The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2017 Durham University Foundation Year Hopefuls

Any other fellow Foundation Year Applicants for the 2017/18 academic year? What degree are you applying for and what college do you hope to join?

I'm 23, so a mature student and sent off my application today for Physics with a Foundation Year. I'm a little bit of a different one as I have no A Levels or even AS levels under my belt, and mediocre GCSE results, but I have my fingers crossed that Durham doesn't allow my mistakes as a teenager to affect my potential as an adult!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im also 23 and considering applying. Can you really gain entry with little to no qualifications? Surely theres a catch...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
That's exactly what I thought when I first started really looking into it earlier this year around April, but there actually isn't. There are exams to pass at the end of the foundation year, and if you don't then you don't gain access to the Bachelors Degree, but that is no different to any other year at University.

If it's something you want to do, go ahead and apply! There aren't many Universities that don't ask for A Levels even when they offer foundation years, so you don't need any more than 5 choices to send your applications to.

If they all come back and say no, then you know you need to go away and do something like an Access to HE diploma and come back next year :smile:

I've looked into the foundation year a lot at Durham so if you've got any questions about it I'll answer what I can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya @BredPennick

You are right, there is no catch. I had a chat with someone at the Foundation Centre and also my particular department and they were very positive about my prospects (I had mediocre GCSE results with some quite horrifying results for some of my subjects), I also don't have Maths. I have no A or AS Levels either.

I have plenty of work experience and I'm hoping that and a (hopefully fab) personal statement helps me enough to get in.

What college are you thinking of?
Reply 5
I'm currently on my 15th draft for my personal statement! I just feel that it has to be absolutely perfect along with my reference for them to notice me with a lack of a levels :')

I think I'm swinging towards Collingwood. The only downside I hear is that the food isn't as great as some of the other colleges, but every other pro about it makes up for that!

How about yourself? And what are you hoping to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was looking at St Mary's and Trev, hoping to study Politics.

However, I am finding it so very difficult to decide on a College - mostly because I'm worried about money. I will get full loans, etc, and believe I'll get the Durham Grant too, just unsure if it is right for me to go for a catered college, but I haven't really looked at that as a factor and know I'll end up not making a decision based on the catering or self catered part of the college.
Reply 7
If you're going to get the full £8,200 maintenance loan, plus the potential £2000 Durham Grant I'd definitely say go for catered. With catered, the closer your college is to the Politics building the better, as you know you'll be able to get back for lunch

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true, thank you. Nice to have it explained to me by someone else.
Reply 9
You're welcome :smile: if we both get in next September I'll treat you to a pint in the Collingwood pub :smile: might also be able to help you with budgeting and stuff since I'll be 24 by then and I'll have worked full time for 7 years :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, that'd be fab! Do keep me updated in the future about your College choice and if you get in :smile:

I think my issue with budgeting is more that I know I can do it and be calm and all sensible about it - I just get so stressed about money (especially recently due to my Mom and me struggling quite a bit).
Reply 11
Original post by BradPennick
That's exactly what I thought when I first started really looking into it earlier this year around April, but there actually isn't. There are exams to pass at the end of the foundation year, and if you don't then you don't gain access to the Bachelors Degree, but that is no different to any other year at University.

If it's something you want to do, go ahead and apply! There aren't many Universities that don't ask for A Levels even when they offer foundation years, so you don't need any more than 5 choices to send your applications to.

If they all come back and say no, then you know you need to go away and do something like an Access to HE diploma and come back next year :smile:

I've looked into the foundation year a lot at Durham so if you've got any questions about it I'll answer what I can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill defo have a look into that, Im considering maths/computer science myself. Keep us updated on your application will be good to see how you get on. Have you applied to any other unis?
Original post by LS28
Ill defo have a look into that, Im considering maths/computer science myself. Keep us updated on your application will be good to see how you get on. Have you applied to any other unis?

Well I've perfected my personal statement after about draft #20 so now I'm just waiting for my referee! My other 4 choices are York, Sussex, Southampton and Swansea. These are the only ones I could find that don't ask for a levels as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any other fellow Foundation Year Applicants for the 2017/18 academic year? What degree are you applying for and what college do you hope to join?

I'm 23, so a mature student and sent off my application today for Physics with a Foundation Year. I'm a little bit of a different one as I have no A Levels or even AS levels under my belt, and mediocre GCSE results, but I have my fingers crossed that Durham doesn't allow my mistakes as a teenager to affect my potential as an adult!

I'll be applying for a foundation degree too at Durham hopefully!
Bit of a different situation, I'm in my final year of sixth form, but not studying Maths which is a prerequisite for the course I want to study.
Need to get A*AA regardless and make my personal statement half decent

best of luck to you though buddy

Ash

Hi!
I too have applied to Durham, for the Applied Psychology with Foundation. I sent off my application yesterday - I'm 22 and have good GCSE's but I'm in a similar position - plus my A Levels are now in completely the wrong subjects after thinking I would previously do something within the creative industries.
The course sounded perfect for me so I definitely also have my fingers crossed!! Feel as though I'm going to be itching with anticipation over the coming month or so though as I've heard replies might not always be early and keep you waiting until the deadline. Will have to see! Good luck with your application!

Also anybody else applying for a course at the Stockton campus or Applied Psychology? :smile: What other courses have people applied to?

I've just received an unconditional offer to study archaeology with foundation! Considering I only have GCSE's and I sent my application off 10 days I am over the moon!
Original post by Redcastle22
I've just received an unconditional offer to study archaeology with foundation! Considering I only have GCSE's and I sent my application off 10 days I am over the moon!

Bloody hell congratulations! Gives me more hope for my application then! If I get in as well I'll be sure to drop you a message!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hey guys! I am 17 years old and I have applied for Politics with Foundation because I am an EU student and Durham does not accpet my country's national exams system as equivalent to A levels :frown:
I have already sent my applications (Cambridge, LSE, Durham, York, Bristol) and received an offer from York :smile:
I don't think my application is strong enough for Cambridge (probably LSE as well) so should I go for York instead of Durham foundation?
As far as I've understood Durham Foundation courses are for mature students/ students with low grades. However, I cannot include myself to any of these groups, do you think Durham Foundation is the right choice for me? I really appreciate the university's academic level :biggrin:
Honestly speaking, as amazing a University as Durham is, doing a Foundation year means you sacrifice a year of your life. York itself is quite a good university and is one of my other choices. If you're able to get straight into the degree with York, I'd recommend that. If sacrificing that year out of your life is something you're happy to, I'd never recommend any University over Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Hey guys. 21 year old here applying for foundation maths. Anyone else here applying for maths too? And if so, what qualifications do you have and have you been made an offer yet?

I'm actually completing a level physics this year so I'm wondering how exactly that affects my application.

Latest