The Student Room Group

Statistics, mechanics or decision?

I'm suppose to pick one of the three, but I don't really know the difference between each of them.

Can anyone explain them in details?
Original post by ColossalAtom
I'm suppose to pick one of the three, but I don't really know the difference between each of them.

Can anyone explain them in details?

Statistics - deals with data and weird equations. Probability, hypothesis testing, sample distributions, approximations, data handling, etc...

Mechanics - the most physics-y of all. Deals with forces, velocities and momentum in 2 dimensions, Newton's laws of motion and restitution, simple scenario modelling, strings, springs, tension, connected particles, projectiles, etc...

Decision - links well to computer science. Deals with algorithms to remember, graphs, shortest routes, etc...
Original post by RDKGames
Statistics - deals with data and weird equations. Probability, hypothesis testing, sample distributions, approximations, data handling, etc...

Mechanics - the most physics-y of all. Deals with forces, velocities and momentum in 2 dimensions, Newton's laws of motion and restitution, simple scenario modelling, strings, springs, tension, connected particles, projectiles, etc...

Decision - links well to computer science. Deals with algorithms to remember, graphs, shortest routes, etc...

I guess I should be doing mechanics then, since I'm doing Physics as well. Even though I don't plan to do Maths or Physics at uni.
The person above described it quite well.

I've only done Decision Mathematics 1 and Statistics 1 and 2 (AS Maths and Further Maths) and I found that D1 was probably the easiest module I did this year, although I quite liked Statistics 2 (S1 was boring).

Mechanics is generally considered to be the hardest set of applied modules in Maths by most people but if you're into Physics and feel that it plays to your strengths then you might enjoy doing mechanics more than the others.
do mechanics
Personally after having done maths a level in a year at once, Statistics was definitely the easiest module to do well in, it becomes much for theoretical and logical with lots more equations than guess work, unlike gcse maths!
I chose Mechanics. It would be illogical to not pick it, especially if I'm doing Physics as well.

Quick Reply

Latest