The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Missed grades

I had Durham as a firm but missed the offer grades by 2 (ABC rather than AAB). The decision is still pending on UCAS. I know Durham has until next Wednesday to respond, but realistically if I don’t hear today, can I feasibly hope for a positive response next week. Or is that it, game over? So stressful!
Original post by Anonymous
I had Durham as a firm but missed the offer grades by 2 (ABC rather than AAB). The decision is still pending on UCAS. I know Durham has until next Wednesday to respond, but realistically if I don’t hear today, can I feasibly hope for a positive response next week. Or is that it, game over? So stressful!

I know Durham went into Clearing for some courses his year, so they might be seeing what candidates they can get on board via that process before deciding how to handle your application. Have you called them up to ask when they'd be likely to make a decision?

Does ABC meet the requirements of you insurance choice? If so, at least you know you have a place there if Durham say, "No thanks".
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your response. My course was one of the ones offered through Clearing this year but I understand that Clearing all closed at 12 noon yesterday. Durham say “wait” - they don’t have a timeline. I have been accepted by my insurance offer so I do have a back up. But I really want Durham! I just don’t know how long to stay hopeful for.

Hey there

I don't know what the outcome will be for you but I wouldn't give up hope until you've heard back from them. I know it might be very stressful but it's just one of those things in life that we have to deal with, who knows, it might even work out for the better. It's good though that you have a backup option and I'm sure that wherever you end up going, you'll enjoy your time :smile:

-Himieka
durham are known to do this to people from what ive seen - they keep people in limbo to try and find better applicants through clearing :frown:
Reply 5
Can you find any places in clearing for the foundation year - Durham have an excellent foundation programme covering many degree paths.
Reply 6
Thanks so much for your response. My course was one of the ones offered through Clearing this year but I understand that Clearing all closed at 12 noon yesterday. Durham say “wait” - they don’t have a timeline. I have been accepted by my insurance offer so I do have a back up. But I really want Durham! I just don’t know how long to stay hopeful for.

Durham have history for this ...
Reply 7
Update: I heard seven days after results day that I have been accepted! So thrilled. Like a few others I have been reallocated to my 14th choice college, but I couldn’t care less!! 😁
Update: I heard seven days after results day that I have been accepted! So thrilled. Like a few others I have been reallocated to my 14th choice college, but I couldn’t care less!! 😁

That's fantastic news! :biggrin: Thanks for letting us know.

Did they simply accept your ABC grades (against an AAB offer) requirement in the end, or did you go through a Review of Marking with your exam board and meet the grade requirement that way?
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
That's fantastic news! :biggrin: Thanks for letting us know.

Did they simply accept your ABC grades (against an AAB offer) requirement in the end, or did you go through a Review of Marking with your exam board and meet the grade requirement that way?

They accepted the ABC. I know I’m very lucky as I missed the offer by two grades. But my course was offered by Durham in clearing this year and is probably (to other people) an obscure course, so I’m assuming it was undersubscribed which is how I got in. Also it’s a science course and the A was for Chemistry and the B was for Biology. The C was for Business. The higher grades being sciences may have been taken into account? 🤷*♂️
They accepted the ABC. I know I’m very lucky as I missed the offer by two grades. But my course was offered by Durham in clearing this year and is probably (to other people) an obscure course, so I’m assuming it was undersubscribed which is how I got in. Also it’s a science course and the A was for Chemistry and the B was for Biology. The C was for Business. The higher grades being sciences may have been taken into account? 🤷*♂️

What is the course? Pleased it had a good outcome for you.

Excellent. Smart move picking an obscure course, clearly! :smile:

Yayy congratulations, I'm so happy for you! :awesome:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest