The Student Room Group

What do you consider to be the meaning of life?

Scroll to see replies

Personally for pleasure and to make life seem worthwhile and to continue and further the human race

But there is no true "meaning"
Original post by francis_e_c
I respectfully disagree.

We're not special. There is, undoubtedly, intelligent life forms all across the universe, considering there are billions of planets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I used to think that.But this fails to take into account that the universe is big in both time and space.Just because there are a lot of planets doesnt mean there will be lots of intelligent civilisations.So there could be an intelligent civilsation somewhere in the universe but the chances are that it existed thousands of years ago and billions of light years away.Theres no reason to think that all theses intelligent races will exist simultaneously.It took us 4.5billion years to develop this far and only 10,000 years of civilisation.How long have we had technology like 100 years? It might not be that long till we die out.Thats a really small window for two civilisations that could communicate to overlap.It also fails to take into account the odds on life ever originating.We dont know exactly what it took for life to begin.Or how likely it was to occur.If the probability of life beggining in the first place was small then the likelyhood that it exists elsewhere is vastly reduced.
Original post by Robby2312
See I used to think that.But this fails to take into account that the universe is big in both time and space.Just because there are a lot of planets doesnt mean there will be lots of intelligent civilisations.So there could be an intelligent civilsation somewhere in the universe but the chances are that it existed thousands of years ago and billions of light years away.Theres no reason to think that all theses intelligent races will exist simultaneously.It took us 4.5billion years to develop this far and only 10,000 years of civilisation.How long have we had technology like 100 years? It might not be that long till we die out.Thats a really small window for two civilisations that could communicate to overlap.It also fails to take into account the odds on life ever originating.We dont know exactly what it took for life to begin.Or how likely it was to occur.If the probability of life beggining in the first place was small then the likelyhood that it exists elsewhere is vastly reduced.

You're throwing a lot of numbers and information at me, technology this, communication that - but they don't contradict what I was saying. The fact remains: there are billions of planets, and there is a VERY high chance of intelligent life existing. I can't say with 100% certainty - no one really can - but I am as close to that as possible.

And, thus, as other intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, regardless of communication or how long it took for them to evolve, or how long ago they existed/died, it still means we're not special - we're not one of a kind, in the respect of us being intelligent beings.
If you consider it from a purely evolutionary perspective, I suppose you can say that the purpose is to procreate to ensure the future survival of the species. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs points us to self-actualisation, and by extension helping others achieve self-actualisation ('transcendence').

If you define purpose/meaning to involve the larger picture of humanity as a whole, then the most meaningful things to do would be those things that make the world a better place.

It's one of those questions we sometimes find ourselves asking if we can't figure out what we're doing on this pale blue dot called Earth, which is why some find meaning through religion. We are the products of celestial machinery with sentience and the ability to feel/perceive the natural world, which should be a gift to enjoy rather than something to be anxious about.
Reply 44
The answer to the question of the meaning of life is wholly dependent on the recipient of the question. So who is entitled to this question? Fundamentally, life is the subject of the biologist, then the answer is obvious: The meaning of life is to keep on living, not only on a personal level, but on a communal level. And hence, the meaning of life is the continued survival of the species in question.
Reply 45
houmous
You're throwing a lot of numbers and information at me, technology this, communication that - but they don't contradict what I was saying. The fact remains: there are billions of planets, and there is a VERY high chance of intelligent life existing. I can't say with 100% certainty - no one really can - but I am as close to that as possible.

And, thus, as other intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, regardless of communication or how long it took for them to evolve, or how long ago they existed/died, it still means we're not special - we're not one of a kind, in the respect of us being intelligent beings.

I dont think we're one of a kind.I didnt mean to throw too many numbers at you I was just finding it hard to explain properly.I just think that intelligence might be rarer than you think.Take earth for example there were five mass extinction events.If they hadnt happened exactly as they had then humans would never have came about.So there was a good deal of luck in the development of intelligent life.If we ran the clock again then it might well have turned out differently.The point is that life itself could be very common but intelligent life may be much rarer.You're right in that we're basically just a blink of an eye in the life of the universe but I still think its pretty special that we can think about it in a way no other species can considering the huge amount of species that have ever lived on earth.
Original post by Robby2312
I dont think we're one of a kind.I didnt mean to throw too many numbers at you I was just finding it hard to explain properly.I just think that intelligence might be rarer than you think.Take earth for example there were five mass extinction events.If they hadnt happened exactly as they had then humans would never have came about.So there was a good deal of luck in the development of intelligent life.If we ran the clock again then it might well have turned out differently.The point is that life itself could be very common but intelligent life may be much rarer.You're right in that we're basically just a blink of an eye in the life of the universe but I still think its pretty special that we can think about it in a way no other species can considering the huge amount of species that have ever lived on earth.

For all we know, intelligent life forms on other planets evolved more quickly - and without the need for multiple mass extinctions. Just because it took mass extinctions for us to evolve on this planet, doesn't mean it's a rule for the formation of intelligent life as a whole.

Yes, I'm aware that is it rare. We have investigated a lot of planets and have thus far been unsuccessful in our attempt to find intelligent life. It only takes one other planet to have intelligent inhabitants - highly likely - to not make us special and unique in that sense.

You're right. I guess we just have different perceptions on what it means to be special: I meant it in terms of uniqueness, or lack of, and you meant it in terms of being divergent from other life forms already living on our planet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To enjoy life no matter how **** it may seem.
Original post by JoeyTr
The answer to the question of the meaning of life is wholly dependent on the recipient of the question. So who is entitled to this question? Fundamentally, life is the subject of the biologist, then the answer is obvious: The meaning of life is to keep on living, not only on a personal level, but on a communal level. And hence, the meaning of life is the continued survival of the species in question.

That's not meaning.

All you're basically saying is the meaning to life is to keep on existing....

..Uhh well, ok then lol
Original post by Nightmare Abyss
That's not meaning.

All you're basically saying is the meaning to life is to keep on existing....

..Uhh well, ok then lol

In a biological sense, he is right.

Remember this question is subjective and is purely based on opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Appeared from what?

...But a vial doesn't expand. :biggrin:

I mean, technically, the universe contains all matter - but you're hinting at the possibility of a multiverse, which, of course, is possible.

On another note, I fail to see how this relates back to what you/I said earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bottom line is that people think they are the crown of creation whilst their lives are meaningless. :smile:
Original post by DonnaN
The bottom line is that people think they are the crown of creation whilst their lives are meaningless. :smile:

* Most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rather_Cynical
If you consider it from a purely evolutionary perspective, I suppose you can say that the purpose is to procreate to ensure the future survival of the species.
And that is something that can only lend weight to the 'purposefulness' of life in itself, it certainly doesn't do anything for alternative. It is one of those things taken at face value too easily but in 'merely accidental and devoid of purpose emergence of life' mode there is no reason for life to be so dogged and crafty at reproducing and staying up like the Olympic flame, it didn't have to come with DNA, it didn't have to come with a reproductive command at all, it could have remained single-celled for ever, it didn't have to possess the ability to evolve, we could be here all night on the list of things taken as 'natural' without any evidence against the possibility of all that happening because it is actually meant to. Somehow and not for us to reason why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending