The Student Room Group

Calculus - rates of change

Hi,

I was just wondering if the way I worked out this question is correct.

Basically I subbed in 4 into the dT/dt equation and then the answer I got from that I added it to -7. Is this correct ?

Thanks
Original post by Olive123
Hi,

I was just wondering if the way I worked out this question is correct.

Basically I subbed in 4 into the dT/dt equation and then the answer I got from that I added it to -7. Is this correct ?

Thanks

They are asking for the temperature at the end of 4 hours. Subbing 4 into dT/dt dT/dt will give you the rate at which the temperature is increasing with time.

To get back to an equation involving the temperature, what would you do to the dT/dt dT/dt equation? A hint is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Dapperblook22
They are asking for the temperature at the end of 4 hours. Subbing 4 into dT/dt dT/dt will give you the rate at which the temperature is increasing with time.

To get back to an equation involving the temperature, what would you do to the dT/dt dT/dt equation? A hint is in the spoiler.

Spoiler

So after integrating should I sub in T=-7degrees to get the constant?

Should I then use the temp equation I got from integrating and sub in t=4 to find the temp at the end of 4 hours ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Olive123
So after integrating should I sub in T=-7degrees to get the constant?

Should I then use the temp equation I got from integrating and sub in t=4 to find the temp at the end of 4 hours ?

Yes, you would sub in T = -7 and t = 0 (as the temperature is initally -7 degrees), and then use the equation you got from integrating.
Reply 4
Original post by Dapperblook22
Yes, you would sub in T = -7 and t = 0 (as the temperature is initally -7 degrees), and then use the equation you got from integrating.

Thanks a bunch :biggrin:
Reply 5
Forget the question! Look at the hyperbolas the pixels on your screen are making
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sinfire
Forget the question! Look at the hyperbolas the pixels on your screen are making

Nice observation ha
Yes as long as your units of time are correct. As T(t) is the form of the equation f(x) I.e. The function of x will produce a temperature which is proportional to e to the power of the time taken including any coefficients.

Quick Reply

Latest