The Student Room Group

Germany: Marches against the far right draw over 200,000

Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets in demonstrations against far-right extremism in cities across Germany. Rallies were expected in more than 100 German cities and towns over the weekend.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-marches-against-the-far-right-draw-over-200000/a-68043524

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Talkative Toad
Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets in demonstrations against far-right extremism in cities across Germany. Rallies were expected in more than 100 German cities and towns over the weekend.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-marches-against-the-far-right-draw-over-200000/a-68043524

Surprised to see that Fascism, which had Germany in a vice grip before and during WW2, is still prevalent today albeit not quite as widespread (imo).

We could spend an entire week discussing the subject, but the way I see it is that the rise in the far right is a direct symptom of current Western policies, notably immigration. Not to say that it's bad or good, but disproportionate and thoughtless.

I do find, however, that we're too quick to conflate criticism of immigration policies to the far right. It should be an open discussion.

Also, good to see my studies in German are paying off.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Barbu
Surprised to see that Fascism, which had Germany in a vice grip before and during WW2, is still prevalent today albeit not quite as widespread (imo).

We could spend an entire week discussing the subject, but the way I see it is that the rise in the far right is a direct symptom of current Western policies, notably immigration. Not to say that it's bad or good, but disproportionate and thoughtless.

I do find, however, that we're too quick to conflate criticism of immigration policies to the far right. It should be an open discussion.

Also, good to see my studies in German are paying off.

Important to note that fascism and social conservatism are not the same thing. There is zero evidence that the AfD are fasict.
Reply 3
People have a problem with Naziism, and rightly so and Fascism while awful has just been lumped in with it even though they are separate things with separate problems.

The protests also seem to be over immigration which as Barbu said is conflated by fools with fascism but it isn’t not even by a long shot. The way Europe and in particular Germany have handle immigration was always going to cause a reaction because it was brain dead liberalism at its very worst which was at helm. Multiculturalism is worse than loose cultural homogeneity in almost every way, and I don’t know how many more examples of this we need to see before people accept the data.

I fail to see what these protests are going to accomplish. It was a few hundred thousand in a country of 10s of millions and all things they are protesting against is already illegal.

The protests were nothing but a knee jerk reaction at best and an attempt to stifle conversation and different ideas at worst. Id love to know who organised it but I would put money on them being left wing/liberal extremists who desire to snuff out what they consider wrong-think.

When one of your organiser is saying such broad things as “an active stand against the right from the entire breadth of society” which is so wrong on so many levels, id argue they are close to becoming what they claim to be against.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
Important to note that fascism and social conservatism are not the same thing. There is zero evidence that the AfD are fasict.

Agreed. PRSOM.
Reply 5
German politicians and activists having clandestine meetings to discuss deporting those who are not Volksdeutsche enough?

Far right sympathisers: nothing to see here.
Reply 6
Original post by Gazpacho.
German politicians and activists having clandestine meetings to discuss deporting those who are not Volksdeutsche enough?

Far right sympathisers: nothing to see here.

If you think either of us three who have replied so far are "far right sympathisers" then forgive me for saying, but you don’t have a clue.
There’s more information on them and their plans here apparently: https://correctiv.org/en/top-stories/2024/01/15/secret-plan-against-germany/

I personally don’t blame the people of Germany (including the Chancellor Olaf Scholz) for taking a stance and being against the AfD.

Hoping that this kind of thing doesn’t happen in France or England (the countries I am apart of).
Reply 8
Original post by Djtoodles
If you think either of us three who have replied so far are "far right sympathisers" then forgive me for saying, but you don’t have a clue.

My comments were aimed entirely at those with far right sympathisies. If you chose to go full main character syndrome and assume was aimed at yourself, so be it.

People with far right views rarely self-identify as far-right.
Reply 10

The second article is rather poor and clickbait.

Suggesting that children should not be taught inclusivity lessons in the way they are now does not mean a return to the 1930's.

I was educated before all this rubbish indoctrinated gen z and I'm not going around trying to harm the disabled or segregate them.

Germany would be better off asking why a quarter of its population are rejecting the status quo.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 11
There’s more information on them and their plans here apparently: https://correctiv.org/en/top-stories/2024/01/15/secret-plan-against-germany/

I personally don’t blame the people of Germany (including the Chancellor Olaf Scholz) for taking a stance and being against the AfD.

Hoping that this kind of thing doesn’t happen in France or England (the countries I am apart of).

Removing the unasimilated would be almost impossible legally.

There's nothing strictly wrong with returning non-citizen residents.
Original post by Rakas21
The second article is rather poor and clickbait.

Suggesting that children should not be taught inclusivity lessons in the way they are now does not mean a return to the 1930's.

I was educated before all this rubbish indoctrinated gen z and I'm not going around trying to harm the disabled or segregate them.

Germany would be better off asking why a quarter of its population are rejecting the status quo.

I think the article is more about segregating disabled people from able-bodied people in schools.

I personally think that inclusivity and tolerance should be taught in schools but I wasn’t taught many of the stuff that they teach nowadays either until sixth form.
Reply 13
Original post by Djtoodles
People have a problem with Naziism, and rightly so and Fascism while awful has just been lumped in with it even though they are separate things with separate problems.

The protests also seem to be over immigration which as Barbu said is conflated by fools with fascism but it isn’t not even by a long shot. The way Europe and in particular Germany have handle immigration was always going to cause a reaction because it was brain dead liberalism at its very worst which was at helm. Multiculturalism is worse than loose cultural homogeneity in almost every way, and I don’t know how many more examples of this we need to see before people accept the data.

I fail to see what these protests are going to accomplish. It was a few hundred thousand in a country of 10s of millions and all things they are protesting against is already illegal.

The protests were nothing but a knee jerk reaction at best and an attempt to stifle conversation and different ideas at worst. Id love to know who organised it but I would put money on them being left wing/liberal extremists who desire to snuff out what they consider wrong-think.

When one of your organiser is saying such broad things as “an active stand against the right from the entire breadth of society” which is so wrong on so many levels, id argue they are close to becoming what they claim to be against.

I even heard that the press and activists in Germany were accusing the farmers of being fascists, too. Like the Dutch and now the French, German farmers have took a stand against European policies. It's absurd.
Original post by Rakas21
Removing the unasimilated would be almost impossible legally.

There's nothing strictly wrong with returning non-citizen residents.

I mean even if it was possible legally, how do you do it, what metrics (besides ability to speak German maybe) do you use to determine whether someone is “unassimilated” or not? As in named consistent metrics that can be use on anyone and everyone that hopefully won’t be based on ethnic prejudice.

I personally don’t agree (if we’re talking about asylum seekers).
Reply 15
I mean even if it was possible legally, how do you do it, what metrics (besides ability to speak German maybe) do you use to determine whether someone is “unassimilated” or not? As in named consistent metrics that can be use on anyone and everyone that hopefully won’t be based on ethnic prejudice.

I personally don’t agree (if we’re talking about asylum seekers).

I might not put this as eloquently as other users, but I'll try my best.

In order to assimilate you need to subscribe to the principles of the host State, regardless of it's the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc... or any other State you wish to immigrate to.

My examples are Western States, but the rule applies to any country.

If I wanted to apply for the French nationality, the French State would quite rightly want me to subscribe to its fundamental principles (Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité).

It's my right to apply, but it's also France's right to decline if I don't adhere to the above.

Same should go for ALL immigration.

If you can't stand the fact that women have the right to vote, are allowed to drive, are granted as many rights as men, your immigration can and definitely should be revoked.

Furthermore, if you're unwilling to accept Liberty of Expression and Ideas, if you can't fathom why it's so important to subscribe to Democracy and question freely and openly without risk of violence and/or censorship, your immigration can and definitely should be revoked.

This is non exhaustive. I could go on, and on, and on.

Now I know quite a few people in France, who were born here, don't follow these principles, however they are french by blood and soil.

Asylum seekers can be considered part of Immigration, but it's a little different as they are fleeing war and ethnic cleansing. There are treaties protecting them (Geneva, I believe).

I'm sure I could add on to this, but I just don't have the time or the energy.
Original post by Barbu
I might not put this as eloquently as other users, but I'll try my best.

In order to assimilate you need to subscribe to the principles of the host State, regardless of it's the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc... or any other State you wish to immigrate to.

My examples are Western States, but the rule applies to any country.

If I wanted to apply for the French nationality, the French State would quite rightly want me to subscribe to its fundamental principles (Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité).

It's my right to apply, but it's also France's right to decline if I don't adhere to the above.

Same should go for ALL immigration.

If you can't stand the fact that women have the right to vote, are allowed to drive, are granted as many rights as men, your immigration can and definitely should be revoked.

Furthermore, if you're unwilling to accept Liberty of Expression and Ideas, if you can't fathom why it's so important to subscribe to Democracy and question freely and openly without risk of violence and/or censorship, your immigration can and definitely should be revoked.

This is non exhaustive. I could go on, and on, and on.

Now I know quite a few people in France, who were born here, don't follow these principles, however they are french by blood and soil.

Asylum seekers can be considered part of Immigration, but it's a little different as they are fleeing war and ethnic cleansing. There are treaties protecting them (Geneva, I believe).

I'm sure I could add on to this, but I just don't have the time or the energy.

And what about people who are native to the country but doesn’t always agree with the country’s values (I personally do agree that you should follow the customs and values of countries you visit and are apart of but that won’t always happen and I’m not a fan of going down the USA route when it comes to patriotism)? Also as you mentioned this.

There’s probably bound to be some French values/rules that I and other French people don’t 100% agree with (I won’t disobey those values but I might not agree with them) should we have our citizenship taken away then?

I personally embrace diversity (I don’t care about ethnic diversity but I’ll embrace it. I don’t care whether there’s ethnic diversity or monocultralism, not something I get worked up about unless I personally believe that there’s a bad motive behind it e.g raceswapping characters).
Reply 17
And what about people who are native to the country but doesn’t always agree with the country’s values (I personally do agree that you should follow the customs and values of countries you visit and are apart of but that won’t always happen and I’m not a fan of going down the USA route when it comes to patriotism)? Also as you mentioned this.

There’s probably bound to be some French values/rules that I and other French people don’t 100% agree with (I won’t disobey those values but I might not agree with them) should we have our citizenship taken away then?

I personally embrace diversity (I don’t care about ethnic diversity but I’ll embrace it. I don’t care whether there’s ethnic diversity or monocultralism, not something I get worked up about unless I personally believe that there’s a bad motive behind it e.g raceswapping characters).

As I said, they're "français de souche" and can't have their citizenship revoked, unless they've committed particular crimes against France.

I haven't denied that many hold appalling opinions.

If we want to live in a cohesive, running society we can't accept those that would derail it.

We go on and on and on about accepting others and who they are, yet we seem to invite the very people who don't accept.

They should all get deported too. :P

edit: Where the hell has all the funny smileys got too?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by TheStupidMoon
They should all get deported too. :P

edit: Where the hell has all the funny smileys got too?

Do you mean TSR emojis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending