The Student Room Group

What can I pursue with my desired A-Level choices?

Hi! I’m currently in Year 11 going into college in September with 3 chosen A-Level subjects:
- Media Studies
- Film Studies
- Photography
I’m currently doing a Media Studies and Art GCSE, (A* Predicated in Media so I think 8 or 7, and a 7 in Art) that I believe are related to my A-Levels (also 7 in both English subjects).
I’ve always adored Media, anything to do with it. For my coursework I made a Music Video, so I believe my interest definitely lies in the film aspect hence why I’m taking Film Studies too. The potential to become a Screenwriter is exciting, or maybe even work with cameras.
Aside from that I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go into video games but unfortunately my college does not offer anything other than Media. I can’t express how much time I spend looking through things like concept art in videogames, wishing I could be in the credits someday.

What do you guys think? Am I being silly?:lovedup:
Note: I'm planning on going to University after my A-Levels too.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by johnnycagefan1
Hi! I’m currently in Year 11 going into college in September with 3 chosen A-Level subjects:
- Media Studies
- Film Studies
- Photography
I’m currently doing a Media Studies and Art GCSE, (A* Predicated in Media so I think 8 or 7, and a 7 in Art) that I believe are related to my A-Levels (also 7 in both English subjects).
I’ve always adored Media, anything to do with it. For my coursework I made a Music Video, so I believe my interest definitely lies in the film aspect hence why I’m taking Film Studies too. The potential to become a Screenwriter is exciting, or maybe even work with cameras.
Aside from that I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go into video games but unfortunately my college does not offer anything other than Media. I can’t express how much time I spend looking through things like concept art in videogames, wishing I could be in the credits someday.

Video games diploma is too narrowed and virtually useless, same with a degree in games design. I know multiple people who have studied this at university and now just work at Tesco or somewhere else you don’t need a degree for, which shows it’s slightly wasted.

If you want to go into these types of industries, I’d suggest looking to go more down the film route or media route as then you can get jobs within the filming industry or marketing sectors. I know someone currently who studied photography who is now working for nature documentaries travelling around the globe to film, another who did animation and is now working in the marketing sector, and one who’s doing film and tv productions that is planning to also become part of the camera crew. These are just a few examples, but the point i’m trying to get across is that games design is a very narrowed focus in an already oversaturated market.

To be honest with you, you’re more likely to get into a programming/game industry if you study a computer science related course as it gives you more skills tailored to more areas and not so focussed. I know someone who is currently working with the producers of the gave Eve in Iceland who has studied this.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by greentiger
Video games diploma is too narrowed and virtually useless, same with a degree in games design. I know multiple people who have studied this at university and now just work at Tesco or somewhere else you don’t need a degree for, which shows it’s slightly wasted.

If you want to go into these types of industries, I’d suggest looking to go more down the film route or media route as then you can get jobs within the filming industry or marketing sectors. I know someone currently who studied photography who is now working for nature documentaries travelling around the globe to film, another who did animation and is now working in the marketing sector, and one who’s doing film and tv productions that is planning to also become part of the camera crew. These are just a few examples, but the point i’m trying to get across is that games design is a very narrowed focus in an already oversaturated market.

To be honest with you, you’re more likely to get into a programming/game industry if you study a computer science related course as it gives you more skills tailored to more areas and not so focussed. I know someone who is currently working with the producers of the gave Eve in Iceland who has studied this.
Thank you so much, I totally get that and I think I agree. I suppose the art aspect I was talking about has always been a hobby of mine [digital art]. I definitely will be focusing more to film and media.
- Media Studies
- Film Studies
- Photography
Hi there,

Going into the video game industry is extremely competitive, not impossible, but you have to be one of the best to get any real value out of the job, and the standard games design workers generally don't get the appreciation a lot of them deserve. With that said, I believe it's important to at least try and follow your dreams. I would recommend you do lots of research in the run up to your options into the world of working in the video games industry. By picking Media and Film Studies, there are more transferable A-Levels, so you might even be able to work closely with video games companies in different departments.

Personally, I don't think it's silly, but it's good with riskier career paths like this to ensure you have multiple options and have done your research before committing.

Hope this helps!

Ethan
Original post by Yipiyap_EthanP
Hi there,
Going into the video game industry is extremely competitive, not impossible, but you have to be one of the best to get any real value out of the job, and the standard games design workers generally don't get the appreciation a lot of them deserve. With that said, I believe it's important to at least try and follow your dreams. I would recommend you do lots of research in the run up to your options into the world of working in the video games industry. By picking Media and Film Studies, there are more transferable A-Levels, so you might even be able to work closely with video games companies in different departments.
Personally, I don't think it's silly, but it's good with riskier career paths like this to ensure you have multiple options and have done your research before committing.
Hope this helps!
Ethan
Hi!
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm starting to really make my mind up about what to pursue and this was great encouragement. :blow:
Hi!
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm starting to really make my mind up about what to pursue and this was great encouragement. :blow:
Happy to help - good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending