The Student Room Group

Someone tell me cambridge is impossible for me

Hi all, I am set to go to Uni of Birmingham for law this September, after a successful application. I love UoB, it is a great uni, nice campus, nearby, good reputation (good enough for law firms) etc....

My issue is my teachers underestimated the grades I'd get - I was predicted AAA, and I got A*A*A in Economics, Business and Media.

After asking which unis I could get into on TSR, someone said Cambridge was a possibility, and honestly I still don't believe it.

But after seeing a tiktok from someone who's going this september who got the same grades and similar subjects - it reignited that same feeling of "what if".

I got those grades, haven't taken an LNAT but I'm sure I could do at least average, but got 8777766665 in GCSE - 7s in English (which I know is sub-standard - along with the subjects I took for A-Levels).

Someone hit me with a dosage of reality and tell me Cambridge law or any Cambridge course is an impossibility for me lol, the thought that I could take a gap year and get into CAMBRIDGE (my dream) is literally killing me. In fact I'm typing this drunk and sad - thats how dire the situation is

Thanks!
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

It’s possible, but nevertheless you aren’t guaranteed an offer. So, it depends on if you want to take the risk, really.
Original post by vapordave
It’s possible, but nevertheless you aren’t guaranteed an offer. So, it depends on if you want to take the risk, really.

Oh jesus :frown: If I were to take a gap year - what should I do to maximise my chances of getting in? Internships? (Along with really grinding for the LNAT)?

I wanted someone to tell me it wasn't possible, so I hate you for saying this, but I love you for being honest.

Also, can you specify how possible? You're influencing a year of my life here, so speak carefully
(edited 8 months ago)
Going to Cambridge Uni is impossible if you have never applied to Cambridge Uni. :tongue:
You're welcome. :biggrin:

If you are in the habit of posting to websites whilst very drunk and there is an above average chance that you may not remember what you have written after the hangover is gone- please don't login to any social media accounts where you have a large following or your profile is public. :eek:
Particularly not twitter or tiktok. :yikes:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Going to Cambridge Uni is impossible if you have never applied to Cambridge Uni. :tongue:
You're welcome. :biggrin:

If you are in the habit of posting to websites whilst very drunk and there is an aobove average chance that you may not remember what you have written after the hangover is gone- please don't login to any social media accounts where you have a large following or your profile is public. :eek:
Particularly not twitter or tiktok. :yikes:

I'm not fully drunk don't worry lol. The question is whether applying is worth it in my position.

But thanks for your wise words
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all, I am set to go to Uni of Birmingham for law this September, after a successful application. I love UoB, it is a great uni, nice campus, nearby, good reputation (good enough for law firms) etc....

My issue is my teachers underestimated the grades I'd get - I was predicted AAA, and I got A*A*A in Economics, Business and Media.

After asking which unis I could get into on TSR, someone said Cambridge was a possibility, and honestly I still don't believe it.

But after seeing a tiktok from someone who's going this september who got the same grades and similar subjects - it reignited that same feeling of "what if".

I got those grades, haven't taken an LNAT but I'm sure I could do at least average, but got 8777766665 in GCSE - 7s in English (which I know is sub-standard - along with the subjects I took for A-Levels).

Someone hit me with a dosage of reality and tell me Cambridge law or any Cambridge course is an impossibility for me lol, the thought that I could take a gap year and get into CAMBRIDGE (my dream) is literally killing me. In fact I'm typing this drunk and sad - thats how dire the situation is

Thanks!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ......
Original post by sailhorsegirl
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ......

But I don't lose everything if my application is unsuccessful and I get into maybe Notts or UoB again next year - at worst I end up at UoB again with a year out - is this the case? Can I reapply to same course, same uni?

Thanks for the comment though, need as many as I can get
Reply 7
Have you taken a look at this page? https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/before/choosing-high-school-subjects

Both business and media studies are listed as less helpful a level subjects.
Reply 8

Thanks!

With AAA predictions you would have had zero chance of getting in. Taking a gap year is not worth it, as you will probably not get in next year, and you would have wasted a year for nothing, and you would have given up a great place at Birmingham. It was not meant to be. Move on.
Original post by lalexm
With AAA predictions you would have had zero chance of getting in. Taking a gap year is not worth it, as you will probably not get in next year, and you would have wasted a year for nothing, and you would have given up a great place at Birmingham. It was not meant to be. Move on.

I got A*A*A this year, my predicted grades mean nothing anymore.
Original post by tl2023
Have you taken a look at this page? https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/before/choosing-high-school-subjects

Both business and media studies are listed as less helpful a level subjects.

Thank you! Seriously saved me some pain. Although some tiktoker got in with Business, and same grades, I guess Cambridge is an impossibility. Tbf it has only been a hope for a few days, I never expected to even hope of getting into oxbridge
Reply 11
I got A*A*A this year, my predicted grades mean nothing anymore.

Yes, I meant your predictions were too low so you should have no regrets about no applying for this year. Like I said, personally I don’t think it is worth taking a gap year and apply for next year as you will probably not get in. The vast majority don’t get in, even those with outstanding grades.
Original post by lalexm
Yes, I meant your predictions were too low so you should have no regrets about no applying for this year. Like I said, personally I don’t think it is worth taking a gap year and apply for next year as you will probably not get in. The vast majority don’t get in, even those with outstanding grades.

Ok yeah thats true, thanks
Oh jesus :frown: If I were to take a gap year - what should I do to maximise my chances of getting in? Internships? (Along with really grinding for the LNAT)?

I wanted someone to tell me it wasn't possible, so I hate you for saying this, but I love you for being honest.

Also, can you specify how possible? You're influencing a year of my life here, so speak carefully

The LNAT is obviously incredibly important, but aside from that Oxbridge like to see academic passion and wider reading, which you can demonstrate mostly in your interview. You'd also need to do something useful in your gap year so aside from reading, internships might be a good idea.

By possible, I mean you are pretty much on a level playing field with someone applying in Year 13, and even better, you have achieved grades which look better than equivalent predicteds.

It's up to you, really. Would you be happy to end up back at Birmingham, or somewhere else that's not Cambridge, come 2024?
Reply 14
Ok yeah thats true, thanks

Plus with 2 out of 3 of you subjects being classed as “less helpful” by Cambridge, you chances of getting in will be very low. Really not worth taking a gap year.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by lalexm
Plus with 2 out of 3 of you subjects being classed as “less helpful” by Cambridge, you chances of getting in will be very low. Really not worth taking a gap year.

Yeah just saw that, humbled me really quickly - I was so stupid to take those subjects, I hated both as well. Oh well, I can work towards getting an LLM at Cambridge now! Thanks for the advice!
I don’t think it’s wise to be fielding advice about your academic future whilst drinking. Come back with a clear head.

Any application to Cambs is unlikely from a statistical POV. Grades are only one aspect.
Original post by Admit-One
I don’t think it’s wise to be fielding advice about your academic future whilst drinking. Come back with a clear head.

Any application to Cambs is unlikely from a statistical POV. Grades are only one aspect.

True, but its just a release of all thats occupied my mind for a few days. Thanks for the realism, my grades were probably my strong point, I mean I'd be poor in an interview if I even got to that stage anyway, thanks!
Original post by vapordave
The LNAT is obviously incredibly important, but aside from that Oxbridge like to see academic passion and wider reading, which you can demonstrate mostly in your interview. You'd also need to do something useful in your gap year so aside from reading, internships might be a good idea.

By possible, I mean you are pretty much on a level playing field with someone applying in Year 13, and even better, you have achieved grades which look better than equivalent predicteds.

It's up to you, really. Would you be happy to end up back at Birmingham, or somewhere else that's not Cambridge, come 2024?

I decided to take a gap year in the end, because of a lot of reasons - it was definitely the right decision. But Cambridge really wasn't in mind when making the decision.

It's just now crossed my mind so I've come back here - the deadline is 15th of October and I'll have to study for the LNAT for just 3 weeks (although I have nothing else to do), so really, I don't think it's worth it - I'm not sure, my chances were extremely slim anyway.

What do you think? Most likely lose a spot in my application for Cambridge? Or use the extra space for a more realistic aspirational university?
Reply 19
I decided to take a gap year in the end, because of a lot of reasons - it was definitely the right decision. But Cambridge really wasn't in mind when making the decision.

It's just now crossed my mind so I've come back here - the deadline is 15th of October and I'll have to study for the LNAT for just 3 weeks (although I have nothing else to do), so really, I don't think it's worth it - I'm not sure, my chances were extremely slim anyway.

What do you think? Most likely lose a spot in my application for Cambridge? Or use the extra space for a more realistic aspirational university?

As you have decided to take a gap year, I would recommend going for it. You have nothing to lose, other than 1 or your 5 choices, but with your grades and a couple of safer choices, you will be fine. You might as well try, to avoid any regrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending