The Student Room Group

Studying abroad in Czech Republic, opinions?

I’m thinking of studying abroad in Czech Republic/Czechia in Prague specifically. I’m planning on studying Computing bsc. I’m a language fanatic so I’m ok with learning it.

Is it worth it though, opinions?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m thinking of studying abroad in Czech Republic/Czechia in Prague specifically. I’m planning on studying Computing bsc. I’m a language fanatic so I’m ok with learning it.

Oh definitely! Plus Prague is amazing.

I truly believe that travelling and living life abroad is one of the most valuable experiences any young person can have. Every university out there has programmes designed to encourage their students to experience new cultures through travelling abroad. Whether it be through volunteering, working, studying, or just for fun, it all contributes to the development of your character and identity.

And particularly with a degree like Computer Science, it is very beneficial to travel and see what sort of technology and methods are being used across the world. I don’t know much about Computer Science but I do know that technology is always advancing and at at rapid rates so it is great to have a wider perspective of what is going on in different countries other than the UK.

I really hope you do choose to study abroad:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

is there any specific universities you prefer? Have u already applied to any?
Reply 3
Original post by marylollol
is there any specific universities you prefer? Have u already applied to any?

I haven’t applied for either yet but I have tried to research both. In terms of UK universities my preferences consist of three with Cardiff, Stirling, Abertay. For Czech Republic universities it is: Czech Technical University in Prague, Charles University Faculty of Mathematics and Physics (MATFYZ for short) and Masaryk university in Brn. Cardiff unviersity is my overall choice for UK and MATFYZ for Czech Republic/Czechia.

That's interesting!
Reply 5
I am from Czechia, are you going to do the course in Czech language or English? Czech ones are completely free for anyone but you usually need one or two year prep otherwise you just fail. English one might be bit pricey. At places like CTU or Matfyz there is a lot less spoon-feeding than what you might be used to.
Also, if you speak with a weird accent, no one will understand you and alone on your own you are likely to fail.
Reply 6
Original post by Damian88
I am from Czechia, are you going to do the course in Czech language or English? Czech ones are completely free for anyone but you usually need one or two year prep otherwise you just fail. English one might be bit pricey. At places like CTU or Matfyz there is a lot less spoon-feeding than what you might be used to.
Also, if you speak with a weird accent, no one will understand you and alone on your own you are likely to fail.

I’m planning on doing it in Czech, I guess it’s mostly because of it’s similar elements to my native language. I’m not too sure with accent but I think it’s mostly okay, worst case scenario is I’ll sound like a drunk with my pronunciation if it’s not studied enough 🥲
Reply 7
I’m planning on doing it in Czech, I guess it’s mostly because of it’s similar elements to my native language. I’m not too sure with accent but I think it’s mostly okay, worst case scenario is I’ll sound like a drunk with my pronunciation if it’s not studied enough 🥲

Where are you from?
Reply 8
Where are you from?

I’m from Poland originally, I know it’s not close as Slovakian language is to Czech so I apologise if I may have offended you in any way. I just included it since it may make it easier to learn generally.
Reply 9
I’m from Poland originally, I know it’s not close as Slovakian language is to Czech so I apologise if I may have offended you in any way. I just included it since it may make it easier to learn generally.

Aaaa Ok, you will be fine. Correct spelling and stuff in no big deal on technical courses. Don't go UK, it kind of fell apart here, pretty much every I knew already left 😀 Schools here are lot easier but from I think ~2022 you have to pay like £15k per year of study. None of the schools here are worth the money.
Aaaa Ok, you will be fine. Correct spelling and stuff in no big deal on technical courses. Don't go UK, it kind of fell apart here, pretty much every I knew already left 😀 Schools here are lot easier but from I think ~2022 you have to pay like £15k per year of study. None of the schools here are worth the money.

Sounds good then, I’m excited to learn it haha.
Also sounds painfully expensive then 😭 I’m in UK too currently and my friends told me how it’s hard to survive through the expenses of universities. The housing situation doesn’t help it either.
I have the same situation, many here are leaving and my Hungarian friend too is leaving the UK as soon as she finishes high school.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending