The Student Room Group

Help on this moments question?

image.jpg
Can someone tell me how you're supposed to find the moment about A? The answer's supposed to be 9.39 N in the clockwise direction but I can't get that
Original post by selenacxoxo

Can someone tell me how you're supposed to find the moment about A? The answer's supposed to be 9.39 N in the clockwise direction but I can't get that

Perpendicular distance * Force

Clockwise M(A):4.61.9+2.15.2M(A): 4.6 \cdot 1.9 + 2.1\cdot 5.2

Anticlockwise M(A):1.37.9M(A): 1.3 \cdot 7.9

Find the resultant moment.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames

Thank youuuuuuuu but can I ask why you'd calculate the moment of the 5.2N and 7.9N forces? I thought they were acting parallel to A?
Thank youuuuuuuu but can I ask why you'd calculate the moment of the 5.2N and 7.9N forces? I thought they were acting parallel to A?

They are, and they have an effect on A. What about them?
Reply 4
They are, and they have an effect on A. What about them?

Ohhhh never mind I was just confused
Ohhhh never mind I was just confused

The only forces you can ignore are those acting from A, so like the 6.4N, if that's what you're asking. :smile:

How do you know that the 7.9N force is anticlockwise but the 5.2 force is clockwise?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
How do you know that the 7.9N force is anticlockwise but the 5.2 force is clockwise?

Observation. Imagine yourself having this contraption of whatever. Put one finger on A, and apply forces with the other hand on their respective positions. In which direction do you think will the contraption turn?? That's how I do it anyway, I'm quite visual with this stuff. :smile:
Observation. Imagine yourself having this contraption of whatever. Put one finger on A, and apply forces with the other hand on their respective positions. In which direction do you think will the contraption turn?? That's how I do it anyway, I'm quite visual with this stuff. :smile:

Ah okay thanks that really helps.
Down forces turn downwards and in this case is anticlockwise and vice versa for the up force!
Thanks, dude. :smile:
Reply 9
The only forces you can ignore are those acting from A, so like the 6.4N, if that's what you're asking. :smile:

Yeah I think I get it now, thanks for the help 😊

Quick Reply

Latest