same conditions) and am having a hard time choosing which one to choose. Has anyone had to pick between them and why did they choose the school they did?

Hi Kasia. I hope it's not too late but I'm currently studying International Relations at St Andrews as part of their dual degree with William and Mary College in the US. I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the course here at St Andrews and that it's so easy to fit in around here. I have a friend who was in the same position as you are now. He decided to come to St Andrews to study IR rather than do History at Durham because of the high staff to student ratio here which meanswe get quality contact and seminar time with our lecturers and professors. (I'm afraid I can't help you on that front if you're doing a science subject I'm afraid. Sorry!). However, the key thing that drew him here was the inclusive atmosphere around St Andrews. Because it is relatively small and detached town, there is a strong sense of community within the student community at St Andrews and I certaintly felt that when I first came here. On the other hand, the one pro that Durham definitely has over St Andrews is that it's nowhere near as isolated and id more urban and accessible, with Newcastle close by if your a keen music fan, like myself, and want to get to some gigs. From St Andrews, it's a trek to either Glasgow or Edinburgh which is a bit more of a pain. The one big advantage that St Andrews does have is it's location (only if you like the countryside haha) as you're minutes away from the beautiful coastline and not too far away from the Highlands as well. I hope this infos helped you a little and I'm sure whichever one you choose you'll enjoy. Best of luck for your exams and hope you get the results you want!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by walker.kyle
Hi Kasia. I hope it's not too late but I'm currently studying International Relations at St Andrews as part of their dual degree with William and Mary College in the US. I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the course here at St Andrews and that it's so easy to fit in around here. I have a friend who was in the same position as you are now. He decided to come to St Andrews to study IR rather than do History at Durham because of the high staff to student ratio here which meanswe get quality contact and seminar time with our lecturers and professors. (I'm afraid I can't help you on that front if you're doing a science subject I'm afraid. Sorry!). However, the key thing that drew him here was the inclusive atmosphere around St Andrews. Because it is relatively small and detached town, there is a strong sense of community within the student community at St Andrews and I certaintly felt that when I first came here. On the other hand, the one pro that Durham definitely has over St Andrews is that it's nowhere near as isolated and id more urban and accessible, with Newcastle close by if your a keen music fan, like myself, and want to get to some gigs. From St Andrews, it's a trek to either Glasgow or Edinburgh which is a bit more of a pain. The one big advantage that St Andrews does have is it's location (only if you like the countryside haha) as you're minutes away from the beautiful coastline and not too far away from the Highlands as well. I hope this infos helped you a little and I'm sure whichever one you choose you'll enjoy. Best of luck for your exams and results!

What do you recommend for engineering?
Original post by KingYusHalo
What do you recommend for engineering?

Hi there! I'm afraid I can't be of too much help when talking about engineering and science subjects as I'm not too familiar with what they entail. However, like I said before, St Andrews is a great place to come and study and is enjoyable regardless of the degree you're doing. Once again, I'm sorry that I can't be of too much help with regards to the engineering part of your question.
Original post by fandom-queen
I know this is a stupid question, but lots of people have told me that St.Andrews students are quite.......elite. They come from really rich families and I feel as if they may be a bit high-nosed.

I'm sure they're wonderful people, but, as i'm an international student from India, I'm worried that they won't be as welcoming to me, and may form their own cliques.

Hi. As you probably know, William and Kate were at St Andrews a few years back but if I'm going to be honest, there aren't as many of these elites around as you would think, and many of them you wouldn't even notice were 'elite' as they are mainly well-grounded and nice people to chat and socailise with. I'd like to say I'm from a fairly modest background myself having grown up in the outskirts of Glasgow with no special privileges and I felt like it was very easy to fit in and that people rarely stick their nose up at you. With regards to international students, St Andrews has many of them and everyone mixes with each other and there aren't just cliques that solely consist of international students, local students or snooty students 😂. Out of interest, what other unis are you looking at?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kasiacheng

What did you choose in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest