The Student Room Group

FM module?

Hi, can someone please explain how Further Maths A-level works? Do you choose certain modules? If so, how many?
Reply 1
Original post by subbhy
Hi, can someone please explain how Further Maths A-level works? Do you choose certain modules? If so, how many?

You have 4 modules. You have two compulsory modules which are Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 and then you choose 2 other modules: Further Pure 1 (FP1), FP2, Further Mechanics 1 (FM1), FM2, Further Statistics 1 (FS1), FS2 and Decision (D1), D2. Each has a 1 and 2 counterpart as you can see there, so 8 choices but you can't choose the second counterpart of a module without picking the first. For example, FP1 + D1 is allowed, so would FS1 + FS2. But not D1 + FS2. That's about it.
Original post by ofcmazza
You have 4 modules. You have two compulsory modules which are Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 and then you choose 2 other modules: Further Pure 1 (FP1), FP2, Further Mechanics 1 (FM1), FM2, Further Statistics 1 (FS1), FS2 and Decision (D1), D2. Each has a 1 and 2 counterpart as you can see there, so 8 choices but you can't choose the second counterpart of a module without picking the first. For example, FP1 + D1 is allowed, so would FS1 + FS2. But not D1 + FS2. That's about it.

You can sit more than two electives with Edexcel FM (I did this year - I sat FP1, FM1 and FS1), though I wouldn't recommend doing so.

It is probably best to check which exam board the OP is with first, as the structures of the further maths courses vary wildly by exam board.
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
You can sit more than two electives with Edexcel FM (I did this year - I sat FP1, FM1 and FS1), though I wouldn't recommend doing so.

It is probably best to check which exam board the OP is with first, as the structures of the further maths courses vary wildly by exam board.

Props to you fr. I was just mentioning the standard format of Edexcel A Level FM. I wasn’t aware you could take extra though, did you notify your school you were self studying another so they put you down for that? And how did it come up on ur results sheet and be distinguishable to other FM students results.
(edited 8 months ago)
Props to you fr. I was just mentioning the standard format of Edexcel A Level FM. I wasn’t aware you could take extra though, did you notify your school you were self studying another so they put you down for that? And how did it come up on ur results sheet and be distinguishable to other FM students results.

I was put down for three modules by the school.

What happens is the two better elective modules count towards your grade and the extras don’t count whatsoever, though they are a useful failsafe.

On my results sheet, it just says the element code for my further maths is 9FM0/A1 and that I had received a grade A for “Further Mathematics Option A1” (A1 is the entry code for CP1, CP2, FP1, FS1 and FM1). That’s how it distinguishes me from other candidates.
Reply 5

Great this is useful!

Quick Reply

Latest