The Student Room Group

Language and Technology

I'm currently doing coursework on the effect technology has on language. I was wondering what your opinions were and if you had any useful ideas?
I am doing mine on language and age and the technology comes into mine quite a lot. What I am doing for that part is getting treads off line, asking friends/relatives for one of there conversations that they texted and so on and analyzing them for things that stereotypical for that age.
Original post by Marty19
I'm currently doing coursework on the effect technology has on language. I was wondering what your opinions were and if you had any useful ideas?

You could focus on Jean Aitchenson's language theory and analogy of the crumbling castle - Language seems to be decaying because of technology. Is this a good thing or not?

I mean, one thing you could focus on is how has txt speak influenced either teenagers' spoken language i.e. people who say "LOL" aloud, rather than say "L.O.L.". Another aspect you could look at how text speak has influenced their written language in the classroom. Maybe ask your teacher is it possible to look at kids who accidentally write text acronyms or misspell words or replace Standard English in their written work with more informal, text slang?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending