The Student Room Group

How to write film studies essays at GCSE

Hi, i am currently doing GCSE film studies (WJEC) and was wondering, how do i write the essays(15 markers)? I feel like we have done no practice on it in class and i was hoping someone would have maybe an essay structure or some youtube videos that could help me? Thanks
Original post by asdagkshdgaskdh
Hi, i am currently doing GCSE film studies (WJEC) and was wondering, how do i write the essays(15 markers)? I feel like we have done no practice on it in class and i was hoping someone would have maybe an essay structure or some youtube videos that could help me? Thanks

I took Film Studies at college and have a degree in Film and English, so I can help you out. Let me know of the question and I'll help you with answering it. This might be best done through private messaging.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I took Film Studies at college and have a degree in Film and English, so I can help you out. Let me know of the question and I'll help you with answering it. This might be best done through private messaging.

Hi, i appreciate the quick response. Im not able to send pms yet for some reason, possibly because i made my account fairly recently to post this question. The types of questions i see on my exam boards past papers are like 'Explore how lighting and/or colour are used in the film you have studied. Refer to at least one key sequence.' and they give you a choice of films, then u pick the one u studied(if that makes sense lol). These are usually 15 markers and i have not even remotely been taught a structure. Thanks
Hi, i appreciate the quick response. Im not able to send pms yet for some reason, possibly because i made my account fairly recently to post this question. The types of questions i see on my exam boards past papers are like 'Explore how lighting and/or colour are used in the film you have studied. Refer to at least one key sequence.' and they give you a choice of films, then u pick the one u studied(if that makes sense lol). These are usually 15 markers and i have not even remotely been taught a structure. Thanks

I think in terms of structure you need to introduce the film with general statements. For example, one of my favourite films is The Big Lebowski, so I'd say that The Big Lebowski uses colour in a variety of expressive ways to reflect the tone the film is taking and how that can relate to characters and the context of a scene.

The first paragraph should be a general introduction outlining your film and saying it uses colour and lighting in a variety of expressive ways, and then make subtle references to what you will explain through the course of the essay.

The next paragraph should focus on your most crucial point you want to make regarding colour or lighting, and then unpack why this is crucial and the most important part of the scene. The rest of the essay should cascade, in the sense that everything else you say in the essay should flow from that most important aspect.

Try to make sure that one point leads into the next if you can think of a way to do that. Like if say the lighting shows uncertainty and conflict, then find a way to express how colour does the exact same thing, and draw that into the characters, story and the scene in general.

For the conclusion you need to sum up all the points made in a way that addresses them in short order whilst answering the essay's question clearly.

I don't know if GCSE is too early for this, but try and use vocabulary like Mise En Scene in the essay if relevant-which is every object you see in the scene which will mean something-this may not be relevant or necessary, but it maybe useful.

I wouldn't mind writing an example for you if that'd be clearer?

Hope what I said helps, but if not I can write out an example of an essay to help you further.

Let me know what film you want to focus on, and I can help you further.
I think in terms of structure you need to introduce the film with general statements. For example, one of my favourite films is The Big Lebowski, so I'd say that The Big Lebowski uses colour in a variety of expressive ways to reflect the tone the film is taking and how that can relate to characters and the context of a scene.

The first paragraph should be a general introduction outlining your film and saying it uses colour and lighting in a variety of expressive ways, and then make subtle references to what you will explain through the course of the essay.

The next paragraph should focus on your most crucial point you want to make regarding colour or lighting, and then unpack why this is crucial and the most important part of the scene. The rest of the essay should cascade, in the sense that everything else you say in the essay should flow from that most important aspect.

Try to make sure that one point leads into the next if you can think of a way to do that. Like if say the lighting shows uncertainty and conflict, then find a way to express how colour does the exact same thing, and draw that into the characters, story and the scene in general.

For the conclusion you need to sum up all the points made in a way that addresses them in short order whilst answering the essay's question clearly.

I don't know if GCSE is too early for this, but try and use vocabulary like Mise En Scene in the essay if relevant-which is every object you see in the scene which will mean something-this may not be relevant or necessary, but it maybe useful.

I wouldn't mind writing an example for you if that'd be clearer?

Hope what I said helps, but if not I can write out an example of an essay to help you further.

Let me know what film you want to focus on, and I can help you further.

Hi, I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to help. For my mocks we are doing paper 2, which focuses on global films. The films we have studied and what the questions will be on are Submarine (aesthetics) , Tsotsi (representations) and Jojo Rabbit(narrative) + Key elements of film form for all. An example essay would be great, only if you have the time of course. Do you know like a paragraph structure that would be applicable to any essay question(regardless of what it's asking), similar to the PEEL or PETAL paragraphs in English literature? How many paragraphs should i write? Thanks P.S Apologies if i sent this twice, my original response wasn't showing up up on my screen.
Hi, I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to help. For my mocks we are doing paper 2, which focuses on global films. The films we have studied and what the questions will be on are Submarine (aesthetics) , Tsotsi (representations) and Jojo Rabbit(narrative) + Key elements of film form for all. An example essay would be great, only if you have the time of course. Do you know like a paragraph structure that would be applicable to any essay question(regardless of what it's asking), similar to the PEEL or PETAL paragraphs in English literature? How many paragraphs should i write? Thanks P.S Apologies if i sent this twice, my original response wasn't showing up up on my screen.

I think for a 15 mark question it could be a straightforward introduction, point, point, point and conclusion. If you want high marks I think you could try linking the point to show your understanding of the scene you're looking at. I think you should ask your teachers about how many paragraphs and the general structure as I'm not a teacher. I am up for helping you as best as I can with how you should go about structuring the essay. I'll send you a sample soon, but if you can get answers regarding a structure and other necessary information about the essay-then I can do an even better job of helping you.
I think for a 15 mark question it could be a straightforward introduction, point, point, point and conclusion. If you want high marks I think you could try linking the point to show your understanding of the scene you're looking at. I think you should ask your teachers about how many paragraphs and the general structure as I'm not a teacher. I am up for helping you as best as I can with how you should go about structuring the essay. I'll send you a sample soon, but if you can get answers regarding a structure and other necessary information about the essay-then I can do an even better job of helping you.

Okay, thanks. I will try and ask others about the structure.

Hi, I’m not able to get a structure as my teacher is unwell, do
you still have time to write an example essay?
Hi, I’m not able to get a structure as my teacher is unwell, do
you still have time to write an example essay?

Yeah I'll write the essay today at some point, should have it done by Monday.

Hi, I’m doing the same films as you for my mock and i just wondered how much revision you’ve done as i’m not quite sure and how much to do!
Original post by user2829290133
Hi, I’m doing the same films as you for my mock and i just wondered how much revision you’ve done as i’m not quite sure and how much to do!

Hi, it's nice to know there is someone actually doing the same films as me. I've been revising for a few weeks for around an hour a day, this week i started doing around 2. If i may ask, what essay structure and paragraph format (e.g. similar PETAL or PEEL in English Lit) have you been taught?
Yeah I'll write the essay today at some point, should have it done by Monday.

Hi, any update on the essay? It’s fine if you don’t have time, it’s just my mock is tomorrow so let me know if you have wrote it and just forgot to send it or something. Thanks so much for your help with everything.
Hey, I've been unexpectedly entangled in other activities so I haven't been able to fully write up an essay. All I will say is that if you keep in mind how the colours in the scene reflect the characters and story, then that should help. In The Big Lebowski (I don't know if you've seen it but I'll explain) The Dude's bathroom is adorned with bright pinkish features and wallpaper, and this coincides with his hippie-like ideals and his care-free personality. The henchmen who break into his house are veiled in shadow showing that they are threat to his zen, and the other hostile characters including the narcissists wear black clothing because they're very negative and don't believe in anything.

I hope what I've said gives you some insight here, but sorry for not getting a proper paper done. I didn't know your mock was imminent. Anyway, best of luck and I hope you do well in this mock, but don't worry if you don't because mocks are assessments of progress and trajectory, the real exam is the one that you should give your all too-so long as exams don't stress you out and you don't feel pressured.
Hey, I've been unexpectedly entangled in other activities so I haven't been able to fully write up an essay. All I will say is that if you keep in mind how the colours in the scene reflect the characters and story, then that should help. In The Big Lebowski (I don't know if you've seen it but I'll explain) The Dude's bathroom is adorned with bright pinkish features and wallpaper, and this coincides with his hippie-like ideals and his care-free personality. The henchmen who break into his house are veiled in shadow showing that they are threat to his zen, and the other hostile characters including the narcissists wear black clothing because they're very negative and don't believe in anything.

I hope what I've said gives you some insight here, but sorry for not getting a proper paper done. I didn't know your mock was imminent. Anyway, best of luck and I hope you do well in this mock, but don't worry if you don't because mocks are assessments of progress and trajectory, the real exam is the one that you should give your all too-so long as exams don't stress you out and you don't feel pressured.

Hi, you still helped me loads and I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hey,
I took my film GCSE last year and got a grade 9 (189/200). If you fancy a look at my papers I'm more than happy to send them to you.
Original post by jhoughton
Hey,
I took my film GCSE last year and got a grade 9 (189/200). If you fancy a look at my papers I'm more than happy to send them to you.

Hi, sorry for the late response. That would be great if you could send them to me! Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending