(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rkai01
How is
For pic 1: 8C done
Pic 2: 17 b done
Pic 3: 3 a done
Pic 4: 8 c and 8d done

Thanks very much!

8c is done the same way as 8b. Square root both sides to get +/- 1 on the right, take the inverse tan of both sides and get an expression for the argument. The locus should be two intersecting straight lines.

Does anyone have any clues as to different ways to go about this one?

Please spoiler if so :tongue:
Original post by Euclidean

Does anyone have any clues as to different ways to go about this one?

Please spoiler if so :tongue:

See below. Missing a bit of the question. Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.36.17.png
Original post by Zacken
See below. Missing a bit of the question. Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 15.36.17.png

I was wondering why it was so difficult :lol:

Original post by Zacken

I'm in awe of your ability to know questions. Just wow.
Original post by Zacken

Was just going to say...it would be very surprising if they gave no help whatsoever on what function to consider.
fp2 capture 4.JPGDoes anyone have an idea on how to go about this? I've tried rearranging for z, then using the conjugate to get the x and y values and then subbing them in but it got far too complicated so I thought that there may be an easier way. Thanks
Reply 628
Original post by Alby1234
fp2 capture 4.JPGDoes anyone have an idea on how to go about this? I've tried rearranging for z, then using the conjugate to get the x and y values and then subbing them in but it got far too complicated so I thought that there may be an easier way. Thanks

Note that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1 is a circle. You can represent a circle as a complex number: |z|=1

Does that help things?
Original post by oinkk
Note that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1 is a circle. You can represent a circle as a complex number: |z|=1

Does that help things?

Ah yes it does, I'll give it a shot and let you know if there's a problem. Thanks!
Reply 630
Original post by Alby1234
Ah yes it does, I'll give it a shot and let you know if there's a problem. Thanks!

No worries :smile:
Reply 631
Original post by A Slice of Pi
8c is done the same way as 8b. Square root both sides to get +/- 1 on the right, take the inverse tan of both sides and get an expression for the argument. The locus should be two intersecting straight lines.

How about the other questions?
Original post by Rkai01
How is
For pic 1: 8C done
Pic 2: 17 b done
Pic 3: 3 a done
Pic 4: 8 c and 8d done

Thanks very much!

@Zacken

For 17b (pic 2) I couldn't see any obvious method other than Polar coordinates. I use r = 2sin(theta) and use standard area finding by integrating r^2 / 2 with limits of pi/3 and pi/4. I'm not sure that is the polar coordinates for a circle of center off the origin but I think it is. Hope this helps.
Can you send a link of the answers?
Reply 633
Original post by Pyslocke
For 17b (pic 2) I couldn't see any obvious method other than Polar coordinates. I use r = 2sin(theta) and use standard area finding by integrating r^2 / 2 with limits of pi/3 and pi/4. I'm not sure that is the polar coordinates for a circle of center off the origin but I think it is. Hope this helps.

I agree with this method. I can't see any other way of approaching it either.

Note that I really can't see this appearing on an examination. We do have to be able to convert loci into Cartesian form. And we do have to be able to convert Cartesian forms into polar forms. But this has never been tested together, and is very unlikely to be tested together in the future.

Method and answer (not a worked solution solution) below if you need it. The question is actually quite easy once you can access the method.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Regarding the hint in the question attached, how would you determine to have t^3 in the P.I. instead of t^2 or t^1?
What from the C.F. indicates that it should be this way?
Thanks.
Reply 635
Original post by paradoxequation
Regarding the hint in the question attached, how would you determine to have t^3 in the P.I. instead of t^2 or t^1?
What from the C.F. indicates that it should be this way?
Thanks.

See this from the other day: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3696793&page=29&p=65317659#post65317659

Reply if you need any clarification. It may help reading Examples 10, 11 & 12 on page 95—98 of the Edexcel textbook first to understand where the first extra t comes from, and then reading that post to help understand where the second t comes from in this question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kennz
From part a(i) and a(ii) you get lambad =3 and mu=-sqrt(3)
From the sketch you did in part b, you have 4 points that belong on the circle.
So, you can subistute the cartesian equivlents of these points into the equation for a circle (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 and then solve silmutaneously. Because the 4 points lie on either the x or y axis, this makes it a lot easier to solve.
you should get centre (-0.5(1+sqrt(3)), 0.5(1+sqrt(3)))

Thank you, I've done parts a and b now, please could you explain, I've found that the radius is root6 but not sure whether this is right? And how do I find the coordinates of the centre from here please? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Pyslocke

Original post by oinkk
I agree with this method. I can't see any other way of approaching it either.

Note that I really can't see this appearing on an examination. We do have to be able to convert loci into Cartesian form. And we do have to be able to convert Cartesian forms into polar forms. But this has never been tested together, and is very unlikely to be tested together in the future.

Method and answer (not a worked solution solution) below if you need it. The question is actually quite easy once you can access the method.

Spoiler

Haven't actually tried it, but surely a sketch and some basic GCSE geometry should get you the answer?
Original post by oinkk
See this from the other day: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3696793&page=29&p=65317659#post65317659

Reply if you need any clarification. It may help reading Examples 10, 11 & 12 on page 95—98 of the Edexcel textbook first to understand where the first extra t comes from, and then reading that post to help understand where the second t comes from in this question.

Thank you! I didn't consider that the repeated roots would affect this, but I get it now. :smile:
Hey guys, just to clarify (or to be corrected), to get an A* in FM do you need to average 90 UMS across 3 of 4 A2 units, and then average 80 UMS across all the units in total? (6)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending