The Student Room Group

Trinity financial support

So Im thinking about trinity maths, but am worried about finance. I am eligible for around 7k maintenance loan, and could get 5k bursary for trin and 1k from Cambridge, but living costs is around 15k for trin (says 11k on website for accomodation then for food, it says 500 pound fee for cafeteria every year, and then around 5 pound for each meal, but I heard it's cheaper to have breakfast and one other meal). This does mean however mean that my living costs would be upwards of 11k + 5*3*9*30 (9 because 9 months) which is basically 15k. I could do tutoring, and did go Jesus college where an undergrad there said tutoring online is an option and some parents would afford to pay u 30 quid an hour, so if that was possible I could earn 2400 if I do 2 hours a week for 9 months, but still I'm short. I live in London and my parents' income is around 47k - I don't think they have much disposable income but if their income goes up, I could not be eligible for bursary anymore which screws me up further. Idk if they would be able to fund me because of living costs in London especially, and I have quite a few siblings. Any help with if these figures are realistic and what other financial support I could be eligible for?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So Im thinking about trinity maths, but am worried about finance. I am eligible for around 7k maintenance loan, and could get 5k bursary for trin and 1k from Cambridge, but living costs is around 15k for trin (says 11k on website for accomodation then for food, it says 500 pound fee for cafeteria every year, and then around 5 pound for each meal, but I heard it's cheaper to have breakfast and one other meal). This does mean however mean that my living costs would be upwards of 11k + 5*3*9*30 (9 because 9 months) which is basically 15k. I could do tutoring, and did go Jesus college where an undergrad there said tutoring online is an option and some parents would afford to pay u 30 quid an hour, so if that was possible I could earn 2400 if I do 2 hours a week for 9 months, but still I'm short. I live in London and my parents' income is around 47k - I don't think they have much disposable income but if their income goes up, I could not be eligible for bursary anymore which screws me up further. Idk if they would be able to fund me because of living costs in London especially, and I have quite a few siblings. Any help with if these figures are realistic and what other financial support I could be eligible for?

Oh wait I just forgot in my calc for living expenses it should be 11k + 5*3*9*30 + 500 * 3, with the 500*3 coming from the caf fee given yearly based on the website so 16.5 k, so I would be around 1k-1.5k short.
Reply 2
Oh wait I just forgot in my calc for living expenses it should be 11k + 5*3*9*30 + 500 * 3, with the 500*3 coming from the caf fee given yearly based on the website so 16.5 k, so I would be around 1k-1.5k short.

Bump
Reply 3
Check your info. £11k should be sufficient for food, rent and entertainment at Cambridge.

“All other costs associated with your time at Cambridge (e.g. accommodation, living expenses, and personal expenses associated with your studies) are estimated to be at least £11,020 per annum”
(edited 7 months ago)

Honestly I would suggest not applying for Trinity if you're applying to maths simply because they are so incredibly oversubscribed for that subject, that every year lots of students with top grades across the board aren't even interviewed (and absolutely would have been interviewed at least at another college) due to the competition. And if you don't get interviewed, you cannot be pooled, and lose the benefit of the system which helps avoid you being squeezed out by competition by applying to a more popular college.

Also worth bearing in mind, you almost certainly will end up having supervisions in other colleges in the end, and all other teaching is organised centrally by the department. There is no special quality to Trinity maths compared to other colleges any more - it's a purely historical association which unfortunately people still believe means they have some special status/benefit from doing maths at Trinity specifically.

That aside, I would note from what I've heard it's extremely competitive to get into tutoring in Cambridge, because every student there is aiming to do it and they all had excellent grade backgrounds and are going to Cambridge (except those going to ARU but the subjects offered by each uni are a bit different in most cases). I would not expect to be paid £30 an hour tutoring in Cambridge - as due to the competition the only way you're going to get tutees is by offering cheaper services realistically.

However your maths is dubious. You will not be in college for 9 months of the year. In fact Cambridge is famous for having shorter terms - you have 3x 8 week terms and are normally expected to move out between terms. So you may be overestimating your costs anyway. That said I would still recommend applying to literally any other college (perhaps ruling out St Johns also for the similar situation, albeit not quite as pressing, for Maths as at Trinity) just to maximise your chances of actually getting an interview and hence an offer. You can then also look at potentially more economical colleges anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Sheppi
Check your info. £11k should be sufficient for food, rent and entertainment at Cambridge.

“All other costs associated with your time at Cambridge (e.g. accommodation, living expenses, and personal expenses associated with your studies) are estimated to be at least £11,020 per annum”

Doesn't this suggest that apart from food costs will be 11k?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly I would suggest not applying for Trinity if you're applying to maths simply because they are so incredibly oversubscribed for that subject, that every year lots of students with top grades across the board aren't even interviewed (and absolutely would have been interviewed at least at another college) due to the competition. And if you don't get interviewed, you cannot be pooled, and lose the benefit of the system which helps avoid you being squeezed out by competition by applying to a more popular college.

Also worth bearing in mind, you almost certainly will end up having supervisions in other colleges in the end, and all other teaching is organised centrally by the department. There is no special quality to Trinity maths compared to other colleges any more - it's a purely historical association which unfortunately people still believe means they have some special status/benefit from doing maths at Trinity specifically.

That aside, I would note from what I've heard it's extremely competitive to get into tutoring in Cambridge, because every student there is aiming to do it and they all had excellent grade backgrounds and are going to Cambridge (except those going to ARU but the subjects offered by each uni are a bit different in most cases). I would not expect to be paid £30 an hour tutoring in Cambridge - as due to the competition the only way you're going to get tutees is by offering cheaper services realistically.

However your maths is dubious. You will not be in college for 9 months of the year. In fact Cambridge is famous for having shorter terms - you have 3x 8 week terms and are normally expected to move out between terms. So you may be overestimating your costs anyway. That said I would still recommend applying to literally any other college (perhaps ruling out St Johns also for the similar situation, albeit not quite as pressing, for Maths as at Trinity) just to maximise your chances of actually getting an interview and hence an offer. You can then also look at potentially more economical colleges anyway.

'The amount you'll need each year will depend on how long you're living in Cambridge. Most students will only be in Cambridge during term time (approximately 9 months) so you should need around £10,950' - doesn't this suggest that you are paying for 9 months worth of rent. This is from camb website for living costs.
'The amount you'll need each year will depend on how long you're living in Cambridge. Most students will only be in Cambridge during term time (approximately 9 months) so you should need around £10,950' - doesn't this suggest that you are paying for 9 months worth of rent. This is from camb website for living costs.

I'm not really sure where they're getting 9 months from - you have the long vacation over the summer (~14 weeks I guess), and spring and winter vacations are ~6 weeks apiece. Unless you're expecting to be in Cambridge over the summer (in which case you won't be in college accommodation anyway) I don't know how you could be spending 9 months a year in Cambridge as an undergrad ordinarily?

You can see the term dates here: https://www.cam.ac.uk/about-the-university/term-dates-and-calendars

Most colleges do not allow you to remain in college outside of term anyway (where they do it's usually charged at a per day rate and you only get a certain number of days each year - usually finalists have some extra days allotted I think).

Also I note that quoted text says "approximately", which might be doing a lot of work in the sentence. The reality is I think you're probably only going to be in Cambridge about 6-8 months at most as an undergrad per academic year.
Reply 8
Link to Trinity website:

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/

Rent is £3,420 - £5,100 for Trinity - a lot more affordable than most universities. The £11,000 is an estimate of total cost - obviously it could be more or less depending on your lifestyle.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sheppi
Link to Trinity website:

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/

Rent is £3,420 - £5,100 for Trinity - a lot more affordable than most universities. The £11,000 is an estimate of total cost - obviously it could be more or less depending on your lifestyle.

'For catering, there is an annual fixed kitchen charge of £573 plus a cash payment for individual meals: £4.30 for breakfast, £4.85 for a two-course lunch and £5.50 for a three-course dinner (2022-23 prices). All other costs associated with your time at Cambridge (e.g. accommodation, living expenses, and personal expenses associated with your studies) are estimated to be at least £11,020 per annum, though this will depend on your lifestyle choices and will rise with inflation.'

This is under catering - it talks about food in the first sentence then says 'all other costs' in the proceeding sentence - doesn't that imply that the costs without food are 11k or is the site misleading?
Reply 10
Sorry but I think it is very, very clear what it means.

If you don’t believe me see below.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/fees-and-finance/living-costs
(edited 7 months ago)
Imo, trinity overestimate.

For starters, you do not have to eat the catered food. You can make your own breakfast and suddenly you've saved quite a lot of money. Same with lunch- especially if you will be in lectures at that time anyway, you can make a sandwich or salad or something else even if you do not have good self-catering facilities.

Your rent will be between £136-£170 a week for 30 weeks, and you can choose the price band. So assume you are paying £145, that's £4350 in rent, plus £573 fixed kitchen chard. That's under 5k and it's very doable to not spend upwards of 6k on food, drinks and everything else. There's a £75 book fund, a £50 sports fund, plus subject awards/prizes you can apply to. Plus you may be able to pick up holiday work or work for the college at times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending