The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Media Studies Exam 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IzzyWatkins
I'm thinking creativity or digital technology

I think digital technology was in the 2015 paper
Reply 21
since creativity has a very high chance of coming up does anyone know how to answer it. I am really struggling .
Original post by HTA18
I think digital technology was in the 2015 paper

My teacher told us it was conventions of real media texts...:/
Reply 23
I am not sure but I remember they said it was digital :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
how u getting on with the creativity question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IzzyWatkins
My teacher told us it was conventions of real media texts...:/

Last year it was conventions of real media texts, I have the exam paper and it definitely was!
Can anyone help me with the 'Media Language' aspect of question 1B?
Our class has literally gone through hell with one of our teachers as she hasn't been the least bit helpful and I have actually learnt more in the last ten minutes by just scrolling through these posts!
Which theorists would you use for it and would it be best to talk about a music magazine (AS) or a music video (A2)?
Original post by _ruthelizabetha
Can anyone help me with the 'Media Language' aspect of question 1B?
Our class has literally gone through hell with one of our teachers as she hasn't been the least bit helpful and I have actually learnt more in the last ten minutes by just scrolling through these posts!
Which theorists would you use for it and would it be best to talk about a music magazine (AS) or a music video (A2)?

Mannn I have the same problem as you, one of my teachers has been so useless regarding media language section, like honestly the worst!

From looking at previous exam answers and looking at an A2 media revision pack (http://www.slideshare.net/andywallis/a2-media-studies-revision-pack), media language is in reference to how you (the producer) have created meaning using mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing and sound.

You can pretty much use any of the theorists from the other sections and apply them to media language. So, for example, 'the final girl' theory proposed by Carol Clover can be applied to media language (I created a horror trailer, unfortunately I do not know any of the theorists for music videos!)

Example - For my A2 coursework, I produced a horror trailer. I have constructed meaning by using a female protagonist 'Taylor', and have constructed her to appear kind, caring and feminine at the beginning of the trailer, but have developed her psychotic, masculine change towards the end. This complies with the 'final girl' theory, proposed by Carol Clover, as she suggested that a female character in horror trailers undergoes a change from highly feminine to masculine as the narrative develops. At the beginning, I used high key lighting to give connotations of her angelic presence, along with her costume consisting of a blue floral top, her long hair flowing down her back, and make-up such as mascara and foundation to portray her femininity. Towards the end, she is seen in a close-ups with her hair tied back behind her face, demonstrating connotations of a typical male hair-cut, she is turning masculine.

Hope this helps! (Also, if I am incorrect, feel free to correct me!)
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
Mannn I have the same problem as you, one of my teachers has been so useless regarding media language section, like honestly the worst!

From looking at previous exam answers and looking at an A2 media revision pack (http://www.slideshare.net/andywallis/a2-media-studies-revision-pack), media language is in reference to how you (the producer) have created meaning using mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing and sound.

You can pretty much use any of the theorists from the other sections and apply them to media language. So, for example, 'the final girl' theory proposed by Carol Clover can be applied to media language (I created a horror trailer, unfortunately I do not know any of the theorists for music videos!)

Example - For my A2 coursework, I produced a horror trailer. I have constructed meaning by using a female protagonist 'Taylor', and have constructed her to appear kind, caring and feminine at the beginning of the trailer, but have developed her psychotic, masculine change towards the end. This complies with the 'final girl' theory, proposed by Carol Clover, as she suggested that a female character in horror trailers undergoes a change from highly feminine to masculine as the narrative develops. At the beginning, I used high key lighting to give connotations of her angelic presence, along with her costume consisting of a blue floral top, her long hair flowing down her back, and make-up such as mascara and foundation to portray her femininity. Towards the end, she is seen in a close-ups with her hair tied back behind her face, demonstrating connotations of a typical male hair-cut, she is turning masculine.

Hope this helps! (Also, if I am incorrect, feel free to correct me!)

Thank you so much! This has helped a lot!!
So, I understand that creativity is likely to come up. What are the chances of it coming up by itself? Or is that not in the spec for it to come up alone?
Original post by annieprincess
So, I understand that creativity is likely to come up. What are the chances of it coming up by itself? Or is that not in the spec for it to come up alone?

I guess it could be a stand alone question for creativity, and as you said it has not come up before on its own, so it stands a chance I suppose. It's more likely to be a combination of two, e.g. creativity in research and planning (:
If creativity on its own comes up that will be a kick in the balls, because I was told that its never creativity on its own haha! Thanks ocr :')

How much do the grade boundaries typically change year to year?
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
If creativity on its own comes up that will be a kick in the balls, because I was told that its never creativity on its own haha! Thanks ocr :':wink:

How much do the grade boundaries typically change year to year?

From research, it doesn't typically change, however it can change by a couple of marks or so. For AS the grade boundaries last year were (out of 200):

A = 160. B = 140. C = 120. D = 100.

Regarding overall for a-level media (out of 400), it's typically:

A* = 350. A = 320. B = 280. C = 240. (I BELIEVE!)
Reply 33
Any predictions for 1b?
Original post by ogm
Any predictions for 1b?

Probably going to be media language or audience
Reply 35
Will someone be able to post an example essay using audience. Thanks
Should I be writing a conclusion in 1B?
Original post by _ruthelizabetha
Should I be writing a conclusion in 1B?

I would. You should conclude any essay, whether it's short or long. My 1b conclusions are usually about 3-4 lines, talking about whether or not my coursework conforms to the theorists, etc.

Whether or not you get marks for what's in your conclusion, I feel that an intro and conclusion gives coherence and structure to your essay, which you do get marks for.

If you're stretched for time, you could leave it out and come back to it at the end if you had the time.
For the second question I'm doing collective identity. My teacher told me that I can only write about British texts, but I have more useful American films and extracts that I could apply better, am I able to do this?
Is anybody doing We Media for the 50 mark question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending