The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NamelessPersona
But that means I can? I would end up with FP1, FP2, M1, M2, S2 and D2 as further maths modules?

I thought that's what you meant it was already - and that you wanted to change FROM that to something else?

I think the order you listed them in confused me! :smile:

If you put them like:

[AS Maths] - [AS Further] - [A2 Maths] - [A2 Further]

It'll be a lot clearer and I'll amend what I said :smile:

Just say what it is atm and which ones you want to swap :smile:
Original post by Craig1998
Questions 1, 3, 5 and 6 were really standard, I'd say 7 was too considering the amount of times they bring that up. Even polar coordinates was standard if you ignore the stupid arccos0.75.

Q1 was not standard. I didn't expect to have to use fp1 formulae.
Original post by jpepsred

Q1 was standard.... it's basic inequalities. It's come up plenty of times...

If you lot think your paper wasn't standard, you'd love to see the IAL paper.

Q1 was the inequalities. Q2 was the one were you used the FP1 series n(n+1)/2.
But, tbh, when doing an FP2 exam (or FP3 or whatever), knowledge of formulae used in previous modules is assumed. So whether or not you do expect it, you are expected to know it anyway.
Original post by Craig1998
Q1 was the inequalities. Q2 was the one were you used the FP1 series n(n+1)/2.
But, tbh, when doing an FP2 exam (or FP3 or whatever), knowledge of formulae used in previous modules is assumed. So whether or not you do expect it, you are expected to know it anyway.

Btw (I know you know this, but for those that don't), that's not FP1 series, that's core 1 series. 1 + ... + n is an arithmetic series. C1, guys, come on!
Original post by Zacken
Btw (I know you know this, but for those that don't), that's not FP1 series, that's core 1 series. 1 + ... + n is an arithmetic series. C1, guys, come on!

Dead
Original post by Zacken

Fair enough, we just see it referred to in FP1 series a lot more, so FP2 people would be more expected to know that wouldn't they.
Original post by Mathemagicien
People are complaining about that? :wtf:

Yeah that is quite surprising 😂The one that was really weird was in one of the past papers (can't remember which one) where you had to cross out the diagonals
I forgot how to do the de moivre's theorem question so for the next part integrating I did it interms of A B and C. How many marks would you say this would be if any?
Original post by Zacken
Q1 was standard.... it's basic inequalities. It's come up plenty of times...

If you lot think your paper wasn't standard, you'd love to see the IAL paper.

Yeah i didn't mean q1, I meant the summation q. It's supposed to be free marks. Inequality on was the only good one.

I suppose realising that you had to sum r - 3 separately was slightly non-standard, but I like to think that anyone doing FP2 either knows the sum of r from 1 to n, or can work it out.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I suppose realising that you had to sum r - 3 separately was slightly non-standard, but I like to think that anyone doing FP2 either knows the sum of r from 1 to n, or can work it out.

Or can look it up in the formula booklet! :tongue:
@Zacken

Is that wrong in question 2 in the IAL paper?
Just a quick one, I'm retaking C3 and C4 this year to try and get an A*, how does it work with regards to me also taking M2 this year? Is it a case that they could take M2 from my FM A Level (as I'm doing 4 A2 units) to bring up my grade in the normal A level? Such as if I were to get 85 in both C3 and C4 (hope not but just an example), but I got 95 in M2, could they average M2 and one of the C3/C4 to get an A* in normal?

I hope that makes sense because it doesn't to me
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Pretty sure it's a c4 integral.

The integral is not in the C4 book just like a lot of the stuff in that fp2 paper isnt in the fp2 book.
Original post by somevirtualguy
Just a quick one, I'm retaking C3 and C4 this year to try and get an A*, how does it work with regards to me also taking M2 this year? Is it a case that they could take M2 from my FM A Level (as I'm doing 4 A2 units) to bring up my grade in the normal A level? Such as if I were to get 85 in both C3 and C4 (hope not but just an example), but I got 95 in M2, could they average M2 and one of the C3/C4 to get an A* in normal?

Unfortunately not. I have confirmed this with my Maths department... I do M2 too and I asked myself this question a few weeks back
Original post by somevirtualguy

No, only C3 and C4 count towards the A*. M2 could go towards your regular maths for the 480 UMS condition or to maximise UMS.
Yeah i didn't mean q1, I meant the summation q. It's supposed to be free marks. Inequality on was the only good one.

The paper was generally really standard though. The series question and the first order d.e. questions were the only ones that required a lot more thought, literally everything else you must have encountered some variant of at some point.
Original post by sweeneyrod

Sure, under normal circumstances. Under exam conditions it's 10x harder.
Original post by hazzam
The integral is not in the C4 book just like a lot of the stuff in that fp2 paper isnt in the fp2 book.

lol at this...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending