The Student Room Group

Being realistic - Should I apply to Cambridge for VetMed?

Right, I'm just going to get straight to it. During years 9-11, I never really focused around my GCSEs, and only really picked up on how important these grades will be until around March of year 11. I didn't really know what I wanted to study yet university wise, and got 2A*s, 8As and 3Bs. Then I went on a work experience binge during summer and was enlightened. I wanted to be a vet! And then I did more research, chose the right a-levels and all that jazz, I immediately started looking for work experience, I've got 9 weeks in total; 4 weeks SA, 1 week LA, 1 week horse husbandry, 2 weeks at a zoo, 1 week at the RVC farming taster course and 1 day visit to an animal testing lab. I've read several books around the veterinary profession. I've technically gotten 4As at AS(Maths, Bio, Chem and Chinese even though they won't look at it) and a C in Religious Studies. I was really optimistic that I could still apply, but looking around now, I've decided to be realistic. Would I really stand a chance? People who get into Cambridge all seem like people who are super confident and have gotten all A*s at GCSE. Any feedback would be appreciated, and don't hold back, I really need a reality check and don't want to waste one of my uni application choices.
Original post by christineedaley
Right, I'm just going to get straight to it. During years 9-11, I never really focused around my GCSEs, and only really picked up on how important these grades will be until around March of year 11. I didn't really know what I wanted to study yet university wise, and got 2A*s, 8As and 3Bs. Then I went on a work experience binge during summer and was enlightened. I wanted to be a vet! And then I did more research, chose the right a-levels and all that jazz, I immediately started looking for work experience, I've got 9 weeks in total; 4 weeks SA, 1 week LA, 1 week horse husbandry, 2 weeks at a zoo, 1 week at the RVC farming taster course and 1 day visit to an animal testing lab. I've read several books around the veterinary profession. I've technically gotten 4As at AS(Maths, Bio, Chem and Chinese even though they won't look at it) and a C in Religious Studies. I was really optimistic that I could still apply, but looking around now, I've decided to be realistic. Would I really stand a chance? People who get into Cambridge all seem like people who are super confident and have gotten all A*s at GCSE. Any feedback would be appreciated, and don't hold back, I really need a reality check and don't want to waste one of my uni application choices.

You certainly have the work experience and grades required to apply to vet med, although for a Cambridge application I'm not sure. However if you're prepared to revise for and sit the BMAT (as Cambridge is the only vet uni that asks for it) then a good BMAT score could make you a competitive applicant.

I've also heard that GCSE results aren't that important for vet med applications, however this could be a rumour, and possibly untrue for Cambridge who look for highly academic students.

I'd say, however, that as long as the B's aren't in Maths/English language/any of the Sciences then go ahead and apply to Cambridge, and work like mad for the BMAT if you have to!

Also, as an aside, are you eligible for any of the "gateway" courses? I'm not sure if Cambridge offer one, but RVC and Nottingham certainly do. These courses will allow lower results if you meet certain criteria - just look at their websites for more info.

Where else were you thinking of applying?

Luce :smile:
Original post by Luce Juice
You certainly have the work experience and grades required to apply to vet med, although for a Cambridge application I'm not sure. However if you're prepared to revise for and sit the BMAT (as Cambridge is the only vet uni that asks for it) then a good BMAT score could make you a competitive applicant.

I've also heard that GCSE results aren't that important for vet med applications, however this could be a rumour, and possibly untrue for Cambridge who look for highly academic students.

I'd say, however, that as long as the B's aren't in Maths/English language/any of the Sciences then go ahead and apply to Cambridge, and work like mad for the BMAT if you have to!

Also, as an aside, are you eligible for any of the "gateway" courses? I'm not sure if Cambridge offer one, but RVC and Nottingham certainly do. These courses will allow lower results if you meet certain criteria - just look at their websites for more info.

Where else were you thinking of applying?

Luce :smile:

Hi Luce,

thanks for replying! I'll definitely try my best for the BMAT, and got As in my science GCSE, so hopefully i stand a chance? thanks so much for the advice. i aim to apply to edinburgh, RVC and Nottingham. are you applying for vetmed too? :smile:

-C
Original post by christineedaley
Hi Luce,

thanks for replying! I'll definitely try my best for the BMAT, and got As in my science GCSE, so hopefully i stand a chance? thanks so much for the advice. i aim to apply to edinburgh, RVC and Nottingham. are you applying for vetmed too? :smile:

-C

No problem! :smile:

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be a competitive applicant with a good BMAT score. Make sure you put some emphasis on science too in your PS, as Cambridge would definitely be looking for this.

Yeah I'm applying to vet med too - Edinburgh, Nottingham, RVC and Bristol. Hopefully I'll be sending off my application within the next week or so!
One of the good things of applying to Cambridge is they give the majority of people an interview, at least that's how it used to be! In my Cambridge interview they did ask about work exp, but they did place a lot of emphasis on science etc rather than experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending