The Student Room Group

Is it even possible to get a U overall in any GCSE subject?

Obviously, if you miss any exams, it is.

Have you ever got a U grade at GCSE level?
It is possible even without missing exams. Simply, if you get under the boundary for an E (Higher), or G (Foundation), you will get a U. I believe the U encompasses something like the bottom 1% of all candidates.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
U is ungraded. You'll get it for not having enough marks for the lowest possible grade. That means if you're sitting higher tier, you'll get it for anything lower than a D.
Reply 3
my friend got a U

Spoiler

Loads of boys in my year actually got several U's, but that's because they didn't even try
Original post by M451
U is ungraded. You'll get it for not having enough marks for the lowest possible grade. That means if you're sitting higher tier, you'll get it for anything lower than a D.

(Edit: I stand corrected, AQA does have their lowest grade for some exams as a D.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
Isn't that only for MFLs? Most subjects have an E grade.

Nope. English and Maths with AQA also definitely have tiers.

You can get lower but if you sit a higher tier paper, the lowest grade is a D. Otherwise I think it's a G.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
No, it's under an E grade. :wink:

Have a look at grade boundaries. Higher tier papers do not go down to E. It's A*-D or a U.
Reply 8
Original post by Goaded
my friend got a U

Spoiler

Why did you stop being friends?
Original post by M451
Nope. English and Maths with AQA also definitely have tiers.

You can get lower but if you sit a higher tier paper, the lowest grade is a D. Otherwise I think it's a G.

Yeah, I just saw that AQA doesn't have an E for Higher. I stand corrected :smile: I am more used to OCR and Edexcel, which do have E grades for Higher and Foundation.

Quick Reply

Latest