The Student Room Group

Germany enforces bans polygamy and child marriages

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36537305

Germany will not recognise polygamy or marriages involving minors, Justice Minister Heiko Maas has said. "No-one who comes here has the right to put his cultural values or religious beliefs above our law," he told Bild. In some Islamic countries, men are allowed to take up to four wives, but in Germany polygamy is banned by law.

Concern about polygamy and underage marriage has risen recently, as Germany has been taking in record numbers of migrants, many from Muslim countries.

This must be the subjugation of Western values by Muslim immigrants that people are talking about.

[sarcasm]
"A court in the city of Bamberg recently decided that the marriage of a 15-year-old girl to a 21-year-old man, conducted under Syrian jurisdiction, could be regarded as legal in Germany."

:facepalm:
Original post by Aceadria
"A court in the city of Bamberg recently decided that the marriage of a 15-year-old girl to a 21-year-old man, conducted under Syrian jurisdiction, could be regarded as legal in Germany."

Well, that is simply the current German Law. (If you read the reasons for the judgement, the headline is way less scandalous, expecially because they said "at the moment" and because they could not find evidence the girl was in danger and nobody asked to make the marriage void.)

Concerning polygamy (referring to the original post): It actually makes sense, that a men coming to Germany, can't simply left his other wife in his home country alone, but that he can be still held accountable to care for her. So it is not the authorities turning a blind eye, it is simply to actually punish the one having two wifes and not the wife.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nathanielle
Well, that is simply the current German Law. (If you read the reasons for the judgement, the headline is way less scandalous, expecially because they said "at the moment" and because they could not find evidence the girl was in danger and nobody asked to make the marriage void.)

I don't deny that - it is still a bloody ridiculous fact.
I don't deny that - it is still a bloody ridiculous fact.

Yeah, I was surprised myself, but when I read into it, it sounded less extreme. (E.g. the court saying, it can't solve it, because a court at that level has not the power nor the qualification. [Qualification in the sense, that it is not meant to be a court for those kind of law defining decisions.])
Reply 5
I thought thias was the law in Germany in the first place
It's quite sad Germany even has to specify that marrying children or having a harem is banned.

The age of consent in Germany is 14, isn't it? A 21 year old with a 14 year old is pretty disgusting though. I'm not sure if Germany's consent laws specifies if adults aren't allowed to copulate with legal teenagers, but it should be banned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MildredMalone
It's quite sad Germany even has to specify that marrying children or having a harem is banned.

The age of consent in Germany is 14, isn't it? A 21 year old with a 14 year old is pretty disgusting though. I'm not sure if Germany's consent laws specifies if adults aren't allowed to copulate with legal teenagers, but it should be banned.

I believe you are right about the age of consent: link

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending