The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I need to get 3 D's to get into uni and I don't think I can even do that because of this paper. They shouldn't be able to just decide that they can change the paper. Way too much to do in no time at all. Someone needs to take them to court smh.
The petition has nearly 1,500 supporters. Would it ever be taken seriously?

We all know that boundaries will drop by 3/4 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salty carpet
image.jpg
Anyone else get this for the sub integral?

wrong sorry answer was 117/224 as people have said. what you did wrong when subbing U = into it was not putting the u^1/3 so you put it as u^1 instead
Original post by fpmaniac
Do you remember what u go for the indefinite integral?

Not really
-ln3x - 1/x or something

Original post by medic1010101
Can someone explain how to integrate the x^x q? I ended up with 1.3....

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 1.51
You were just meant to estimate not actually integrate
Integral(5-x^x)=integral(5) - integral(x^x)
You had integral(5-x^x) From Simpson's and you could integrate 5 easily
Original post by aoxa
Be glad you weren't sitting the M3 exam from last week then.

This lol
Volume question on the paper(part b =7 marks). I got the intergral correct but I forgot to put pi throughout the question, how many marks will I lose from the question?
Original post by medic1010101
Can someone explain how to integrate the x^x q? I ended up with 1.3....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Re-write as e^(xlnx) and do it by parts, the question asked for an estimate though
Reply 986
Original post by BioStudentx
Nothing else to say lads apart from I'm genuinely heart-broken. After averaging 99% UMS last year, so far I've dropped around 23 marks (AT LEAST) most likely i'll get around 48. It is very very sad, but I feel for those who require A*s (for their Oxbridge offers) or those that didn't do too well at AS.

But just to end on positivity, 39/75 has been an A* in an AQA biology exam before. Just remember that before you give up.

I need an A* to get into Imperial and that exam has changed my entire perspective on how my life is headed. It's honestly ridiculous how much an hour and a half sat in an exam hall can completely wreck whatever plans you had.
Original post by Yo12345
Ok thanks. And for Q7 b) how many marks would I get for correct dy/dx (2sec^x - 3secxtanx) and factorising to secx(2secx - 3 tanx) = 0 ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll get 2 method marks for that because I think it was needed. I remember doing it.
Original post by mickel_w
I know, it's stupid. The worst thing is probably that even if I put in 50 more hours of revision than I did, I would have maybe only gained around 5 more marks. The fact is the majority of those questions simply took too long, and have never shown up in previous papers. I was consistently getting As/A*s in past papers, now I'll probably be lucky to scrape a B.

After doing the horrendous chem4 exam yesterday I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was clearly wrong. AQA have managed to completely remove any hopes of meeting my firm offer, now I'm even starting to doubt if I will get into my insurance if the rest of my exams are similar. No motivation to revise for them either, what's the point when revision clearly doesn't do ****.

I wish you luck on your other exams, and only thing we can hope for really is that they set ridiculously low grade boundaries. :/

Best of luck to you too, I hope C4 is kind to us all.
Felt some-what confident after doing the past papers; Should have learned my lesson after FP3.
I had to double-check the front of my exam paper half way through to make sure it was actually C3 I was sitting. Disgustingly more difficult than previous papers.

I'll be amazed if I scored more than 30 marks.
Reply 990
Original post by asgdgh
I got about 45 marks judging by the unofficial mark scheme. I genuinely did better in FP3 than this. Quite a pathetic examination, everyone else I know that has taken it said the same. Ah well

Hey, do you know where to get the unofficial mark scheme? Is it on here? Also, I'm in exactly the same boat, my FP4 was a walk in the park compared to this.
Reply 991
Im really upset as I tried my best as much as I could but now I dont know how to cope to do AQA Biology uNIT 4 tomorrow :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Number Nine
wrong sorry answer was 117/224 as people have said. what you did wrong when subbing U = into it was not putting the u^1/3 so you put it as u^1 instead

Nah, it was 177/224.
Original post by ashwinderk
Nah, it was 177/224.

That's what he said
Reply 994
Original post by ubiquitousking
Differentiate, find the stationary point, determine if it's a maximum or a minimum and then you sub the value back into f(x).

This will get you the peak, all outputs will be less than (or equal to) this f(x) value. Hopefully this helps.

I knew how to do it... But I panicked so much in the exam, before even starting the paper. So, so much. Even when I knew I got it right (e.g. differentiation), I told myself I didn't, usually crossing it out, starting over and only to repeat that... Sucks. :frown:

Guess I'm gonna retake.

The graph showed it was a maximum so you didn't have to prove it. You just had to find the X value and put it into equation to find y. This was probably one of the few questions I actually got
Original post by Ordo
Im really upset as I tried my best as much as I could but now I dont know how to cope to do AQA Biology uNIT 4 tomorrow :frown:

I feel so sad for people doing science exams tomorrow too D: Lord have mercy
can someone send me a paper please? uni student wanting to help ma matez
Honestly, I just needed time to think. Even though I could have probably proved the final identity and solved a few more of the difficult questions if I tried, I'd have needed a bit more time. If only the time allocation was 1h 45m to 2h. And what the ****? This paper was clearly harder than last year's yet last year's had 8 questions, and this year's had 9. Pre-2010 papers are a pisstake compared to more recent ones, and it's outrageous that the time allocation hasn't increased to accommodate for the increase in difficulty. Instead, the number of ****ing questions has increased. I feel as though I'd have achieved the same grade regardless of how much I revised. Everyone who says it was easy is either trolling, a FM student or a retaker, and even of those most found it difficult (I am a FM student myself). Talk about accessibility.

Most entry requirements for university have also remained the same, even though the papers have been getting harder. I'm just sad now because I know I'm going to lose my KCL offer for maths and physics, but I wouldn't have if I were born five years earlier. I'd have banged an A* if I took A levels in 2010, but now I'm just hoping my overall grade doesn't fall below a ****ing A, because if it does, I am ****ed.
(edited 7 years ago)
On a slightly more cheerful note, this is the most accurate Hitler reacts so far for this exam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wZDogok4Q
Inspired some of my thoughts above.
(edited 7 years ago)
Predicted Grade Boundaries:

A* - 60
A - 53
B - 47
C - 41

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending