The Student Room Group

How to contextualise and show personal response for English Lit?

was looking through the marking scheme and saw that personal response and contexualisation was highly valued. However isn't my analysis using author's intention and techniques considered a personal response? ( if you get what i mean) Not sure how to bring these in without sounding too technical/ forced or what exactly makes a personal response... personal? (like would reading more essays help?)

currently stuck at the 18-20/25 level for my essays because my teacher says it still lacks that personal response ( which wows ppl) which garners a high A.

Doing Hamlet, Caretaker (Pinter) , St Joan (Shaw) and regeneration ( Pat barker) if it helps.
Reply 1
Original post by sleepymatcha
was looking through the marking scheme and saw that personal response and contexualisation was highly valued. However isn't my analysis using author's intention and techniques considered a personal response? ( if you get what i mean) Not sure how to bring these in without sounding too technical/ forced or what exactly makes a personal response... personal? (like would reading more essays help?)

currently stuck at the 18-20/25 level for my essays because my teacher says it still lacks that personal response ( which wows ppl) which garners a high A.Yes, I understand what you mean. Analyzing the author's intention and techniques can certainly be part of your personal response. However, a personal response goes beyond merely identifying the author's intentions and techniques; it involves your unique perspective, interpretation, and emotional engagement with the text.

Here are some tips on how to bring in a more personal response to your essays:

Emphasize your emotional reactions: Share how the text made you feel and why certain moments or characters resonated with you. Did the story evoke strong emotions like empathy, anger, or joy? Explaining your emotional responses can help make your analysis more personal.

Relate to personal experiences or beliefs: Connect the themes or events in the literary works to your own life experiences or beliefs. Have you encountered similar situations or dilemmas in your life? Do the themes reflect your values or worldview? Discussing these connections can add a personal touch to your analysis.

Express your interpretations and insights: Don't be afraid to offer your unique interpretations of the text. How do you see certain events unfolding? Do you have alternative readings of characters' motivations? Presenting your insights and original ideas can make your response more personal and engaging.

Use personal anecdotes: If relevant, you can use personal anecdotes or real-life examples to illustrate your points or support your arguments. However, be mindful that the anecdotes should enhance your analysis rather than distract from it.

Discuss how the text changed your perspective: If reading the text has changed your views or challenged your assumptions, share that with the reader. Explain how the literary work influenced your thinking and what you learned from the experience.

Write in a conversational tone: Avoid overly formal or technical language. Instead, write as if you were having a conversation with a friend about the text. This approach can make your response more approachable and personal.

Read essays and analyses by others: Reading more essays and analyses on the same literary works can help you understand how different individuals bring their personal responses to the texts. Pay attention to the elements that make these responses personal and consider how you can incorporate similar approaches into your own writing.

Remember, a personal response is not about being overly subjective or emotional. It's about offering a thoughtful and genuine engagement with the text that shows your unique perspective and understanding. Balancing your personal response with a well-grounded analysis of the author's intentions and techniques can help elevate your essays to a higher level.

Keep practicing and refining your writing skills, and don't hesitate to seek feedback from your teacher or peers. Writing is a continuous learning process, and with time and effort, you can improve your essays and reach that high A level you aspire to achieve.

Doing Hamlet, Caretaker (Pinter) , St Joan (Shaw) and regeneration ( Pat barker) if it helps.

Yes, I understand what you mean. Analyzing the author's intention and techniques can certainly be part of your personal response. However, a personal response goes beyond merely identifying the author's intentions and techniques; it involves your unique perspective, interpretation, and emotional engagement with the text.

Here are some tips on how to bring in a more personal response to your essays:

Emphasize your emotional reactions: Share how the text made you feel and why certain moments or characters resonated with you. Did the story evoke strong emotions like empathy, anger, or joy? Explaining your emotional responses can help make your analysis more personal.

Relate to personal experiences or beliefs: Connect the themes or events in the literary works to your own life experiences or beliefs. Have you encountered similar situations or dilemmas in your life? Do the themes reflect your values or worldview? Discussing these connections can add a personal touch to your analysis.

Express your interpretations and insights: Don't be afraid to offer your unique interpretations of the text. How do you see certain events unfolding? Do you have alternative readings of characters' motivations? Presenting your insights and original ideas can make your response more personal and engaging.

Use personal anecdotes: If relevant, you can use personal anecdotes or real-life examples to illustrate your points or support your arguments. However, be mindful that the anecdotes should enhance your analysis rather than distract from it.

Discuss how the text changed your perspective: If reading the text has changed your views or challenged your assumptions, share that with the reader. Explain how the literary work influenced your thinking and what you learned from the experience.

Write in a conversational tone: Avoid overly formal or technical language. Instead, write as if you were having a conversation with a friend about the text. This approach can make your response more approachable and personal.

Read essays and analyses by others: Reading more essays and analyses on the same literary works can help you understand how different individuals bring their personal responses to the texts. Pay attention to the elements that make these responses personal and consider how you can incorporate similar approaches into your own writing.

Remember, a personal response is not about being overly subjective or emotional. It's about offering a thoughtful and genuine engagement with the text that shows your unique perspective and understanding. Balancing your personal response with a well-grounded analysis of the author's intentions and techniques can help elevate your essays to a higher level.

Keep practicing and refining your writing skills, and don't hesitate to seek feedback from your teacher or peers. Writing is a continuous learning process, and with time and effort, you can improve your essays and reach that high A level you aspire to achieve.
Reply 2
Do any of you have any regeneration tips as its quite hard to analyse quotes for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending