The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
It blocks out ambient sound a lot better than my old classic II, but that is probably confounded by the fact my classic II was all but completely knackered hence the need for a new stethoscope!

I'm really in need of an update as i feel that the classic II is actually quite poor compared to a cardio III that i tried recently, just not quite sure if the cardiology IV will be worth the increase in price (though realistically this will probably be the last one i buy so might as well make it a good one to get through foundation and core training).
Original post by Mrs House
3 weeks of endo done. Really interesting.

Started renal today, renal physiology :frown: i feel like i've been hit by a bus

I still don't quite get how it all changes in the loop of Henle....good luck with that! :tongue:

Original post by kate4354
Guys which stethoscope would you advise for clinical years?

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version

at my med school they advised us to get 'regular size' Oxford Handbook of CM, 8th edition. But that may be due to the fact that we have an open book exam coming up and Oxford Handbook of CM is the only one allowed :P
I finished my renal placement a little while ago, and I'm convinced you could be a nephrologist without really understanding how kidneys work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nottie
at my med school they advised us to get 'regular size' Oxford Handbook of CM, 8th edition. But that may be due to the fact that we have an open book exam coming up and Oxford Handbook of CM is the only one allowed :P

I adore my pocket sized version though! So handy. Not sure I could be arsed crawling back to my bag every time I wanted to check something.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I finished my renal placement a little while ago, and I'm convinced you could be a nephrologist without really understanding how kidneys work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, there are still pixies in the loop of Henle.
Blood goes in one end, piss comes out the other.

No blood = no piss.
If blood present and no piss ?blocked tubes

What more do you need?
Any advice appreciated on how not to look like a tit tomorrow morning.

Been assigned to anaesthetics (to a paediatric/obstetric anaesthetist) but have literally no information beyond that from the med school/hospital. No info on where to go, or when, or to what operating theatre, what ward. It feels like a literal stab in the dark I'm here for a week.

Emailed the consultant this evening after finding out I'm there (had an authorised absence today so found out late), but unlikely they'll see it before tomorrow AM.

Any ideas where best to go/ask/introduce myself to the anaesthetic team? Should I go for pre-op management somewhere, what time etc? Does this vary?

Arghhh
Original post by MJK91

Been assigned to anaesthetics (to a paediatric/obstetric anaesthetist) but have literally no information beyond that from the med school/hospital. No info on where to go, or when, or to what operating theatre, what ward. It feels like a literal stab in the dark I'm here for a week.

Emailed the consultant this evening after finding out I'm there (had an authorised absence today so found out late), but unlikely they'll see it before tomorrow AM.

Any ideas where best to go/ask/introduce myself to the anaesthetic team? Should I go for pre-op management somewhere, what time etc? Does this vary?

Arghhh

If its an obstetric anaesthetist then i would go to labour ward and ask whoever's there. They'll be able to point you towards obstetric theatres if nothing else.

I'd show up for 0730-0800ish. Anaesthetists start early, but any earlier is a bit unreasonable on you if you haven't been told anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Nottie
I still don't quite get how it all changes in the loop of Henle....good luck with that! :tongue:

Original post by Helenia
Meh, as far as I'm concerned, there are still pixies in the loop of Henle.

Original post by Etomidate
Blood goes in one end, piss comes out the other.

No blood = no piss.
If blood present and no piss ?blocked tubes

What more do you need?

Hahahahahaha you guys made my day :tongue:
I actually understand the physiology now, not 100% but enough to actually understand what's going on most of the time haha
Original post by MJK91

Arghhh

I'd turn up to theatres around 8 or a little earlier (sorry!), ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you can find out what theatre Dr X is in, or if there's an anaesthetic rota anywhere. If they're actually on labour ward, head there and ask the midwives, otherwise they'll probably either be in their designated theatre or seeing patients in whatever pre-op area your hospital has (some have different areas for day surgery vs inpatient ops). If all else fails, head back to that theatre for 8.30ish, which is when most lists start, and by then there'll at least be an ODP/other theatre staff around who might be able to help out more. Good luck!
Original post by nexttime
If its an obstetric anaesthetist then i would go to labour ward and ask whoever's there. They'll be able to point you towards obstetric theatres if nothing else.

I'd show up for 0730-0800ish. Anaesthetists start early, but any earlier is a bit unreasonable on you if you haven't been told anything.

Original post by Helenia
I'd turn up to theatres around 8 or a little earlier (sorry!), ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you can find out what theatre Dr X is in, or if there's an anaesthetic rota anywhere. If they're actually on labour ward, head there and ask the midwives, otherwise they'll probably either be in their designated theatre or seeing patients in whatever pre-op area your hospital has (some have different areas for day surgery vs inpatient ops). If all else fails, head back to that theatre for 8.30ish, which is when most lists start, and by then there'll at least be an ODP/other theatre staff around who might be able to help out more. Good luck!

Thanks both! :smile:
Original post by MJK91
I adore my pocket sized version though! So handy. Not sure I could be arsed crawling back to my bag every time I wanted to check something.

well according to our lecturer the print is so small you cant read anything :P.
The standard book is quite small too anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

we dont even have a proper renal placement...
kidneys are now my worst nightmare. :s-smilie:
Got the list of hospital choices through for 4th (finals) year :eek:

Any help on picking between major teaching hospitals and DGHs where there's more time for them to teach and the highest pass rates but less interesting cases and specialities? Only been in one teaching hospital as a student so far (which wasn't great or well organised) and I'm on community right now, so no chance to see the others before I pick...
Original post by Anonymous

Any help on picking between major teaching hospitals and DGHs where there's more time for them to teach and the highest pass rates but less interesting cases and specialities? Only been in one teaching hospital as a student so far (which wasn't great or well organised) and I'm on community right now, so no chance to see the others before I pick...

Do you know any students or doctors who have already been to any of them to ask? I think several reviews from last years students would be the best guide.
Is the pass rate actually significantly different?

In my experience DGH's can often feel more friendly because you get to know a smaller group of people better and you can also feel more included in the team when on the ward. The benefit of seeing lots of common conditions is that you can do more/be more involved and get more confident in the things that are really likely to come up in finals (and as a doctor). Also interesting cases often present initially at the DGH.

But equally if the set up is good in a big teaching hospital, you would also have a great placement, there may well be more formal teaching opportunities etc. It's not like common conditions only present at small hospitals, you will still get enough experience of the bread and butter stuff, and lots more besides.

IME it's mostly about the organisation and attitudes of the teaching staff. I'd recommend having both experiences, so if you've already had a big teaching hospital but not a DGH, I'd be inclined to ask for one. As long as you haven't heard bad things about the hospital.
Well getting to theatre for 7:30 was an abject failure (attempt #2 tomorrow) but managed to get in for day cases in the afternoon :smile: helped with a few practical procedures + learnt how much I don't know about pharmacology...
Original post by Anonymous

Im of the view of DGH all the way... Ive been in huge teaching hospitals and you tend to get lost in the system. I've found i the DGH's Im given a lot more responsibility and they just have more time for you. You do get the more common stuff which is great as when would i need to know about a super rare cardiac problem/endocrine thing that they have nay 3 cases a year of?
Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful :frown:
Reply 818
Original post by Miss Purple
Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful :frown:

Back pain from studying ?!

How on earth are you studying? (A serious question here) ... bad posture I suspect.
Anyone got any advice on electives?
I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia, but I'm also quite drawn to Germany (except the language may be an issue; I speak German okayish, but not any medical German...).
Of course all depends on whether I could actually get a placement in any of these places but I don't know where to apply in the first place :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending