The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asklepios
Been back at uni for 3 weeks now :frown: Our new clinical years terms are from end of July to mid June

My condolences :frown:
Original post by lcsurfer
Even the science students struggled and it was dead split down the middle how people did science background or not *

Preach!

Beyond the first couple of weeks I don't think it makes a difference on GEP how much science you previously knew. It just seems to be a question of how fast you can adapt to storing and regurgitating the right things, and not going down the dark path of irrelevancy.
Original post by Asklepios
Been back at uni for 3 weeks now :frown: Our new clinical years terms are from end of July to mid June

I honestly couldnt do it. Props to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
I honestly couldnt do it. Props to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work is going to be fun for you.
Original post by Kinkerz
Work is going to be fun for you.

I meant right now (had a really rough year with personal things) as I would have gone insane without a decent break. Wouldnt really phase me though, I really enjoy the course and as long as we get some long bank holiday weekends to visit family im sure I will be fine.

The one thing im not looking forward to though is night shifts, tried those once and my body took weeks to function properly again.
Any good resources for neuroanatomy and neurology?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zed963

I used snell's clinical neuroanatomy. Quite a large book but nicely broken down so you can dip in and out with ease. Also has a clinical relevance section at the end of each chapter and questions to help consolidate.
Original post by zed963

Crossman & Neary illustrated Neuroanatomy is a good book
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Anyone know of a good pathology resource?

Used Dr Najeeb for physiology which was great I must say. (even though it took quazillion years to get through the lectures)!

Depends what you mean by 'resource'. In terms of textbooks, I love Robbins' Basic Pathology... I find it presents the important info in a clear and readable way. I hear the pathology book from the 'At a glance' series is good too but I am guessing it might not be so detailed... I haven't used it so I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Anyone know of a good pathology resource?

Used Dr Najeeb for physiology which was great I must say. (even though it took quazillion years to get through the lectures)!

Second Robbins basic pathology. Great book and goes into a good level of detail for most things (especially neoplastic and inflammatory diseases)

If you want to know more about a particular disease then honestly just Google it and you can probably find a decent review which will be more up to date than any textbook
Got an interesting e-mail from UoM the other day day about Man Met and UoSalford opening a new medical school in the North West...

Hate the idea that manchester met will be opening a medical school (and attract what sort of applicants?) and hardly addressing the problem of holding onto the doctors that are graduating here...

https://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/4560/
Original post by ameelia22
Got an interesting e-mail from UoM the other day day about Man Met and UoSalford opening a new medical school in the North West...

Hate the idea that manchester met will be opening a medical school (and attract what sort of applicants?) and hardly addressing the problem of holding onto the doctors that are graduating here...

Can't speak of MMU but as a Salford graduate I find that slightly alarming to say the least...

They're heavily involved (quite well) in physiotherapy and nursing though, so maybe there is something to contribute.
x

And again I'm incapable of unticking a checkbox! T'was me above.
Original post by MJK91
And again I'm incapable of unticking a checkbox! T'was me above.

I thought the idea was that it was the well established universities with a good reputation and lots of research opportunities that had medical schools?

I've got a similar concern like if you were to give a child a brand new plane to drive...
I thought the idea was that it was the well established universities with a good reputation and lots of research opportunities that had medical schools?

I've got a similar concern like if you were to give a child a brand new plane to drive...

To be fair, in terms of research Salford have quite a bit of biomed/pharma stuff going on at a decent level. Scale is different though of course. Reputation I feel means little -- all that serves is attraction to applicants, but if it's going to be a private venture anyway for international students, then I doubt that matters too much. Plus the UoM name will still be attached.

I'd imagine they will still graduate from UoM.

Sounding a bit snooty there.

One of the main issues I can see is about where their students will train. Surely Manchester students saturate all the hospitals and general practice surgeries around the Manchester area.
From that press release it sounds like it will mostly be aimed at internationals, so it'll probably be like the med school at UCLan.

And it looks like Plymouth has BM BS places in Clearing...

What do you mean by "Attract what sort of applicant"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
It's more concerning from 1) a training perspective, this will presumably overlap with Manchester firms? and 2) widening participation, is it purely for internationals or could be a way for home students to study medicine with lower requirements, but ££££+ requirement?
Oversubscription's just gonna get worse isn't it, with all these new schools. Or maybe Brexit will help solve that :colonhash:

Gonna end up like UBuckingham I'd imagine - just taking anyone who's willing to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending