The Student Room Group

Leeds & Durham foundation years

Durham & Leeds foundation years

Hi guys,
(TLDR) My question to start off with is: how selective are the Durham & Leeds (+ SOAS and Surrey) foundation years? Any other higher up unis that do foundation years in finance/economics? Opinions on Russel group foundation years in general? :smile:
I believe I may qualify for contextual offers too as I am the first person in my family to go to university, have low household income & live in an area with low progression to HE, so please if anyone has any advice on how to navigate contextual offers I would be most grateful.

I am wanting to apply for courses in the finance & economics field but due to the fact I do chemistry, physics & Eng lang A levels and had extenuating circumstances in year 12 which very negatively affected my grades I have to apply for foundation courses (I really don’t want to repeat year 13).
I believe my grades are going to be around BCD, hopefully BCC, I’m not strong at chem or physics and I am going through medical treatment, I’m hoping that my predicted grades will be around CCD. The required grades for the foundation years are CCC. I have my last round of mock exams at the end of November so I will be applying with those grades. I don’t have very good relationships with my teachers due to missing so much of year 12, they don’t understand haha, I will probably have to try and twist their arms to raise my predicted grades but I am getting a letter detailing my circumstances from the hospital which should help.
Also I just wanted to say that I am trying to apply for unis with the best graduate prospects, whilst still being realistic-ish in terms of grades required
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Forget Foundation courses.
Resit your A levels and apply next year.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger

Can I ask why?
Reply 3

yeah why?
Reply 4
A Foundation year adds to your debt and ties to that Uni and only that Uni.

Resit your A levels - you will be better prepared for a degree, have greater confidence, and have 5 UCAS choices.
Reply 5
A Foundation year adds to your debt and ties to that Uni and only that Uni.

Resit your A levels - you will be better prepared for a degree, have greater confidence, and have 5 UCAS choices.

Resitting my A levels is not really an option for me because of accommodation, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to apply for unis that require subjects (Maths, Econ at A level). I think I am better off trying to transfer to Year 2 (after foundation year & year 1) at a different university, if I even wanted to.
Original post by vsepr902
Resitting my A levels is not really an option for me because of accommodation, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to apply for unis that require subjects (Maths, Econ at A level). I think I am better off trying to transfer to Year 2 (after foundation year & year 1) at a different university, if I even wanted to.

Hi there!

Just a take on previous comments about foundation years "tying" you to a specific university. I didn't get the best A-Level grades (bio, chem & maths), and I knew I didn't want to resit them, for a number of reasons, including personal. I was accepted for a foundation year, but always had other universities in mind, and knew that being at a particular one for foundation wasn't going to stop me from transferring.

All I did was contact different universities (top choice being Surrey), explaining my situation and telling them which modules I was taking at foundation level, and they got back to me with their grade requirements and told me to apply via UCAS as normal.

Foundation years don't tie you to your university in any way. There isn't a standard procedure for transfers, so you need to contact your choices and discuss, but universities do understand the fact that students come from all types of backgrounds, and always do what they can to help.

Hope this clears that up.

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Reply 7
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep

Hi there!

Just a take on previous comments about foundation years "tying" you to a specific university. I didn't get the best A-Level grades (bio, chem & maths), and I knew I didn't want to resit them, for a number of reasons, including personal. I was accepted for a foundation year, but always had other universities in mind, and knew that being at a particular one for foundation wasn't going to stop me from transferring.

All I did was contact different universities (top choice being Surrey), explaining my situation and telling them which modules I was taking at foundation level, and they got back to me with their grade requirements and told me to apply via UCAS as normal.

Foundation years don't tie you to your university in any way. There isn't a standard procedure for transfers, so you need to contact your choices and discuss, but universities do understand the fact that students come from all types of backgrounds, and always do what they can to help.

Hope this clears that up.

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Thank you so much, this really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending