The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somevirtualguy
Hey guys, just to clarify (or to be corrected), to get an A* in FM do you need to average 90 UMS across 3 of 4 A2 units, and then average 80 UMS across all the units in total? (6)

You do 6 FM units. You need 480/600 total UMS across all 6 of them and you need 270/300 out of your three best A2 modules.
Original post by paradoxequation
Regarding the hint in the question attached, how would you determine to have t^3 in the P.I. instead of t^2 or t^1?
What from the C.F. indicates that it should be this way?
Thanks.

If you let y = (lamda)te^2t then it equates to zero. So it cannot satisfy both equations as one solution contradicts the other. It also doesn't work for (lamda)t^2e^2t. . They just spare you the hassle of getting the right one. Try it out yourself and see that the t^1 and t^2 can't have a valid solution.

Original post by Zacken
Haven't actually tried it, but surely a sketch and some basic GCSE geometry should get you the answer?

It would seem that way but after looking at the sketched graph I can't figure out another practical way of solving it. If you try it let me know if you found another viable solution
(edited 7 years ago)
Got 7 days to revise this. Did all the pre-P2 ones few months ago. Don't want to waste time on useless papers, and will only do 1 or 2 a day? Do you recommend any papers (i.e. challenging)? They can be P2.
Please can anyone explain question 28b here https://8fd9eafbb84fdb32c73d8e44d980d7008581d86e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTnpyeF8xQlZweHc/REV1.pdf how do we work with the 3 to the power r? Thanks :smile:
Original post by economicss
Please can anyone explain question 28b here https://8fd9eafbb84fdb32c73d8e44d980d7008581d86e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYTnpyeF8xQlZweHc/REV1.pdf how do we work with the 3 to the power r? Thanks :smile:

Multiply the terms by the 1/3^r

For example, for r=1 it's
(3112)13=3316(\frac31 - \frac12)\frac13 = \frac33 - \frac16
Original post by Rkai01
How about the other questions?

I have only just looked at the others and I really think you should have another go at them yourself. The last two of those questions are identical and are pretty trivial. You need little more than core 2 knowledge of area of a circular sector and triangle for the other.
Original post by Craig1998
Multiply the terms by the 1/3^r

For example, for r=1 it's
(3112)13=3316(\frac31 - \frac12)\frac13 = \frac33 - \frac16

Thank you, got it now :smile:
Reply 647
Thank you, I've done parts a and b now, please could you explain, I've found that the radius is root6 but not sure whether this is right? And how do I find the coordinates of the centre from here please? Thanks :smile:

r= root2
you have 4 complex numbers which I will show in (x,y)=(real,imaginary)
(-root3,0) (-1,0) (0,1) (0,root3)
Then you can make 4 equations for the circle with this information but you only need 3 equations. If you need me to, I will go through this whole question with you but I'll let you have a go first.
Original post by kennz
r= root2
you have 4 complex numbers which I will show in (x,y)=(real,imaginary)
(-root3,0) (-1,0) (0,1) (0,root3)
Then you can make 4 equations for the circle with this information but you only need 3 equations. If you need me to, I will go through this whole question with you but I'll let you have a go first.

Hallelujah I've finally got it! Thanks so much for all your help and patience :smile:
Please can someone explain how to use the decomposition method for integrals, like how it is used in question 31 here http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/1st_order_differential_equations_substitutions.pdf Thanks :smile:
Reply 650
Hallelujah I've finally got it! Thanks so much for all your help and patience :smile:

your very welcome, good luck for the exam:smile:
Original post by target21859
Hello, I don't understand the answer to this question. The answer is r=(2/9)root6cosectheta but I don't understand why you need the cosectheta bit since you know what sintheta is. Couldn't you just sub that in and get r=some constant? Because there's only one point where the line is parallel to the initial line.

do you have any other examples of questions like this where you need to find equations of lines? thanks very much :smile:
13256375_10205200627169931_2699663282843987842_n.jpg
Attachment not found

Attachment not found

since its mod-arg form i thought you just do in range -pi<arg<=pi
13308279_10205207039250229_6924057900932962339_o.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Thought since you want to replace the dx/dt you start with that, it seems they started with dy/dt., help ?
Please can someone explain how to use the decomposition method for integrals, like how it is used in question 31 here http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/1st_order_differential_equations_substitutions.pdf Thanks :smile:

Just use partial fraction method you had learnt in C4 (you should get 1232(z+1) \frac{1}{2} - \frac{3}{2(z+1)} ) and then times both sides by 2 and integrate. :tongue:
Reply 655
Should I use a compass in the exam for drawing circles and stuff, like for complex loci and some polar curves? as I'm not the greatest at sketching but would I get marked down for this because its an accurate drawing and not a sketch?
Original post by kennz
Should I use a compass in the exam for drawing circles and stuff, like for complex loci and some polar curves? as I'm not the greatest at sketching but would I get marked down for this because its an accurate drawing and not a sketch?

You won't get marked down.

That said, I use a compass anyway because it helps me understand what's going on better if I have a clear picture. It's always good to have neat diagrams, it saves you from having to visualise things in your head.
Reply 657
Original post by Zacken
You won't get marked down.

That said, I use a compass anyway because it helps me understand what's going on better if I have a clear picture. It's always good to have neat diagrams, it saves you from having to visualise things in your head.

ok thank you
Original post by Patrick2810
do you have any other examples of questions like this where you need to find equations of lines? thanks very much :smile:

No it's the only one I've found sorry :frown:

As in how x1x+1\frac {x-1}{x+1} becomes 12x+11 - \frac{2}{x+1}?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending