The Student Room Group

Any tips on understanding maths??

Hello! Maths being my weakest subject, the new specification really challenges me and I just can not understand half of the things that are required when it comes to solving problems. I'm starting year 11 in September and I'm honestly so anxious because maths is like another language to me. Any tips would be sooo appreciated.
Thanks.

PS: I'm new to this.
Reply 1
For whatever you are having trouble with, don't just work through the steps or whatever, try to understand how you come to the solution. If you are doing something visual, it may help to draw it out, with graphs and stuff it definitely helps.
Idk
Original post by itsnoraa._
Hello! Maths being my weakest subject, the new specification really challenges me and I just can not understand half of the things that are required when it comes to solving problems. I'm starting year 11 in September and I'm honestly so anxious because maths is like another language to me. Any tips would be sooo appreciated.
Thanks.

PS: I'm new to this.

Ask your teachers to clarify certain things you don't understand. Get them to start explaining from ground zero and if there's something you misunderstand, tell them. They should be very clear in explaining by using topics you already understand.

For self-study, you can watch countless YouTube videos and visit various websites to get a better understanding of topics. Utilise graphing websites such as www.desmos.com/calculator by entering equations you work with. For example; if you are required to solve simultaneous equations and don't know why, you can get a better understanding by entering both equations in there and investigating what your answer actually means. Furthermore you can ask on here on the Maths forums for help too.
Reply 3
To understand maths, you have to do maths. If you don't understand a topic, watch a few videos and tutorials for that topic, and then practice questions yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Ask your teachers to clarify certain things you don't understand. Get them to start explaining from ground zero and if there's something you misunderstand, tell them. They should be very clear in explaining by using topics you already understand.

For self-study, you can watch countless YouTube videos and visit various websites to get a better understanding of topics. Utilise graphing websites such as www.desmos.com/calculator by entering equations you work with. For example; if you are required to solve simultaneous equations and don't know why, you can get a better understanding by entering both equations in there and investigating what your answer actually means. Furthermore you can ask on here on the Maths forums for help too.

Wow. Thank you so much:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest