The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
I'm pretty sure it'd count, regardless of whether it's Core, Additional or Further Additional/Extension.

My physics teacher said that if you do unit 3 sciences the controlled assessments have to be either unit 2 or unit 3
Original post by Itsemziexoxo
My physics teacher said that if you do unit 3 sciences the controlled assessments have to be either unit 2 or unit 3

Thats correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone doing edexcel maths higher got a topic list as I have mocks in November and I need to know what to revise as I have lost my book and maths is my weakest subject (keep getting 4's and 5's)
Original post by ChallengeLover

Other subjects I can take in year 11 as well (dunno why I couldn't start them in year 10):
Stats
Further Maths
Latin (Spanish teacher(she teaches Latin as well) thinks I can do it but I think she overestimates me.)
Urdu (my mother tongue but I don't think I can take the workload)
French (French teacher is head of languages and wants me to do it but I know no French)
German (German teacher loves me for some reason and tried to enter me for next year without me knowing and i know no German.)
History (Urgh no chance here)
Arabic (Teacher wants me to do it because my cousin got an A*in it a few years ago but i have no shot of getting a good grade here)
Panjabi (my dad speaks it and so do I so the urdu teacher is urging me to choose urdu and or panjabi)
Italian/Portugese( Teachers urging me to do languages similar to Spanish)

Probably won't take any of them tbh except for Portuguese. It is Spanish with a few alterations.

its so great that your school does so many languages! my school only does three and i cant do any of them because im doing triple sci and its not allowed in my school :unimpressed: which is so?????? stupid??? either way tho it seems like youve got a lot of sh*t to get through
Original post by samaad1
Has anyone doing edexcel maths higher got a topic list as I have mocks in November and I need to know what to revise as I have lost my book and maths is my weakest subject (keep getting 4's and 5's)

Download/ print off the spec from the edexcel site :smile:
Original post by pinkypaz123
Download/ print off the spec from the edexcel site :smile:

@samaad1 To add onto this, there are also sample test papers on the Edexcel website too. There are some privated (ie. password-locked) sets that I have on hand, if you're interested in them.
Reply 826
Hi, everybody. It's been roughly 5 weeks into Year 11 and how is everybody doing? Good or bad? Share with the rest of us below. Also has anyone been looking around for sixth forms and if not why not? Finally keep up the hard work, it will pay off come Summer 2017 when we open our brown envelopes. :biggrin:

JTran38
Original post by JTran38
Hi, everybody. It's been roughly 5 weeks into Year 11 and how is everybody doing? Good or bad? Share with the rest of us below. Also has anyone been looking around for sixth forms and if not why not? Finally keep up the hard work, it will pay off come Summer 2017 when we open our brown envelopes. :biggrin:

JTran38

It's going alright for me, Spanish is stressing me because I can't seem to do listening papers. I've hit a block with sixth forms I just don't know where I want to go because I don't want to travel too far because it's less stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
Original post by Simonexoxo
It's going alright for me, Spanish is stressing me because I can't seem to do listening papers. I've hit a block with sixth forms I just don't know where I want to go because I don't want to travel too far because it's less stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing ok-ish I guess, I have a mock exam due in November of which I need to do well as that's what I'll send off to the sixth forms/colleges as my predicted grades when I apply. Sixth forms for me are also stressful, I only have 3 in mind and still have one more open evening to attend in November.
Original post by JTran38
I'm doing ok-ish I guess, I have a mock exam due in November of which I need to do well as that's what I'll send off to the sixth forms/colleges as my predicted grades when I apply. Sixth forms for me are also stressful, I only have 3 in mind and still have one more open evening to attend in November.

Well good luck with your mocks because they're coming up soon, mine start the week commencing the 5th of December so I'm trying to start revising just so it's not so much stress as well because . Do you know what A levels you want to do, I think you told me before but I forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTran38

JTran38

I'm just going to stay in my school sixth form. It's a really good school.
Reply 831
Original post by Simonexoxo
Well good luck with your mocks because they're coming up soon, mine start the week commencing the 5th of December so I'm trying to start revising just so it's not so much stress as well because . Do you know what A levels you want to do, I think you told me before but I forgot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Government & Politics, Economics, Maths. If I had to pick four, then it would be French and I'll make a decision about which one to drop or if my grades are good to continue all 4.
Reply 832
Original post by BobBobson
I'm just going to stay in my school sixth form. It's a really good school.

Good for you whereas I'm looking to move depending on my grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JTran38

JTran38

It's going alright so far - although I can feel the stress creeping up on me... I just got my Spanish speaking CA marks back though - full marks!! :smile:

As to sixth form, I'm fairly sure I want to move to the boys' grammar sixth form in the same town as my current school (it accepts girls in the sixth form) - although it's going to be super competitive to get in, plus they have entrance exams :frown: what about you?
Reply 834
Original post by tolulah
It's going alright so far - although I can feel the stress creeping up on me... I just got my Spanish speaking CA marks back though - full marks!! :smile:

As to sixth form, I'm fairly sure I want to move to the boys' grammar sixth form in the same town as my current school (it accepts girls in the sixth form) - although it's going to be super competitive to get in, plus they have entrance exams :frown: what about you?

Congratulations on getting predicted full marks for your Spanish Speaking exam, I have my French Speaking CA very soon and I hope I can get near to full marks as possible. :biggrin: I can relate to the stress, it's been very hectic and I suppose it will remain that way.

In terms of sixth forms, I really want to attend a really good local comprehensive that has the best A Level results in my results and arguably is the best school in my borough and @Kaira1up will know what I'm talking about. I've visited that school on Thursday and I had a chance to speak to the students/staff and they were very informative and friendly and you do get the "positive vibe" unlike my bloody school which feels like some military.
Original post by JTran38
Congratulations on getting predicted full marks for your Spanish Speaking exam, I have my French Speaking CA very soon and I hope I can get near to full marks as possible. :biggrin: I can relate to the stress, it's been very hectic and I suppose it will remain that way.

In terms of sixth forms, I really want to attend a really good local comprehensive that has the best A Level results in my results and arguably is the best school in my borough and @Kaira1up will know what I'm talking about. I've visited that school on Thursday and I had a chance to speak to the students/staff and they were very informative and friendly and you do get the "positive vibe" unlike my bloody school which feels like some military.

Aha - it feels like my school is becoming more like a prison every day (not to mention the fact they've almost doubled the number of year 7s)! I haven't visited any schools yet, but I have some open evenings lined up for November.

I feel like the sixth form I want to go to will be a positive change - but it won't be totally new, as I'll know like 3/4 of the people there and get the same bus etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTran38

JTran38

Year 11 is going okay, actually. Yesterday I did a maths paper and I'm pretty sure I didn't mess it up too horribly, which is a positive, but we'll see when I get the results back! I'm lacking inspiration for revision for the sciences though- has anyone got any fun revision methods that they want to share?

For sixth forms, I'm hopefully moving to a new one. The one I want to go to has got a fantastic reputation and I can't wait to visit. However, it's quite far away, and if I get in I won't know anyone there, so I'm a little apprehensive about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTran38

JTran38

Hey, Year 11's been okay for me so far. I'm predicted to get all C's, but if I'm honest, I don't believe a C is my true ability. I only think C is my predicted grade because I've been lazy these past few years. Admittedly, I was also lazy in Year 10, hence why I got a C in Core Science overall. Yes, I was a bit gutted with that, because I knew I should've tried harder...however, at the same time, I felt like I flunked 2/3 of the exams last May, so to find out I passed overall was a relief. I actually had a C, D and B imdividually, just like the mock outcome! I suppose the only thing I can do now is to just knuckle down and actually do some revision! Otherwise, all my GCSE results will be C's if I carry on! I want to prove the teachers wrong and show them that I can exceed my global grade.

I'm sitting 15 exams this year. Admittedly, one of them is a re-sit: The Role/Status of Women, the History module I sat in Year 10. I had a D...4 marks off a C. Oops. I'm just grateful for the fact I've been given the opportunity to re-sit. I'm not going to waste it.

Overall, I'm aiming for A's and B's in my GCSEs. I haven't been looking for sixth forms because I'm happy to stay on at my school. I don't think my school is the best if I'm honest, but I feel they do have a pretty decent sixth form because it's full of people who actually want to learn! Sure, I'm fine for having a laugh myself, but sometimes I just need to knuckle down and stop being lazy like my classmates. I know you didn't ask this, but I'm aspiring to go into forensic pathology. It's a lengthy procedure because you apparently have to go to medical school first...but I'm aware you have to make sacrifices to get the stuff you want. I'm trying not tp be lazy this year. My life is depending on this one crucial year, so I'm prepared for the hard work that's about to hit me in the forthcoming years.

Good luck everyone else! I hope you all reach your target grades at the bare minimum! I said 'bare minimum' because you should all be aiming for your desired grades, not your predicted ones. I know you can all do it. You're clearly dedicated students. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 838
Original post by Just Some Person
Hey, Year 11's been okay for me so far. I'm predicted to get all C's, but if I'm honest, I don't believe a C is my true ability. I only think C is my predicted grade because I've been lazy these past few years. Admittedly, I was also lazy in Year 10, hence why I got a C in Core Science overall. Yes, I was a bit gutted with that, because I knew I should've tried harder...however, at the same time, I felt like I flunked 2/3 of the exams last May, so to find out I passed overall was a relief. I actually had a C, D and B imdividually, just like the mock outcome! I suppose the only thing I can do now is to just knuckle down and actually do some revision! Otherwise, all my GCSE results will be C's if I carry on! I want to prove the teachers wrong and show them that I can exceed my global grade.

I'm sitting 15 exams this year. Admittedly, one of them is a re-sit: The Role/Status of Women, the History module I sat in Year 10. I had a D...4 marks off a C. Oops. I'm just grateful for the fact I've been given the opportunity to re-sit. I'm not going to waste it.

Overall, I'm aiming for A's and B's in my GCSEs. I haven't been looking for sixth forms because I'm happy to stay on at my school. I don't think my school is the best if I'm honest, but I feel they do have a pretty decent sixth form because it's full of people who actually want to learn! Sure, I'm fine for having a laugh myself, but sometimes I just need to knuckle down and stop being lazy like my classmates. I know you didn't ask this, but I'm aspiring to go into forensic pathology. It's a lengthy procedure because you apparently have to go to medical school first...but I'm aware you have to make sacrifices to get the stuff you want. I'm trying not tp be lazy this year. My life is depending on this one crucial year, so I'm prepared for the hard work that's about to hit me in the forthcoming years.

Good luck everyone else! I hope you all reach your target grades at the bare minimum! I said 'bare minimum' because you should all be aiming for your desired grades, not your predicted ones. I know you can all do it. You're clearly dedicated students. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch, I guess that just makes me realise how better off I am as I was wondering about my grades from last year but without intending to be rude, I think everybody is capable of getting the desired grades if you put your mind to it and work for them. I'll be open and say from my EoY results last year, I got Cs/Bs which aren't great but since then I have worked my socks off and hopefully that pays off come May next year.

In terms of predicted grades, I guess mine have been altered accordingly based on what I got in my last assessment hence why I'm oddly predicted a Grade B when I'm meant to be predicted As.
Original post by JTran38
Ouch, I guess that just makes me realise how better off I am as I was wondering about my grades from last year but without intending to be rude, I think everybody is capable of getting the desired grades if you put your mind to it and work for them. I'll be open and say from my EoY results last year, I got Cs/Bs which aren't great but since then I have worked my socks off and hopefully that pays off come May next year.

In terms of predicted grades, I guess mine have been altered accordingly based on what I got in my last assessment hence why I'm oddly predicted a Grade B when I'm meant to be predicted As.

In my EOY, I got 7 A*, 2A and a C. And tbh, I was pretty pissed off about that C. Everything's relative. We all want to do better and we all need to work hard. And for everyone it's the same thing: If we don't work hard, we won't be happy when we get the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest