The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Foundation year if I miss my offer

Hi, so I'm a 22 year old mature student with an offer to study a BA(Hons) in Theology and Religion. I am at the end of my exams after doing my A levels in a year privately which definitely did not go as well as I expected due to extenuating circumstances. I was originally predicted A*A*A but am terrified I have achieved less than the contextual offer, BBB/ABC.
I emailed the foundation admissions email address but haven't received a response yet. Does anyone know if they would let me to the foundation year if I miss the contextual offer/availability of foundation year in clearing?
it really depends how well the rest of your cohort do. This is because all universities over offer places expecting people to go elsewhere/miss their grades so it depends how many people miss their grades and how close u get to ur offer not even ur prospective uni will be able to tell u until they get your results and analyse the field
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I'm a 22 year old mature student with an offer to study a BA(Hons) in Theology and Religion. I am at the end of my exams after doing my A levels in a year privately which definitely did not go as well as I expected due to extenuating circumstances. I was originally predicted A*A*A but am terrified I have achieved less than the contextual offer, BBB/ABC.
I emailed the foundation admissions email address but haven't received a response yet. Does anyone know if they would let me to the foundation year if I miss the contextual offer/availability of foundation year in clearing?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by user123456324
it really depends how well the rest of your cohort do. This is because all universities over offer places expecting people to go elsewhere/miss their grades so it depends how many people miss their grades and how close u get to ur offer not even ur prospective uni will be able to tell u until they get your results and analyse the field

I don't think this is true - Durham is very rigid about offer requirements. My question was whether they will let me change to a foundation year either now or in clearing
Do you qualify for the contextual offer?
I don't think this is true - Durham is very rigid about offer requirements. My question was whether they will let me change to a foundation year either now or in clearing
Reply 4
Original post by user123456324
Do you qualify for the contextual offer?

Yes
if you just miss your offer for theology and religion which is a less competitive course at durham u still have a chance to be accepted without hitting the grades as I said it depends on ur cohort
Yes
but also yes you should be able to be accepted onto the foundation course if you email them and wait for a response
They might consider you for the FY automatically if you miss your offer and they decide not to accept you onto the main course.

Contact their general admissions team to
confirm. The FY department may not be able to advise about this.
Reply 8

You can try but they probably done interviews for the foundation year candidates and it's unlikely.
Reply 9
You can try but they probably done interviews for the foundation year candidates and it's unlikely.

Yep with this the interviews were earlier this year and there was an essay to do alongside that as well and they judge both. I’ll be doing a foundation year myself and the interview, although super conversational, was really to establish whether or not it is suited to you. There aren't any grade boundaries for it so it makes sense that they judge it through other ways. They might look at it as transferring to another course possibly? With spaces in the foundation year there aren't too many spaces in it and I think there have been quite a few people who have been rejected if you pop over to the foundation year thread so there are a fair few applicants for that too.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest