The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by particlestudent
Boundaries are like 53/54 (excluding 2015) for an A* .....why?:s-smilie:

Turning points is usually higher though

There's only ever been two papers even remotely close to those boundaries (June 13 and 14), the rest are around 80% i.e. slightly higher than Unit 4's 75% A* average, just as you'd expect. (This is with Astro as the option btw)

Shame there's not that much data for Unit 5 in general though

http://prntscr.com/bj7aw7
Original post by MintyMilk
There's only ever been two papers even remotely close to those boundaries (June 13 and 14), the rest are around 80% i.e. slightly higher than Unit 4's 75% A* average, just as you'd expect. (This is with Astro as the option btw)

Shame there's not that much data for Unit 5 in general though

http://prntscr.com/bj7aw7

Look for 2012 for example...

You seem to have only done the boundaries for Astrophysics. The first section has the same boundaries of course but each optional topic seems to have it's own :biggrin:. I think Astrophysics may have the highest boundaries actually not turning points, not quite sure.

Edit: didn't see you said it's for astro. Medical ones are much lower than that :biggrin:
Astrophysics seems such a bigger unit than it actually is, quite a lot to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edit: didn't see you said it's for astro. Medical ones are much lower than that :biggrin:

So is medical harder than astro?
Reply 104
Look for 2012 for example...

You seem to have only done the boundaries for Astrophysics. The first section has the same boundaries of course but each optional topic seems to have it's own :biggrin:. I think Astrophysics may have the highest boundaries actually not turning points, not quite sure.

ffs why the astro boundaries so high :'(
So is medical harder than astro?

I don't know about astro, but honestly medical is not that bad. It is a LOT of content though. You can see the papers, they don't look too bad. But it's one of those subjects you remember like 50 pages of information, and only use like a page in the exam :biggrin:.

Out of all of them, on average, medical seems to have the lowest boundaries.
Original post by boyyo
ffs why the astro boundaries so high :'(

Not sure, is it easy? :biggrin:
Reply 107

Its not piss easy but its ok, just too much content though
Original post by boyyo
Its not piss easy but its ok, just too much content though

Ah, medical is a lot of content too, so many words :angry:

I did astronomy as an extracurricular GCSE, and it's mainly just a rehash of that with some slightly more sophisticated mathematics. There's very little combining of different topics, and you're generally only dealing with one equation per question, unlike in, say, Unit 4 where we were expected to equate multiple equations fairly often.

The chapter (only 3 chapters total) on lenses was new to me, but I guess to everyone who did triple it would just be a matter of re-learning it.

If you look at its section on the formula sheet, I'd say it's about as hard as it looks, maybe even easier
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 110
I did astronomy as an extracurricular GCSE, and it's mainly just a rehash of that with some slightly more sophisticated mathematics. There's very little combining of different topics, and you're generally only dealing with one equation per question, unlike in, say, Unit 4 where we were expected to equate multiple equations fairly often.

The chapter (only 3 chapters total) on lenses was new to me, but I guess to everyone who did triple it would just be a matter of re-learning it.

If you look at its section on the formula sheet, I'd say it's about as hard as it looks, maybe even easier

how did you find the astro bit on the 2015 paper?

It seems tricky when looking at the formula sheet and then looking at it for medical :biggrin:.

We have 5 chapters and 70 pages in total. The eye and all the types of scans are probably the longest part to this unit, the ear and biopotentials are fairly straightforward.
Hopefully the first part of Unit 5 is okay, it's not even a hard unit :s-smilie:
Original post by boyyo
how did you find the astro bit on the 2015 paper?

I think that was the first astro paper I did, thought it was pretty good generally. Seems like the main thing they change from paper to paper is just the names of the stars and planets they're referring to, so I don't think there'll be much chance of anything too out of the ordinary coming up.

I'll definitely need to find some more time to put into it in the next few days though (along with FP2 and C4)
Does anyone think Rutherford's alpha scattering experiment could be turned into a six marker? Have there been many questions on it overall?
Does anyone think Rutherford's alpha scattering experiment could be turned into a six marker? Have there been many questions on it overall?

It could be. You would just have to mention the set up and the conclusion, I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone list the definitions that we need to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
I think that was the first astro paper I did, thought it was pretty good generally. Seems like the main thing they change from paper to paper is just the names of the stars and planets they're referring to, so I don't think there'll be much chance of anything too out of the ordinary coming up.

I'll definitely need to find some more time to put into it in the next few days though (along with FP2 and C4)

yhh same, I havent touched any unit 5 since the start of the month, and I've got 2 more exams before it
For kinetic theory model, they've always asked you to explain what happens to X if volume or temperature changes, e.g. why pressure decreases when volume increases. Could they ever ask you the reverse way? I.e. why does the volume increase when the pressure decreases?
Original post by Nikhilm
For kinetic theory model, they've always asked you to explain what happens to X if volume or temperature changes, e.g. why pressure decreases when volume increases. Could they ever ask you the reverse way? I.e. why does the volume increase when the pressure decreases?

I don't think so tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have notes they could upload? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending