The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or St Andrews for mathematics masters

Hey, I'm an international student from the US planning to do my masters in the UK. I have gotten offers from both St Andrews and Durham for a masters in mathematics but at the moment I'm unsure of where to accept. I'm currently leaning a bit towards Durham, but was hoping that I could get some insight from people in the UK on the pros and cons of each university.
These are just some facts/stereotypes but Durham and St Andrews is considered to be located in smaller cities, St Andrews being bigger than Durham I think. The universities are small itself.
St Andrews of course is located in Scotland while Durham is located in the North East of England - if you're bothered about what country you'd actually want to reside in.
Durham is regarded as a Russel Group university while St Andrews is not, but these are just names older universities hold although it might be beneficial for future employment purposes.
Durham is a collegiate university although I wouldn't know the situation thoroughly for postgraduate students whereas St Andrews is a normal campus uni.
If you are bothered, take a look at subject specific rankings and course structures/modules for the respective unis
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
My son is studying an integrated Masters in maths in Durham. He is really enjoying the course, and likes the lecturers, and thinks the standard of teaching is good. The collegiate system at Durham sets it apart, and the colleges are so much more than halls of residence, with their own clubs, societies, events and formal dinners. My son has found the system very supportive.

Quick Reply

Latest