The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Geethan
Surely the majority of the candidates found this paper unfair, one way or another. Anyone down for a petition? As in like one of those simple online ones...like from http://www.ipetitions.com/ for example. Surely Edexcel will respond in some positive way that will benefit the poor, sinful souls that sat this abominable exam?
:bricks:

You are joking right? Pathetic how you try to 'help' them by encouraging less unique questions at A-level. A-levels have become a joke just because of how repetitive questions are; doing every past paper literally guarantees you full UMS on that module.

Either way, only one part of a question was 'a bit' different - 4 b) And it should be general knowledge to every FP2 candidate that you can use cf/pi method on 1st order ODE. Otherwise, A-levels would just be monotonous memorisation of techniques.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh, the series was mental. Signed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was a STEP IV question m8. Edexcel is so replacing Siklos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2382
what do you think 45/75 will be this year in the fp2 exam?
Original post by oinkk

Yeah...there i was thinking they always came out as fractions of pi and crossed it out...
Original post by oinkk

This is gold :laugh:
I did that question 3 times, reset my calculator, then done it again. Couldn't believe it :laugh:
Original post by edothero
This is gold :laugh:
I did that question 3 times, reset my calculator, then done it again. Couldn't believe it :laugh:

hate this kind of thing
last year's fp3 was pretty much single-handedly destroyed for me by weird eigenvalues, I spent so long trying to prove myself wrong..
Anyone know if I can have this combination in edexcel further maths:
A/S FP1 FP2 S1
A2 M2 S2 D2

I will have done d1 and m1 with normal maths.
And does this mean I can average 90% over M2 S2 and D2 and get an A*
Original post by Wsswilliamoxley
Anyone know if I can have this combination in edexcel further maths:
A/S FP1 FP2 S1
A2 M2 S2 D2

I will have done d1 and m1 with normal maths.
And does this mean I can average 90% over M2 S2 and D2 and get an A*

Yeah should be fine
Do you get to choose on results day which exams to slot in where for maths and further maths or do edexcel choose for you?
Original post by Waffles15
Do you get to choose on results day which exams to slot in where for maths and further maths or do edexcel choose for you?

I think (as far as I am aware) edexcel choose the best combination of modules for you
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I think (as far as I am aware) edexcel choose the best combination of modules for you

Aah crap...so does that mean they would put all your best modules in for maths and the rest in f.maths...ie. maybe give maths far more ums than it needs for the a* and leave f.maths behind a bit
Aah crap...so does that mean they would put all your best modules in for maths and the rest in f.maths...ie. maybe give maths far more ums than it needs for the a* and leave f.maths behind a bit

They potentially could give maths more UMS than further maths, but they wouldn't do it so it affects your overall grade and they will optimise your mark in both. Anyway, remember that for A level Maths you can have M1, S1 or D1 and don't need any of the unit 2 modules, so they will most likely put all your unit 2 modules in with the a level Further Maths anyway (see http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf )

Not necessarily.
Last year my modules sat in maths was C1 C2 M1, and further maths AS modules were FP1 D1 and D2

I completely flopped D1 (63/100 UMS). If they had just kept with those combinations I'd have got an high A in maths and B in further maths.

Thankfully Edexcel decided to put D1 towards my Maths, and M1 towards further maths, so that I just about got an A in both Maths and Further Maths for AS.
(edited 7 years ago)

To clarify fully on this, they aim to maximise these things with this order of priority
Maths grade > Further Maths grade > Maths UMS > Further Maths UMS
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
To clarify fully on this, they aim to maximise these things with this order of priority
Maths grade > Further Maths grade > Maths UMS > Further Maths UMS

Don't you have more UMS in your FM than your maths? Darn C2. :tongue:
Original post by Ayman!
Don't you have more UMS in your FM than your maths? Darn C2. :tongue:

yep 87/100 in C2, 5 100s in Maths, 4 100s in FM with a 95 and a 96 in FP3 and S3. Thing is Idek how my C2 went that bad, I looked at Arsey's solutions and should have lost like 6 raw marks total but lost many more..
Original post by PhysicsIP2016

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Am I right in thinking that M3, M4, S3 etc. cannot be the applied unit for A2 Maths?
Original post by ombtom
Am I right in thinking that M3, M4, S3 etc. cannot be the applied unit for A2 Maths?

Yeah think so
Original post by ombtom

Yeah it has to be two of M1, M2, D1, D2, S1, S2 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending