The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

The square of 5 comes from calculating the length from the origin to the centre of the circle. That length happens to be the modulus of the regular z (the circle's centre). So we have the radius (2) and length from the origin (sqrt of 5). We can construct a right angled triangle knowing that the normal is at a right angle to the tangent.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've done every single past paper now, is it worth doing some again (ones I did a while ago) or would you recommend the review exercises in the Edexcel book?
Last few days before the exam and I'm not sure how to use them up. I've done every past paper (including all the 2015 ones, the IAL, R, Withdrawn etc.), as many of the adapted ones from the old spec as I could, and the tolerable madasmaths stuff. I'm just going through review exercises in the book now, but there seems to be nothing I haven't done.
Original post by edothero
I've done every single past paper now, is it worth doing some again (ones I did a while ago) or would you recommend the review exercises in the Edexcel book?

Review exercises are terrible in my opinion. You are better off doing all of them again, or doing some of TeeEm's booklet on particular topics.
Original post by Craig1998
Last few days before the exam and I'm not sure how to use them up. I've done every past paper (including all the 2015 ones, the IAL, R, Withdrawn etc.), as many of the adapted ones from the old spec as I could, and the tolerable madasmaths stuff. I'm just going through review exercises in the book now, but there seems to be nothing I haven't done.

Relax, guys. Just chill out, there's nothing more than needs to be done. :tongue:

If you haven't done the review exercises, I'd vouch for them. Especially rev 1 - has some really good stuff from 40 to 50.
Original post by Zacken
Nah. Just positive. Even negative is just proof by induction, BTW.

Hey, when you say just positive were you talking about the specific question in that past paper where it asked you to prove De Moivre's theorem for all positive integers? They could still ask you to prove it for negative integers as well, right?
Hi, I'm sorry if someones already asked this (I have had a quick look, no luck) but how would i find out the equation of the line?? I have the coordinates of where l touches c, but not sure where to go from there.
The question is from June 14 (R) - Thank you
Original post by lazuli
Hi, I'm sorry if someones already asked this (I have had a quick look, no luck) but how would i find out the equation of the line?? I have the coordinates of where l touches c, but not sure where to go from there.

the working is in the book
Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 20.02.03.png

How o you solve the last part, the mark scheme just stated the value of t straight away and im not sure how they came up with that value
Original post by anndz3007
the working is in the book

Which book?
I wasn't issued the regular edexcel textbook everyone seems to have :/
Original post by paradoxequation
Hey, when you say just positive were you talking about the specific question in that past paper where it asked you to prove De Moivre's theorem for all positive integers? They could still ask you to prove it for negative integers as well, right?

I don't think they would expect you to prove it for negative integers.
Original post by kkboyk
I personay find them to be better than the past paper booklet on Physics and Maths Tutor. There are quite some good questions on the 2nd order differential equation.

His question bookets are based on the A-level syllabus, and I found it quite good to build a solid knowledge for my other Maths exams (such as M1-3 and FP1).

Hey, do you mind posting a link to his relevant booklets please?
Original post by lazuli

y = r sin theta
Original post by anndz3007
Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 20.02.03.png

How o you solve the last part, the mark scheme just stated the value of t straight away and im not sure how they came up with that value

Have a look at this: https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202011%20MA%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf
Original post by Zacken
I don't think they would expect you to prove it for negative integers.

Ok thanks. Says in the spec "Students should be able toprove De Moivre’s theorem for any integer n" though. It's fairly straightforward anyway so should be no problems there.
Sorry if this is a little off topic, someone sent me this differential equation I couldn't make sense of:IMG-20160606-WA0003.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lazuli
Which book?
I wasn't issued the regular edexcel textbook everyone seems to have :/

so basically you put y= rsin theta and find dy/d theta, put it =0 and find theta . put that theta value back into the y=r sin theta equation to find the value of y, and then
the equation of the tangent will be r = y cosec theta
Original post by ImJared
The square of 5 comes from calculating the length from the origin to the centre of the circle. That length happens to be the modulus of the regular z (the circle's centre). So we have the radius (2) and length from the origin (sqrt of 5). We can construct a right angled triangle knowing that the normal is at a right angle to the tangent.

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending