The Student Room Group

Best College In Cambridge(for me)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
Ah my apoglogies then. In that case, it'll be nice to know which one between St John's and King's has subjectively the best parties. :biggrin: I've narrowed it to between those 2 and this might just tip it in favour of one of those. :wink:

John's social scene has a particular reputation. I have no opinion on whether it is deserved.
Original post by NeverLucky
True but King's is allegedly known to be a more relaxed college compared to some other colleges which may or may not translate to being a more "social" college. They do have the 'King's Affair' instead of a traditional May Ball after all :biggrin:

It's not only King's that has their own version of traditional May Balls. :wink:

All colleges claim they are the most friendly and relaxed college. :wink:
It just shows almost everyone grows to love their college's atmosphere & think theirs is the best college, and is a good proof it really does NOT matter which college you end up in. Even if they were pooled there from their first choice college, which does happen to some people.
Trust me. I know tens of Cambridge students over years and haven't yet met anyone who wish they were at another college. ( except for a few, light-hearted moanings about their college on minor matters). They're all passionate patriots of their college even after they left Cambridge.

And one tiny warning re location of college: being a central college doesn't always mean you'll get to live in the central location all through your course. Most (not all) of central colleges have college-owned house/accommodation away from the main site, some of them quite away from the main site.
However, on contrary to some misconception by people who haven't been to Cambridge yet, many actually prefer out-of-college accommodation/house as they often have better/more modern kitchen/bathroom, more spacious, have its own garden (in case of college house) and can be cheaper than main site accomm. Being able to live in a house just with your close friends is quite nice too. :smile:
And Cambridge is a small town. You can go almost anywhere in 10 min or so on bike. (Or within 20/30 min walk if you don't cycle)

So in short, choosing which college to apply to is something you should spend the least time on.
You'll love your college whichever you choose and also you'll never know which college you no up in anyway.
Original post by sweeneyrod
John's social scene has a particular reputation. I have no opinion on whether it is deserved.

Yes, John's does have ' a particular social' reputation......:tongue:
John's May Ball >>> King's June Event, even if we'd rather go to Oxford...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
John's May Ball >>> King's June Event, even if we'd rather go to Oxford...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason why Stephen Hawking in the film was at John's May Balls.
Was quite amused to see him (in the film) spending so much time going around on John's ground. What was he doing there???.......:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending