The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OrdinaryStudent
A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet
9th June 2016

Pre-release focus: 21st Century Superpowers: China and India?

Please vote on the poll above if you are studying Edexcel Geography :smile:

Not very long until the exam! Please post down any predictions you may have on what may come up for any topic.

This website is really useful for any last min
revision https://geographyalevelslc.com/a-level-unit-3/

I'm planning on answering the water and development question. Having a stress on how to plan and structure the questions to get maximum marks especially on 15's also on how to conclude- if anyone has any tips??
For the unit 3 exam, if it asks you to evaluate say the economic costs of something for example, do you also mention the economic benefits too? When do you give both sides of the argument ie for and against?
For energy only 5 points from the spec haven't came up as a 15 marker
1) Access to and consumption of renewable/non-renewable resources is not evenly distributed and depends on factors
2)Demand for energy is growing globally and at regional local scales
3) Energy pathways are complex and show increasing levels of risk
4) Energy insecurity has stimulated exploration of technically difficult and sensitive areas
5) Different responses to increasing energy demands
- Hopefully 4/5 comes up
For development gap :
1) Trade and investment as a key role in the development gap
2) The development gap has ethnic/religious dimension
3) Range of theories/approaches to reducing the gap
4) Trade, investment and economic growth have a role in reducing the gap
5) The future of the development gap is a stark one
- Likely question to come up around reducing the development gap ( linked with MDG)
Original post by 99joey
Yeah sure, I just got a recent tectonics mock back that was an A, PM me your email and I'll send it too you

Sorry,would you mind sending it to me too?

my email is : [email protected]

Thanks !!
Original post by JoshFlySon
1) Access to and consumption of renewable/non-renewable resources is not evenly distributed and depends on factors
4) Energy insecurity has stimulated exploration of technically difficult and sensitive areas
- Hopefully 4/5 comes up
For development gap :
- Likely question to come up around reducing the development gap ( linked with MDG)

3) Energy pathways are complex and show increasing levels of risk4) Energy insecurity has stimulated exploration of technically difficult and sensitive areas

these have come up!
3) Energy pathways are complex and show increasing levels of risk4) Energy insecurity has stimulated exploration of technically difficult and sensitive areas

these have come up!

Energy pathways was about political and economic impacts of disruption not about increasing levels of risk
Energy pathways was about political and economic impacts of disruption not about increasing levels of risk

so what type of question can they ask for that?
Reply 367
I feel like if they're just constantly recycling questions that water could have a players question? Hasn't occurred in the last few years. Just speculating though!
Original post by nadrxj
I feel like if they're just constantly recycling questions that water could have a players question? Hasn't occurred in the last few years. Just speculating though!

I have also speculated this, but unsure as Players has come up at least twice for waters i think
Reply 369
I have also speculated this, but unsure as Players has come up at least twice for waters i think

Yeah that's true, but looking through it just looks like a cycle of Players, Transboundary/Conflicts and then projects be it large scale of small scale.

Really don't know what to expect.
Reply 370
Hi guys

In the superpowers pre release for figure 13 (the resources and onward) what stuff should i include for synoptic links and i don't understand the impacts on the last page! Could someone please help me, we glossed over it with my teacher because we were running out of time so I really have no idea what to do
Hi everyone,

For those doing Development Gap, what sort of things do you think 15 markers involving the MDGs could contain? Their deadline was 2015, so other than looking at how successful each one in turn has been (which really doesn't cover that much of the spec if you think about debt, key players) what do you think it could be? Only I struggle to see how you could get a solid, high-quality 15 marks out of answering simply on the Goals without being able to introduce other parts of the spec. It just seems very narrow (but then Edexcel do seem to enjoy teaching us a tonne of things and then only testing us on about 5% of them...)

Maybe an evaluation of the role or success of global frameworks, such as the MDGs, in reducing the gap? In which case you could then introduce other key ideas about local/national/global poverty reduction?

Good luck everyone!
- Hopefully 4/5 comes up
For development gap :

- would you be talking about the radical new technologies/policies or something elsE?

or would you cut it into developed / developing world and say how they would respond to increasing demand do 2 paragraphs on each?
e.g - developed: explore alternate sources of energy i .e renewable + introduce radical new policies to combat energy demand
developing: use alternate fuels like biofuel made from animal dung etc and migration to the city b/c of better electricity turn over there
NIC: consume more coal +fossil fuels (china) + create new energy pathways (china - myanmar pipeline and china -kazakshtan pipeline) or india who have delved in creating more renewable sources
Original post by 90780
Hi guys

In the superpowers pre release for figure 13 (the resources and onward) what stuff should i include for synoptic links and i don't understand the impacts on the last page! Could someone please help me, we glossed over it with my teacher because we were running out of time so I really have no idea what to do

Hi,

First of all, don't panic! The resource booklet is only a framework to which we need to refer, they're looking for outside knowledge and research to back up your ideas too :smile:

I've attached a document with some ideas I just bolted down on the last few Figures and possible links. Please bear in mind that it's not everything, and that there is no wrong answer as long as you can back it up!

I really hope it helps, it's been good for me to get some ideas down too. Best of luck and if you have stuff to add/ask please do send back anything.

Good luck!
Georgia :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
What could they ask about the Views on page 7, or how could they be integrated/ mentioned in an answer?
Original post by willmotg

Maybe an evaluation of the role or success of global frameworks, such as the MDGs, in reducing the gap? In which case you could then introduce other key ideas about local/national/global poverty reduction?

Good luck everyone!

I would agree with your last part - I don't think they would ask a 15 solely around the MDGs. I suppose it could come up in a 10 marker with a figure showing the varying progress globally - although something similar has been done like this before.
Original post by econam
I would agree with your last part - I don't think they would ask a 15 solely around the MDGs. I suppose it could come up in a 10 marker with a figure showing the varying progress globally - although something similar has been done like this before.

Ah that's true - I hadn't thought about it being in a 10 marker.
Original post by thelizzister
For 'life on the margins', in terms of political factors what case studies will you use? or for case studies like China or Sudan what would you say the political factors are and would you judge them as the most significant reason for food supply inequality?:s-smilie:

Somalia for famine, as its due too political failure and AL SHABAAB blocking off food aid and counterterroism laws blocking the flow of cash to the region (thomas reuter foundation)
Original post by 99joey
These are the timing suggested by my teacher and I just stick to them, no matter what, if I don't finish I just move on to next question
Section A:
10 marker - 16 minutes
15 marker - 24 minutes
Section B:12 marker - 21 minutes
16 marker -28 minutes
Unit 4:
Plan - 7 minutes
Introduction - 18 minutes
Methods Table - 5 minutes
Analysis and sub-conclusion - 45 minutes
Conclusion - 10 minutes
Hope that helps

What is the methods table?
Original post by awesomewarsome
- would you be talking about the radical new technologies/policies or something elsE?

or would you cut it into developed / developing world and say how they would respond to increasing demand do 2 paragraphs on each?
e.g - developed: explore alternate sources of energy i .e renewable + introduce radical new policies to combat energy demand
developing: use alternate fuels like biofuel made from animal dung etc and migration to the city b/c of better electricity turn over there
NIC: consume more coal +fossil fuels (china) + create new energy pathways (china - myanmar pipeline and china -kazakshtan pipeline) or india who have delved in creating more renewable sources

I think its business as usual, nuclear and renewables

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending