The Student Room Group

How do you study for A Level Geography?

Hi, I’m a Year 13 who really needs to start studying for my A Level Geography exams and I wanted to know how my fellow geographers are studying. I’m really struggling honestly so I would love any good resources. (btw my exam board is Edexcel but I’d love advice regardless)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I suggest you do past papers but don't just answer them without knowing you properly understand the subject, you can know you understood a subject by knowing what a question is asking and how to manipulate it to mean something else.
I would suggest you spend time on mind maps too that will help you with your understanding a lot in understand the concept and try to connect them together rather than studying subjects in Isolation.
Then you can test your knowledge with past papers
Good luck on your exams, from a fellow student 👍
I do flashcards on anki for everything it is extremely time consuming right now but hoping it’ll be worth it in the end
Reply 4
Original post by random555
I do flashcards on anki for everything it is extremely time consuming right now but hoping it’ll be worth it in the end
Hi do you use your own class notes to make flashcards or any resources/books in particular?
Reply 5
Original post by scary-songwriter
I suggest you do past papers but don't just answer them without knowing you properly understand the subject, you can know you understood a subject by knowing what a question is asking and how to manipulate it to mean something else.
I would suggest you spend time on mind maps too that will help you with your understanding a lot in understand the concept and try to connect them together rather than studying subjects in Isolation.
Then you can test your knowledge with past papers
Good luck on your exams, from a fellow student 👍
Hi thank you for your advice! Do you make flashcards on one topic in particular (for example one whole mind map for just tectonics) or a different method?
Original post by berryverse
Hi thank you for your advice! Do you make flashcards on one topic in particular (for example one whole mind map for just tectonics) or a different method?

I would advise making one for each topic and trying to connect the mind maps to make the information flow.
Reply 7
Hi there my daughter is doing A Level Geography Edexcel. She is breaking each section of the exam paper down. So for Paper 1, Section A (Tectonic Processes and Hazards) she is making bullet point notes but more importantly, ensuring she knows her case studies (specific earthquakes/tsunami impact, resolution etc). Then she moves onto section B (whichever your school chose) and doing the same and repeating making sure she knows her case studies as this will help you answer those big marker questions. Paper 3 is a lot of previous content in paper 1 and 2. Practice past papers after (Maths and Physics Tutor - also has detailed notes as well), Quizlet etc. Good luck!!
Original post by berryverse
Hi, I’m a Year 13 who really needs to start studying for my A Level Geography exams and I wanted to know how my fellow geographers are studying. I’m really struggling honestly so I would love any good resources. (btw my exam board is Edexcel but I’d love advice regardless)
Hi so im an A* student and here are my tips on how i do it:

Start with notes from powerpoints, videos on youtube or a revision textbook but very very brief and I condense it to each topic being a double sided A3

Then i do flashcards for case studies based on all the topics and do those in my spare moments like on the way to college

then I plan out longer questions and attempt the shorter ones, working with my teachers to plan out 20 markers and 12 markers and doing them and just getting them marked constantly. Thats the secret

Quick Reply

Latest