The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by um12
Like who? The whole oriel website is down. It gives a 502 server error which means an error at Oriel's end.

Any ideas?

working. God speed
Reply 781
oh dear.... what did you email exactly?

Oriel and foundation application representatives gave a talk at our university a few weeks ago. In which they said "if the website crashes on the last day, and you can't submit your applications, we don't care. You should have submitted them earlier".

Personally i dont accept this. Why set the deadline Friday if the website is down since Thursday??
Original post by um12
oh dear.... what did you email exactly?

Oriel and foundation application representatives gave a talk at our university a few weeks ago. In which they said "if the website crashes on the last day, and you can't submit your applications, we don't care. You should have submitted them earlier".

Personally i dont accept this. Why set the deadline Friday if the website is down since Thursday??

I'm an idiot. massive ocd over my whitespace answers which made me take longer. submitted. actually might throw up now because of the stress
Reply 783
Original post by Moonkin
I'm an idiot. massive ocd over my whitespace answers which made me take longer. submitted. actually might throw up now because of the stress

Well done for submitting it though mate.

I've just submitted mine as well. Also took way too long obsessing over those white space answers.
Original post by Beska
Yeh staying here, which means effectively I know my location (competition was 0.8 last year wooo!)

Well it's not the competition ratio that's important so much as the cutoffs. Can be a bit misleading if you look only at the CR. But yeah Northern has pretty low cutoffs too so it's pretty much a shoe-in

Committed to Scotland now. Pretty crazy... and still so worried that I might not get in!
Original post by um12
Well done for submitting it though mate.

I've just submitted mine as well. Also took way too long obsessing over those white space answers.

Yeah well done lad. Atleast it's over ... for now
Just saw on Twitter that ukfpo application deadline extended...
Teachnical difficulties or have they not had enough applicants yet?!
Original post by ForestCat
Ohh, what kind of things are you hoping to do?

Sorry to hear about the getting dumped but whoop well done on London. First marathon?

Found a management and leadership one down in Brighton. Its the closest to Emergency med and it looks very relaxed as you can create your own project and i like the rotations and love Brighton. So here's hoping I can put my UG degree to some good use.*
Hows your year going?*
Guys which stethoscope would you advise for clinical years?

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 789
Original post by kate4354

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version

The Classic SE is fine (think there's an upgraded version now). No real harm if you want to get the cardiology though (but don't get the master cardio - you need to usually have both bell and diaphragm to go through the motions in OSCEs). Get the OHCM but get the normal size one, the tiny one is a bit ridiculous.
Original post by kate4354

Original post by Beska
The Classic SE is fine (think there's an upgraded version now). No real harm if you want to get the cardiology though (but don't get the master cardio - you need to usually have both bell and diaphragm to go through the motions in OSCEs). Get the OHCM but get the normal size one, the tiny one is a bit ridiculous.

We've been told by older years that consultants on wards rip the **** out of students with fancy stethoscopes like the cardiology ones...
Original post by Anonymous
We've been told by older years that consultants on wards rip the **** out of students with fancy stethoscopes like the cardiology ones...

Again the above message was me, no idea why the anon box keeps staying ticked !
Original post by Zain-A

Weird. I and many other medical students have the cardiology ones and it never draws comments...

I have seen a consultant make a smarmy comment on somebody's electronic amplifying stethoscope, but that was quickly retracted when he found out the student is partially deaf :P
No one tells you about the fact that medicine is full of hardcore alcoholics in the open days, every time I say to myself "today I will catch up" a sesh appears.

prsom, these people actually don't stop drinking
Reply 794

I think that's probably more of an urban legend than anything else. There's very little difference visually between the Cardiology and the Classic, other than the former being just generally thicker and more robust (as you'd expect). You'd probably draw some more looks if you had the Master Cardiology just because it's very clearly a completely different stethoscope and looks completely different and hence is more obvious even across the ward. But with the Classic/Cardiology they'd have to 1) know the difference between the two, 2) look closely enough with intent to notice the difference and then 3) want to make the active effort to rip you for it.

Original post by Zain-A

It's just some site-wide setting... wasn't designed for massive threads like this! It's just so in case it's a sexual health thread or whatever happens in that other area of the forum (:p:) the OP doesn't accidentally become non-anon and hence reveal all their secrets. In here it's just a bit irritating but nothing we can do about it apparently!
Studying on a train is great idea until your PBL case is all reproductive science. Pictures EVERYWHERE.
Has anyone tried the cardiology IV yet? Seems to have only recently appeared though charges quite a bit more than the III and the master cardiology.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
prsom, these people actually don't stop drinking

Next five years should be fun then

Original post by Beska
I think that's probably more of an urban legend than anything else. There's very little difference visually between the Cardiology and the Classic, other than the former being just generally thicker and more robust (as you'd expect). You'd probably draw some more looks if you had the Master Cardiology just because it's very clearly a completely different stethoscope and looks completely different and hence is more obvious even across the ward. But with the Classic/Cardiology they'd have to 1) know the difference between the two, 2) look closely enough with intent to notice the difference and then 3) want to make the active effort to rip you for it.

It's just some site-wide setting... wasn't designed for massive threads like this! It's just so in case it's a sexual health thread or whatever happens in that other area of the forum (:p:) the OP doesn't accidentally become non-anon and hence reveal all their secrets. In here it's just a bit irritating but nothing we can do about it apparently!

Thanks for explaining the anon thing! And yeah I see your point about the cardiology scope now, people in this school made it sound like if you didn't have the classic you were a mug who paid more for nothing so I ended up just getting the classic hahaha
Original post by Zain-A
Next five years should be fun then

Thanks for explaining the anon thing! And yeah I see your point about the cardiology scope now, people in this school made it sound like if you didn't have the classic you were a mug who paid more for nothing so I ended up just getting the classic hahaha

To be fair, the classic is more than good enough to get you through medical school. (The annoying thing is that the cardiology has better colours :wink: )
Reply 799
Original post by plrodham1
Has anyone tried the cardiology IV yet? Seems to have only recently appeared though charges quite a bit more than the III and the master cardiology.

It blocks out ambient sound a lot better than my old classic II, but that is probably confounded by the fact my classic II was all but completely knackered hence the need for a new stethoscope!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending